1. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle Active Member

Kinz`s Progress Journal.

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Kinzvlle, Mar 7, 2016.

As a master procrastinator, the idea of having a place to put my goals where I can be guilt tripped seems useful. Writing down clear goals is useful regardless, so long as I stay motivated enough to achieve the goals.

PROJECTS
    My current goal is to actually finish some on my many unfinished stories that sit in google docs longing for closure because their writer is a lazy bum.

Yugslav-Needs a better name, that one`s too close to Yugoslavia, but that's not the point! This is a short story, secondary fantasy setting, with Germanic influences.
    Editing rough draft

Drifters-A set of characters I have designed for a series of, scfi Firefly esque short stories.

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started."-Mark Twain.

Let`s get started, then.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle Active Member

Murrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Rather then writing I`ve been going back over my outlines, and planning about setting up a file or binder for the project. I`ve been working on the outlines and debating how I should start the dang thing. I`ve been roleplaying for a few years now and I tend to make bio sheets for my characters, been thinking about making some of them for my main characters here to get into their heads more maybe. Running through my cast list may help me weed out anyone that doesn`t deserve main stage though I belive that`ll be more noticeable in rewriting, though.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle Active Member

Haven`t really done much, today in terms of both writing and anything else really. I have been working this past week however just not today. Making a note here that I have started the writing process, for Volgars tale (still need a title). After reading a few things here and elsewhere I decided to take the advice to treat my first draft as setting clay on a table rather then creating the sculpture itself. Just let myself, write with the knowdlge it won`t be perfect and isn`t meant to be. I`ll goo back, rewrite and structure more in the 2nd draft.

I`ve also picked up a few more writing projects in the form of a short story I plan to work on, which some of you may have heard about as well as a story for something else.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  4. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle Active Member

CURRENT PROJECTS:

Jonas Shade-undetermined length (don`t expect it to be too long)-Contemporary fantasy

To do list: Title it, get the first draft written up, and research the DEA more.

Romdom-short story-flashbacks one
    To do list: Work on the setting a bit, first draft written up, have people look over it,and title it

Volgars Tale- Sword and Sorcery-Longer project probably a novella or a short novel.
    To do list: Keep up on writing, finish the first half, clean it up, get critiques, title it, and research blacksmithing and such.

Current goal: At least one of the smaller project short story done sometime in April, with headway in Volgars tale by then aswell.

5. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle Active Member

The manuscript is on the back burner. Through Camp Nanowrimo I've been working on a short story Romdom`s tale (working title). I was staring at a blank page with what I wanted to do in my head. So I put it on the page, I wrote it out summary sort to get it onto the page. I`ll use that as a guide as I write. We`ll see how it goes.

6. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle Active Member

*brushes the dust off this place* Time to pull a cave troll, and bring this place back from the dead. Summer's here, which means a little bit of the stress is slipping off in the form of formal education. Over the next few months I hope to start on various projects some of which are writing related. Granted there`s a 50/50 chance I`ll procrastinate till the cows come home and get nothing donee, I hope to make some headway so fingers crossed.

PROJECTS:
    A man amongst Dwarves: (
    title subject to change) A short story same characters and universe as the aforementioned manuscript. A fantasy story with certain overtones of commentary on today's political climent. Plan to sent this into either The Future Writers of America contest or submit it to a few fantasy lit mags I know of such as Heroic Fantasy and beneath the Ceaseless Skies.

BEING SPECIAL: An insider's perspective: Not sure if this is really going anywhere, but I was talking to someone the other day about my experiences in the special education system, the social stigma around it, and how it doesn`t always benefit the kids. It was suggested that I write a book or at least an essay, opoin piece, or whatever you want to call it about it. Not sure if that`ll occur, however.

CO-AUTHORING: I have a friend who`s been writing a zombie-ish book that I've been beta reading Recently it was suggested that I co author some of his book ideas with him. We`ll see how that goes.

KEEPING AN EYE OUT: Along with the short story and possible projects listed above I`ll be keeping an eye out, for freelance, calls for entry, contests, and any possible scholarship because college require the ka-ching and as it stands I'm a poor man and if I were a rich man Yubby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dum. All day long I'd biddy biddy bum....wait this isn`t broadway.

Those are my projects, feel free to heckle and badger me as you see fit.

7. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle Active Member

Try to write everyday or so this week just to get my brain into a habit and routine, so I'll be using this to hold myself to sooo *ahem*

WRITERS LOG STARDATE 11226.20

After
    spending the morning out and about I sat down for some writer time. The front half of this was taken up by scholarship writing (and some cat videos), personal essays and such. One of which involved a rather...perosnel topic, which brought a lot of things back to my mind...so I kinda took a break there. I got back to writing and actually moved into creative writing, around five after dealing with a headache. I worked on some outlining for short stories rather than my bigger project, but I plan to remedy that with a focus on that tomorrow. Didn`t get that much done other than a little bit of outlining but somethings better than nothing. Nothing on the agenda tomorrow so I`ll devote more time then. Now to go gripe about this heat for the rest of the day.

8. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle Active Member

I have stalled in my current projects. Maybe I need a fresh prompt to get the gears spinning again. I was combing through anthology calls the other night. Found some, ones that I could whip something up for. Got a scfi western, a superhero character study, a midevil tale of knights and honor, as well as a nonfiction one about living with tings like autism so we`ll see how these go.

9. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle Active Member

I was actually somewhat productive we`ll see how long that lasts. I have everything outlined, I`m gonna work on the rough drafts for the mental health and superhero story first as there deadlines are the closet, I'm also not doing the knight one as it`s, actually knight themed romance and that`s not my ballpark.

GOAL: Get the rough drafts worked on, get the rough draft of the mental health one done, self edited, and off to a beta. I also need to pick a beta reader.

TO WORK!

10. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle Active Member

I suck-I suck at everything-

I suppose for now I`ll go back to working on some shelved stories and see if I can`t submit them to some genre mags.

11. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle Active Member

This is just full of self-pity self-doubt and the rambles of a mad man.

Had some photography get into some gallery shows lately so let`s see if that confidence and creativity seep into the writing scape. I have a lot of outlines that never manifested anything not to mention a whole file of research for a historical based project that never came. I`ll tap into that one at a time and see what occurs. Need to just do it and stop wallowing in my own doubt.

12. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle Active Member

Got some words on a page! I`ve been working on a heroic fantasy short story, which has been outlined and writing has begun. I`m excited for this one, it`s set in a secondary world inhabited by a nomadic tribe and many creatures that would devour them. Drawing a lot of influence from the Germanic tribes. Even writing some parts of the MC`s internal dialogue as close to Germanic poetry meter as I can, using Germanic kennings in the very least. May not come out as the most unique tale but I'm enjoying it`s creation.

13. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle Active Member

Updated the front page with a project list. Meh

14. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle Active Member

Words on page! Like setting clay on a table, I got words on page even if they aren`t pretty. Now I`ll go through and trim them, fixing the words that are there. Then i`ll go back and take words out, add new ones etc. Then fill up the gaps, make the story more coherent, then clean it up again.

15. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle Active Member

So I was lurking around the forum the other day and stumbled into @Lea`Brooks progress journal with started with the often repeated line about writers and fantasizers. I found myself seeing similarities to Lea in what she wrote there. I have become a fantasizer. Like her, I have always wanted to be a writer, even won a few contests for it but my ratio for finishing stories is......low to say the least.

I`ve always keep that in my mind, how I need to focus if I really want to call myself a writer. How all my ideas are nothing, if I don`t have the drive to complete them. Plus being still young there`s always the thought I should learn how to to be productive now before it bites in the ass later on. Of course thinking of that results in nothing if you're just gonna mope about it, which as an angsty teenager is what I did. >> <<

In my head, I have decided to try and be more productive on this and other fronts, and seeing Lea being productive like she is, gives me hope that I can shake off the fantasizer thing. Still working on the short story, with bits of Old Engish poetry metre worked in there. Don`t know how this one will really turn out or if I will ever show it the light of day, but my goal here is more about completing it, and getting back into actually finishing stories.

16. OJB

OJB Member

Hello Kinz,

I wanted to wish you the best of luck of turning your dreams into reality. It is true, writing words is hard, but what makes it worth it are the few moments when people we don't know praise our work. I have more of a 'one at a time' mentality. I pick one project or story idea, and I work on it until it is finished (be it good or bad.)

Don't be afraid to show your work and gain feedback on it. What we do takes courage and discipline, and most importantly, humility. A lot of my work gets shredded by reviews, but I produce stronger work because of it. I am sure if you work every day on this (be it through writing, studying, or reading) you will accomplish what you want.

Good luck.

-Ory James Berner.

Kinzvlle likes this.
  17. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle Active Member

@OJB Thank you for the lovely words of econgerment.

My current story....I don`t think it`s really working. I`ll go back to it but for now I think i`ll shelve it for a bit to work on something else. What that something else is.....hmmm. Drifters is there but ...we`ll see.

18. OJB

OJB Member

@Kinzvlle Let us not give up that easy buddy. Post your Logline (premise) of your story, I'll give some honest feedback and let you know where I see some weaknesses.

19. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle Active Member

Not giving up, just setting it aside for now, got a little stuck in making it all stick together and i've been staring at it for a while and decided to set it down for a bit, work on something else for a short while then go back to it. Clear my mind, go back to slightly more fresh then just staring at it in frustration. Chances are i`ll look into one of the contests here, work on that and then go back to. Gives me a break, and is still constructive as it allows to practice and be open to feedback.

I know looking through the journal i`ve gave up on/jumped around on various projects and i`m trying to ditch that habit and get into more of a writing routine, but I also know that staring at a problem doesn`t always work. I`ll keep you`r offer for feedback in my back pocket though, and if I need it i`ll ask for it, and I do appreciate the offer.