1. CaliWriterWV

CaliWriterWV New Member

Descriptive Detail Questions

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by CaliWriterWV, May 8, 2010.

So, I'm one of those writers that have so much Descriptive detail that my reader is too..what's the word...distracted from the rest of my writing.

I try and take out the details that don't matter but then I feel like I rushed the reader to a certain point of the story.

For example, when I write, I describe everything from point A to point B...the small stuff that doesn't even matter most of the time.

The biggest problem is that I don't usually notice I'm doing it!

So what's an easier way for me to see that I'm writing too much Descriptive detail? And how can I tell enough is enough?

Thanks for your help

2. krystalpendragon

krystalpendragon New Member

Can I borrow some of your descriptiveness? No... really. :-D
    From what I understand, you only need to describe things that the POV character would notice, or things that are important to the story.
    If you're describing someones room, what's the point to say that it's blue shag carpet and flowered wallpaper, 2 end tables, a king size bed, and a worn out bookcase... why would we need to know that?
    Maybe you mention the unicorn wallpaper to show that the person who lives in room is young or young at heart, or believes in fantasies. Maybe you point out a bookcase because reading is important to the character.
    If POV likes nature and is outside, they'll be noticing the butterflies and clouds.
    o_O hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  3. CaliWriterWV

CaliWriterWV New Member

Actually, that helped a lot.

*gives you some descriptiveness* (=

I do try and limit it to a characters POV, but I'm a writer that likes to jump back and forth from at least two characters' inner thoughts. Like how they're feeling, so descriptive detail kinda gets lost in the two.

I'm trying to figure out how to keep the reader knowing the inner thoughts of both characters but not feel overwhelmed by descriptive detail. Any advise?

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

In addition to not describing what a character can't see, avoid describing what the character wouldn't notice at that moment. That includes things he or she doesn't have time to notice because too much is happening, and things that are so familiar as to be beneath notice.

1 person likes this.
  5. CaliWriterWV

CaliWriterWV New Member

Ahh, that's really good advise too! That's actually really helpful. Thank you.

You really do know a lot about writing. :)