1. aqsmorningview

aqsmorningview New Member

is this a good idea for an illustrated childrens book?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by aqsmorningview, Jul 27, 2014.

I'm in the process of writing a children's illustrated book for preschoolers where its set in the preschool I went to as a child.showing off the owner,people i met,and the weird things that happened their.i know I shouldnt say the name of the place directly in the story or have the real names of the people im talking about either or can I?Would this be an interesting and compelling story to tell for preschoolers? also should i use human illustrations or use their liking and have them be animals?

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Welcome to the forum. If I may be so bold:

"I'm in the process of writing an illustrated book for preschoolers. It's set in the preschool I went to as a child, showing off the owner, people I met, and the weird things that happened there. I know I shouldn't say the name of the place directly in the story or have the real names of the people I'm talking about either or can I? Would this be an interesting and compelling story to tell for preschoolers? Also, should I use human illustrations or use their likeness and have them be animals?"
    My first suggestion is to quit using text shortcuts and pay a little closer attention to your grammar and style.

There, not their
    Preschoolers are children, no need to be redundant.
    Likeness, not liking
    The sentence, "I know I shouldn't ... or can I" could be better worded.

As for an illustrated children's book about a preschool, it's a great idea. There are lots of books with the same theme but then there's always another interesting way to present the similar material.

I would think that animals or people as characters depends on the illustrator's skills. Are you planning to be the illustrator yourself?

3. aqsmorningview

i'm defiantly going to illustrate it myself i'm first and foremost an illustrator at heart.

4. GingerCoffee

You're in a writers' forum. We definitely ;) like to see words capitalized that are supposed to be.

But to answer your question, what are you better at drawing, kids or animals?

5. aqsmorningview

Actually never really drew either but I guess id say humans more then animals.Just wanted the illustrations to be interesting as can be.

6. GingerCoffee

Kids like both, but special animal characters can become famous among kids like like Richard Scarry's characters.

;)

7. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Well, I'm not interested in reading about work, so I'm not sure how exciting a story in a pre-school would be for pre-schoolers. I guess if they were animals it would be slightly more interesting, but there must be much better settings out there for kids.

8. GingerCoffee

But kids like to hear stories about places like school and preschool. They usually look forward to going and stories add to the anticipation and positive reception when they do get there.

9. aqsmorningview

if i draw the characters as animals it can be whimsical and fun and not feel so much like work like you mentioned.i guess ill try it both ways and see how it looks