1. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi

Primitive living

Discussion in 'Research' started by Domoviye, Mar 24, 2007.

Heres an interesting site explaining a number of techniques for making tools, rope, weapons, etc, and living without modern technology.
    http://www.primitiveways.com/

Its a good basic source for writers who want to go into a little detail about pre-industrial, and stone age tool making and survival.
    It also has some stuff about making primitive tools out of modern objects, if you want to create a post-collapse society.

2. HeinleinFan

HeinleinFan Banned

Thanks.
    Some books you guys could use, if you need it, are Back to Basics: How to Learn and Enjoy Traditional American Skills published by Reader's Digest and Practical Skills by Gene Logsdon. They're probably out of print, but eBay might have them.

3. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Those books sound good. When I have the time and space I'll have to track them down.

A good book I'm reading now from 1967 is "A Sporting Chance" by Daniel Mannix, published by E.P Dutton & Co.. You'll definitely need to find it on E-Bay or a used bookstore.
    It has 15 chapters on hunting with things ranging from frogs to bows. And a final chapter on the history of hunting man (setting traps for poachers and tracking people with dogs)
    Really interesting stuff. Mostly anecdotal, with some history mixed in. So it will help add realism to possible hunting or tracking stories you might want to write, without getting you bogged down by too much detail.