1. art

art Contributor Contributor

Knowing stuff by heart

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by art, Nov 25, 2010.

Always a great boon to be able to recall great poetry or verse while your stuck in a traffic jam or sat in a waitng room. What stuff do you know by heart? What would you like to know? My stock is very paltry I'm sorry to say:

Dulce et Decorum est...Owen
    Loveliest of trees...A.E.Housman
    Henry V Agincourt speech..Shakespeare

One of my chief aims in life is, like Dot Cotton, to have a biblical quote for every occasion. A winning social talent!

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I went to speech and drama so have loads of stuff from biblical, shakespeare, poetry, then there are the books I have read loads, scripts from plays, songs I enjoy. My favourite right now is Arms of an Angel by Sarah Mclachlan - the line There's always some reason to feel not good enough And it's hard at the end of the day is having huge resonance in my life.

I recall all sorts and find it useful to help me get through the day. Remembering where I got the quote, poem etc and who wrote it is my problem

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I know several poems by Robinson Jeffers by heart, and also some WB Yeats. For some reason I still remember some Shakespeare I had to memorize back when I was in high school ninety-nine years ago. Oh, also a couple of William Blake's poems (including "The Little Vagabond", which should be better known).

4. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I used to have the 3 Witches part of Macbeth memorized...but I don't think I could remember the whole thing now.