Tags:
  1. Edytawriter

Edytawriter New Member

Edyta thread

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Edytawriter, Sep 11, 2015.

I'm not really sure what this work will be titled, but basically I'm having a bit of trouble deciding a few things for my Edyta character that I've been working on for so long.

Description of her: Edyta is in her early 20s, has blue hair and glasses, and ALWAYS wears a thick heavy fur coat, no matter how warm or hot it is in the area she is in. As you can tell, Edyta is a Polish woman, who is also very rich. Edyta is a stereotypical "wanderer, introverted but calm and confident antagonist" type of character. She roams around wherever she pleases and destroys whatever is in her way with wind powers (the reader is supposed to infer that this is why Edyta wears a fur coat, is because of the strong winds she produces in order to protect herself). She barely has "plans" for things, she sort of just walks about and does what she wants, since she is the most powerful person in the world, obviously, and calls herself the world's "indirect ruler" (meaning she does not physically rule everything but can still do what she wants with anything she wants), and also as a "Goddess" (even though she is not actually a Goddess, she just has abilities that were completely unknown to even exist.

Now she does have two followers. Their names are Cliff and Emily: they are Americans who she "kidnapped" from America so that they can be around her more often because of an online, long distance, polyamorous relationship they were all in (where Edyta is obviously the "alpha female" in the relationship). Though I'm not really sure if one can call it a "kidnapping" because both of the kids had a very strong desire to get away from their strict parents. Nevertheless it was still very illegal and morally wrong.

Edyta refers to them as her "children" that she must protect, and thus they always are with her at all times, or else the kids fear they may be captured by police or other bad people. There are many incidents in the story where police or military officials approach them, but Edyta is always with them and she basically created an inhumanly strong wind current that blows all the officers/gang members/other threats far off in the opposite direction, and this was nothing to Edyta. She literally will just keep on walking whenever there is a threat, wave her hand, and the strong winds defeat them, as she still continues to walk, as if nothing had happened at all.

Edyta may sound bad, but the fact is that, besides her own evil, power hungry desires that she carries out calmly, quietly, and confidently, her main goal is to protect the "children". In the story, she travels to the US and completely destroys a lot of the people who have bullied the two in the past without any mercy given, and if bystanders get hurt/killed in the process, she could also care less. She also seeks revenge against Cliff's overconfident and strict father who made him feel bad for the past 17 years of his life while he lived in his fathers custody. His father, since the father is obviously a mortal human, is easily defeated by her.

After that, countries around the world see the disasters Edyta causes and countries around the world desire the power she possesses, which cause lots of other conflicts in the story.

I know this is a lot of content but this is just a basic summary of the very long story I plan to write.

So the question I have for you guys is this. Because Edyta is obviously an evil, ruthless, scary, and villainous character, however the only people she actually cares about are her followers and would do anything come hell or high waters to protect them and take care of them, should she really be seen as a v
    I'm not really sure what this work will be titled, but basically I'm having a bit of trouble deciding a few things for my Edyta character that I've been working on for so long.

Description of her: Edyta is in her early 20s, has blue hair and glasses, and ALWAYS wears a thick heavy fur coat, no matter how warm or hot it is in the area she is in. As you can tell, Edyta is a Polish woman, who is also very rich. Edyta is a stereotypical "loner antagonist" type of character. She roams around wherever she pleases and destroys whatever is in her way with wind powers (the reader is supposed to infer that this is why Edyta wears a fur coat, is because of the strong winds she produces in order to protect herself). She barely has "plans" for things, she sort of just walks about and does what she wants, since she is the most powerful person in the world, obviously, and calls herself the world's "indirect ruler" (meaning she does not physically rule everything but can still do what she wants with anything she wants), and also as a "Goddess" (even though she is not actually a Goddess, she just has abilities that were completely unknown to even exist.

