Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Kids make mistakes; parents are jerks

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Steerpike, Oct 10, 2015.

Was getting coffee today, and a driver backed into my car. Turns out it was a fifteen year old girl with no license. She panicked and tried to get out of the parking lot in a hurry and ran into a second car.

No one was hurt, luckily. As panicked as she was I'm glad she didn't pull into the street and get in a more serious accident. She was crying hysterically and the other driver and I were trying to calm her a bit. I told her if that's the worse thing she ever does during her teen years she's doing OK. Not to minimize that she could have hurt herself or someone, but I figure it'll be a good lesson.

Then dad shows up and is cursing at her and calling her all kinds of names and trying to make her walk home with no shoes (though he went after her and called her back when the police arrived). I wasn't pissed about the car, but now I am. Guy never even asked if she was OK. I told him to chill and then he's made at me too. Complete jackass. So I'm venting :/

Shattered Shields and Shadowfax like this.
  2. Moth

Moth Active Member

Makes sense that she was to panicked at the accident if that's who she was going to have to answer to for it. It's always good to avoid assumptions - the guy could have been having a very bad day and this event was the dam breaking - but, even then, you'd expect a parent to worry over their teenage daughter's health after two car accidents, regardless of how small.

The walking home without shoes seems a needlessly sadistic punishment to me.

Shattered Shields likes this.
  3. Steerpike

I don't care what kind of day you're having. You don't berate a 15 year old girl like that.

4. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

What a heartless son of a bitch. No damn wonder she was so scared and having a breakdown if this is who she has to put up with. There's being disappointed at your kid driving without a license and giving someone's car a love tap and there's...this.

There's a vast gulf between 'I had a bad day and this was the thing that pushed me over the edge' and 'I'm going to berate and belittle my daughter -- who is crying her eyes out -- and try to force her to walk home barefoot.' It'd be one thing if he were simply just angry, but had control of himself enough to ask her if she were OK and to let this be a lesson to her for the future. From what Steerpike said, this didn't happen. Sounds like he's an abusive parent.

Christ, if this is how he acts over this minor incident, I'd hate to imagine how he'd act if she really screwed up. :eek:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  5. matwoolf

matwoolf Contributing Member Contributor

Then some citizen dweeb calls the police.

'Hey, hey missy, put on your shoes for gosh sake...'

'Mister, if the young lady don't want to wear those heels, then why you making her, heh?'

'But, but she was driving a car.'

'I wasn't driving a car, sir, I was with my daddy, then this, this writer freak tells me to 'put on them shoes.'

'You're coming with me sir.'

'What the fuck!'

'Soliciting a minor AND assault of a police officer in language. Cuff him, Benzo.'

Sifunkle and BrianIff like this.
  6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I have al Jazeera news on and this very second they advertised Camp Last Resort which appears to take bad parenting one step further.

7. Link the Writer

And some people wonder why teens don't respect their elders. Respect has to be earned, not given just because one of them is older by decades.

8. Aire

Aire Banned Sock-Puppet

Unfortunately, some people aren't fit to be "parents" to a fruit-fly. Being a "parent" to a child is beyond them.

This guy sound like an A-grade arse. No adds, ifs, or buts about it.

I mean everyone has a bad day.

But from the sounds of it the guy didn't have a bad day but is something of a bully [and a coward really - as she obviously can't "hit back"]. I mean why else would "pops" degrade her in front of everyone else, when she is obviously very upset. "Parent" is the furthest thing I'd call this guy.

9. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contest Administrator Contributor

Being a parent isn't easy, but if it makes you feel any better my Dad will get pissed off with me too sometimes and yell at me for really no reason. He does apologize afterward though, so maybe it was the same deal with this guy. Well hopefully.

10. Steerpike

This was beyond just yelling.

Still makes me mad thinking about it, and it's not easy to make me mad.

11. theoriginalmonsterman

Did you say anything to the police?

12. Steerpike

No. The officer just hung around long enough to make sure everyone exchanged insurance. He left before we even noticed he was going. Not sure he'd do anything about the yelling, and he didn't cite the girl or anything, which is fine with me. He could have.

13. theoriginalmonsterman

Hmm... I would've asked if he could've done anything, but I guess unless the father is caught physically hurting the kid then there's nothing the officer can do about it.

14. Link the Writer

I agree. Unless there was physical evidence of abuse, not much that could be done. :/ Not at that moment.

15. Australis

Australis Active Member

Fifteen year old girl with no licence, takes his car, smashes into two other cars, and he's not meant to be upset?

How many people would have hit their child? A majority. Maybe even a majority here. Don't demand perfection unless you're perfect yourself.

16. Steerpike

Completely missed the point. Perhaps re-reading the thread more slowly would prove to be of value.

17. Ben414

Ben414 Contributing Member Contributor

The police don't really handle child neglect; they don't even handle most child abuse cases. However, calling the state's child abuse hotline to report the incident might be enough to warrant a Child Welfare Services assessment (used in California for investigations that aren't severe enough to require a Child Protective Services investigation).

It's incredibly ridiculous you think asking parents to not beat their kids is asking for perfection.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    Tenderiser likes this.
  18. Australis

Australis Active Member

Nowhere does the OP write this. HOW DARE YOU WRITE THIS AGAINST ME.

19. Australis

Australis Active Member

Actually, I missed that she tried to drive away from the scene (which is how she hit the second car).

I know your point. It's just that it's not entirely fair in the imperfect world.
    You condemn the dad for reacting "too harshly". I bet he would have been condemned if he reacted too softly too. You want a Goldilocks. Well Goldilocks don't exist.

I wish that parents never hit or screamed at their kids either. However, if you wait for this perfection, well the earth won't exist before then. It may be hard, well it is for me, but you need to develop a tolerance level, because people aren't perfect beings.

20. Ben414

I quoted it verbatim from you in my post. In other words: troll confirmed.

21. Australis

Australis Active Member

You accuse me of supporting child abuse, of supporting the bashing of kids, and you expect me to me absolutely pristine in return. Not going to happen mate.

22. Ben414

I'll bite one more time so other people can see definitively you are a troll, and then I'll ignore you.

You said: :"Fifteen year old girl with no licence, takes his car, smashes into two other cars, and he's not meant to be upset?
    How many people would have hit their child? A majority. Maybe even a majority here. Don't demand perfection unless you're perfect yourself."

Through simple logic, you are saying that asking people to not hit their children in that situation is asking for perfection.

I said
    : "It's incredibly ridiculous you think asking parents to not beat their kids is asking for perfection."

I am saying your argument (i.e. asking people to not hit their children in that situation is asking for perfection) is incredibly ridiculous. Pretty self-explanatory.

You said
    : "You accuse me of supporting child abuse, of supporting the bashing of kids, and you expect me to me absolutely pristine in return. Not going to happen mate."

I quite obviously never said either of those things. You have been proven guilty of trolling. QED.

23. Australis

Australis Active Member

Bullshit Ben414.

24. Australis

Australis Active Member

Ben414. You make a completely false allegation claiming that I support child abuse. Then you talk a load of nonsense. And you accuse me of trolling?

You are really a piece of work.

25. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Staff Supporter Contributor

:chill:

Time to move on. Personal attacks belong to Twitter and Tumblr. Let's stick to the subject matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.