1. Protar

Protar Active Member

Middle-eastern names

Discussion in 'Research' started by Protar, May 31, 2011.

So in the fantasy book I'm writing there's going to be a subplot that will hopefully tie in with the main one in a couple of books time. So the subplot is based in a sort of middle eastern nation and I was wondering about authentic Arabic and middle eastern names names. Anyone know any or a good site with lots of them? The POV character for this plot is currently called Ahjad Abbasin, I just made up Ahjad but Abbas means lion in Arabic apparently and they're a race of humanoid cat-people so I thought it was good. More authentic names would be welcome. Before anyone says so I am also looking on Google but the more help the better so...

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you don't need anything beyond google for this info... it's all there...

3. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan New Member

You can even look up baby name websites. There's tons of those. There's also an excellent website, behindthename.com (or something like that), which has whole lists of names from different cultures and regions.

4. _Lulu_

_Lulu_ New Member

I'm actually half Arabic so I can help you a great deal ;)

You said you made up the name Ahjad? well, if you replace the 'h' with 'm' so it'll be Amjad, you'll have an Arabic name which means Greater Glory :)

Are you after common or rare names?
    Male or Female?
    Is the meaning important to you?

5. Protar

Protar Active Member

Well I expect I'll have both male and female characters from this nation so names from both genders will be needed. As for meaning it's not overly important but as they're like humanoid lions, lion or cat themed names would be best. And also anything meaning storm or thunder for the POV character as he's "Stormchosen" which is a like a religious figure in my story.

6. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Also, "Middle Eastern" means Arab Muslim (Shia, Sunni), Arab Christian (Christian names of Aramaic/Syriac origin, Arabic names, European names) and Hebrew/Israeli. So which one is it?

7. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

You've said it, ManOfSteel. I think the OP should decide on the type of Middle Eastern nation he wants.

Also, if you Google you can find names that are common in many countries, like Ayşe/Aisha and its other variations, and some names that are only used in one country. The Christian/Muslim thing is important, too, although some cross all the divide, like Davud/David.

8. Protar

Protar Active Member

I think they'll be mostly Arab Muslim, but as it's a fantasy nation I expect I'll take some features from other nations and cultures. I'm also having a related race based around India (These guys will be tigers instead of lions.) But I don't think my characters will be visiting that area just yet.

9. _Lulu_

_Lulu_ New Member

(M) - meaning Lion
    Asad (this one is a direct translation)
    Osama
    Laith
    Hamza
    Haidar

Fahad (M) = Panther
    Nimr (M) = Tiger

No male names for storm or thunder but, Ghaith (M) = Rain.

Nimra (F) = Soft, Lion

Some random (F) names.

Jamila - Beautiful
    Leila (my name hehe) - Night
    Amaya - Night rain
    Sofia - Wisdom

Hope that was some help, there's loads of websites too as there is a meaning for every Arabic name.

1 person likes this.
  10. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

Sofia is greek, not arabic!

11. _Lulu_

_Lulu_ New Member

It's origin yes, but lot's of countries adopt foreign names so it's not unusual for an Arabic girl to be named Sofia, infact Sofia is a popular name among Arabs ;)

12. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

Sofia is not a specific arabian name, and on the other side other names like David are used among christian arabs as well, I thought the OP wanted something more specific like Abdel, Abu, Jarim, Karim, Khaled, etc...

13. _Lulu_

_Lulu_ New Member

George is a very popular name for Arab Christians, I haven't actually heard of anyone called David (birth name) though.
    Well, apart from Sofia all the names I listed are specific Arabic names. I just thought that since Sofia is a popular name in the Arab world it wouldn't matter. My name is Arabic (I think it originates from Persia though) and it's used by Turks.
    Nancy is another name that's popular among Arabs :p

The most common name's though are Mohammad, Ahmad and Ali. Every Muslim family has at least one.

14. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan New Member

I think it should be noted that a number of Arabic names also have Judaeo-Christian equivalents besides the aforementioned David/Davud (i.e., if I remember correctly, Yusuf=Joseph, Suleiman/Sulayman/however you spell it = Solomon, Ibrahim = Abraham, etc.).

However, for the OP - are you just thinking of a generic Middle Eastern name, or would you prefer specifically something that is more common among, say, Arabs, or Persians, or Turks, or Armenians, or Egyptians, etc. etc.? Sometimes even the same name might differ in spelling or pronounciation...

15. Protar

Protar Active Member

Thanks that was very helpful I'll be sure to use some of them :) Thanks to everyone else as well for their support.

16. _Lulu_

_Lulu_ New Member

You're most welcome :)

17. Protar

Protar Active Member

Just out of interest though (I might be able to use it somehow.) what is thunder or storm in arabic? I've looked on the internet but the answer comes up in arabic text which I, you know...can't read.

18. _Lulu_

_Lulu_ New Member

This is going to be awkward to explain lol.

Two of the letters doesn't exist in the English language.

Storm - Azafa (The first A is quite sharp from the throat and the z is quite soft, something between s and z)

Thunder - Raed (The a is the same as above I put the e to bring it down a bit)

I'll find out an easier way to explain or if there's another word for them if you like. Or perhaps you can hear it being said online?

19. Protar

Protar Active Member

That's OK thanks you've been very helpful. I did try hearing it on Google translate but that doesn't give the spelling in the English alphabet. Interestingly it didn't sound anything like what you said but it's not exactly very reliable. Thank you for all your help :).

20. Ashrynn

Ashrynn Active Member

Yousef

Mohammed

Mahmood

Sammer

I have a bunch of names as I'm half Arab!

21. _Lulu_

_Lulu_ New Member

Ok, as by now you have probably seen I've left this as a reply on your profile page but just incase anyone else needs the info, it's also here.

It only occured to me as someone gave me a rep with a message saying I should mention the word 'Bin/Ben' and it's meaning. (I have no idea what post the rep was given for, just this thread so off topic if anyone could message me how to find out as I couln't figure it out myself I would be grateful :redface:) I then thought it would be useful to know the words 'Abu' and 'Em' and their meanings on how their used.

Anyway, the word (pronounced) IBN (Ben or Bin) such as: sorry for the example! 'Osama bin Laden'
    Means 'son of'
    So he is 'Osama son of Laden' (Ibn used on it's own just means son)

So, you could use: 'Laith bin Asad' = Laith son of Asad. Normally, it is not common to use one's name like this (with Ben or Bin) unless that is what he is formally known as. Think 'Bin Asad' as the surname.

Another thing, you may consider useful is the addressing of parents which is very common, is:
    Abu = Father of and Em = Mother of.
    It's always the eldest son's name placed after that.

So, for example:
    Asad is the father, Jamila is the mother and their children are Nada (Daugher, age 20) Laith (Son, age 15) and Osama (Son, age 5)

Notice the daugher is the eldest but Asad would be known as 'Abu Laith' and Jamila would be known as 'Em Laith'

The only time a daugher's name would take place is if the parents have no son's but as soon as a son is born then his name would be used instead of the daughters.

Both 'Abu .....' and 'Em ......' are used just as much as their real names by friends and relatives. It's just a matter of preference.