Now she does have two followers. Their names are Cliff and Emily: they are Americans who she "kidnapped" from America so that they can be around her more often because of an online, long distance, polyamorous relationship they were all in (where Edyta is obviously the "alpha female" in the relationship). Though I'm not really sure if one can call it a "kidnapping" because both of the kids had a very strong desire to get away from their strict parents. Nevertheless it was still very illegal and morally wrong.

Edyta refers to them as her "children" that she must protect, and thus they always are with her at all times, or else the kids fear they may be captured by police or other bad people. There are many incidents in the story where police or military officials approach them, but Edyta is always with them and she basically created an inhumanly strong wind current that blows all the officers/gang members/other threats far off in the opposite direction, and this was nothing to Edyta. She literally will just keep on walking whenever there is a threat, wave her hand, and the strong winds defeat them, as she still continues to walk, as if nothing had happened at all.

Edyta may sound bad, but the fact is that, besides her own evil, power hungry desires that she carries out calmly, quietly, and confidently, her main goal is to protect the "children". In the story, she travels to the US and completely destroys a lot of the people who have bullied the two in the past without any mercy given, and if bystanders get hurt/killed in the process, she could also care less. She also seeks revenge against Cliff's overconfident and strict father who made him feel bad for the past 17 years of his life while he lived in his fathers custody. His father, since the father is obviously a mortal human, is easily defeated by her.

After that, countries around the world see the disasters Edyta causes and countries around the world desire the power she possesses, which cause lots of other conflicts in the story.

I know this is a lot of content but this is just a basic summary of the very long story I plan to write.

So the question I have for you guys is this. Because Edyta is obviously an evil, ruthless, scary, and villainous character, however the only people she actually cares about are her followers and would do anything come hell or high waters to protect them and take care of them, should she really be seen as a complete villain? I mean, the followers and Edyta are really the main characters of the story. The followers don't really do anything bad since they have no powers, but let edyta do all the nasty stuff without questions. Does the character Edyta deserve any credit for trying so hard to protect them and make them her top priority? Anyone have any tips as far as that goes? I mean, the followers and Edyta are really the main characters of the story. The followers don't really do anything bad since they have no powers, but let edyta do all the nasty stuff without questions. Does the character Edyta deserve any credit for trying so hard to protect them and make them her top priority? Anyone have any tips as far as that goes?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  2. Edytawriter

Edytawriter New Member

Oh and the universe of this story is just like in real life, with her being the only science fictiony part of the story pretty much. There aren't other characters with similar powers. She is the most powerful thing on the planet.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Oh, gosh. Well, this is actually your story, and you need to answer these kinds of questions yourself.

As I was reading through, I found the character of Editya interesting, and certainly very original. I'm not so sure about her two followers, because as yet they have no personalities, only a vague background.

My biggest question is not 'is she a villain,' but what is the actual story here? You've given us a very intriguing character, but no real story. All you've given us is stuff that happens, but no real direction. What you need to start thinking about is the direction of your story. How will things be different at the end than they are at the beginning?

Since you've created a character with so many intriguing and original qualities, don't fall into the old cliche of labeling her a 'villain' or a 'hero,' or labeling her at all. Start to work with what you've created, and start thinking about where you want this to go.

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

No, I can't tell that she's Polish...but I'm guessing that you are...

5. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

I think you can't answer that question before you start answering another. Why does she care for these two disciples? Is it love - and you mentioned a polyamorous relationship? Or because she calls them children, is it something more motherly / big sisterly? If the latter you might want to consider Cersei from Game of Thrones and all the terrible things she will do for her rotten son - even knowing what a monster he is.

Another character you might want to consider is She - Ayeshe - from Rider Haggard. An old archetype of the eternal queen with heavy magic. A baddie, but still with some redemptive features in her.

I also think no matter what you have to give her more back story to explain why she's so ruthless and willing to kill. Perhaps not one as convoluted as in Once Upon A Time - but do look at their villainesses. Why do they do what they do? What is it that they want?

The other thing I'd mention is that her wind power is useful. But doesn't make her invulnerable. Think land mines and IED's. If she doesn't know they're there well its bad news baby!!!

Cheers, Greg.