1. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

Koko's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by KokoN, Mar 25, 2016.

So I joined this forum to help motivate me to write and to learn more about writing. Unfortunately I haven't been doing so well with the writing part of it! I think this Progress Journal forum is a cool idea and maybe will help motivate me to write more daily. :)

I have several different stories in progress, but my current main goal is to simply write, so I will be discussing all of them in the same thread. I actually have a folder on my computer labeled "Works in Progress" where I have 6 stories in different stages. Yes, I know that's a lot. Some of them are old stories that are just in there in case I have a brilliant idea to revitalize them. I like having them all in one place, something I decided to do recently.

Until recently it had been a LONG time since I had written anything. I'm really trying to motivate myself to stick with this, but it might be difficult because it's been a while. In the past I've tried to write one thing at a time which didn't work out very well, so I'm giving myself permission to work on many different things to see how that goes. Not to say that I'm actually working on all these stories at once, but I'm allowing myself to if I want to, rather than being so strict with fixating on just one, if that makes sense.

I'll give a brief synopses of the different stories and the current progress here and update it as I go. I'm giving them nicknames instead of their actual titles for privacy's sake. The top two are the ones I've been working on the most.

1. "Water"
    About: Middle-aged man is diagnosed with a fatal disease, steals from his brother and brother's wife and runs off to Hollywood to "live it up." Ends up with more than he bargained for, running into an underground criminal operation and complicates a lot of people's lives.
    Progress: Have a rough plot and a list of characters. Started writing anyways. I think I'll kind of alternate plotting and writing as I feel like it.
    Word count: 13117 words

2. "Author"
    About: This story is very strange and unlike anything I've ever written. It's sort of a collection of short stories that have a theme and tie together in the end. Not sure how to describe it without giving away the ending.
    Progress: I've done zero plotting on this and am just writing and coming up with ideas as I go, which is kind of a fun change of pace. I've finished two short story/chapters and am in the middle of the third short story/chapter.
    Word count: 6,357 words

3. "Fake Romance Novel"
    About: Basically this is kind of a romance/comedy novel, except my expectation is that the characters won't end up together in the end. It is heavily character-based but I'm having some issues with the plot, for obvious reasons. Maybe this is something that can't be done, but I'm giving it a shot!
    Progress: I have three character sketches and some ideas for the plot written down. I also plan on having a fourth character but I think he will be introduced later in the story. I started writing the first scene but I don't like the tone so I plan on completely rewriting it.
    Word count: 786 (sort of)

4. "Loyalty"
    About: A long time ago, human-like aliens invaded earth, but now they are accepted into society, mostly. The main character believes she is just an ordinary teenager (of the alien variety) until one day she is kidnapped, and realizes the world, herself, and her family, is completely not what she thought.
    Progress: I've loosely plotted the whole story, completed character sketches for 4 characters, and began writing chapter 1.
    Word count: 739

5. YA Fantasy Novel
    About: Six teenagers start out in the church basement and are randomly transported to a strange land, where one of them is kidnapped and they soon find out they all possess strange powers. They have to figure out how to get along with each other, find the kidnapped teen, and hope that they eventually will be returned to their world. Is it all just random or is there some reason behind their adventures?
    I started writing this one a LONG time ago, and it's the farthest I've ever progressed with any novel I've written, which is why I haven't completely thrown it out yet.
    Progress: I've plotted the entire novel, so if I ever want to keep writing it it wouldn't be hard for me to pick up where I left off. I've written 12/28 scenes as well.
    Word count: 21,562

6. "Rose"
    About: A young woman goes to visit family she has never met before, only to discover some bizarre secrets and the fact that everyone lies.
    This book I thought up a really, really long time ago, and played around with in my head for a long time. More recently, but still quite a while ago, I actually started working on writing it. I don't see myself reviving this anytime soon but I'm still keeping it on the back burner just in case.
    Progress: I have a sketch of the entire plot of the book and the significant subplot, detailed character analysis of 7 major characters, and barely started writing chapter 1 before quitting.
    Word count: 1,105

I'm getting discouraged even just thinking/writing about my stories. I have a serious problem where I think everything I write is complete crap, which I know you're not supposed to think until after the first draft is done, lol (when the editing begins). Well my goal for now is to write every day, and then eventually to finish a first draft! I want to have something I can actually edit!

So now I will go off and write something! I haven't decided if it's better to set a daily word goal or a daily time goal so I will have to figure that out.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Contributor

I love the sound of Author (because I love short stories) and Romance (because I'm a romance author). I'm sure the others are great too, but as there aren't many details I can't tell.

Let us know if we can do anything to help your motivation. Like, if you decide on a goal, we can nag or cheerlead you to make sure you do it :D

3. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

Thank you for the encouragement! :D I've decided to set a word goal for this week, to try to write 2,000 words by the end of the week and see how easy/difficult that turns out to be, now that I'm back in school. And I'll try to write something every day even if it's only a 50 words poem or something. I think that's a pretty easy goal to start out with.

I probably will update my descriptions of my stories so they are more, well, descriptive. But before I do that I'm going to do some actual writing. ;) No more procrastinating! (Hopefully)

Oscar Leigh and Tenderiser like this.
  4. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

Wrote a few paragraphs (348 words) onto "Author." It wasn't a lot but I really didn't feel like writing and did it anyway, which is a small victory for me. Hopefully I can continue my goal to write every single day this week! Perhaps I'll even exceed my very low word count goal of 2,000 words for the week. :p

Also, I updated my "About" sections for my stories to better reflect what they are about. Especially since the "Romance Novel" one isn't really a romance novel so I changed the title for that one!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Oscar Leigh and Tenderiser like this.
  5. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

Day 2: Wrote 399 words on a different, stand alone piece.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  6. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Contributor

N..no... no happily ever after? :bigeek:

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  7. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

Haha I haven't decided yet!! I've always wanted to write something satirical where you think they are going to end up together but don't, but if that happened it would still be a happy ending, just without them ending up together. Because life is like that sometimes. However it's not set in stone yet.

Tenderiser likes this.
  8. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

Day 3: Yesterday was a LONG day and I almost completely forgot to write. I wrote a short poem at the end of the day. (16 words)
    Day 4: Today some unexpected family issues came up and again I didn't have as much time as usual to write, so I wrote another poem. Tomorrow I'd better write more or I won't meet my goal. (20 words)

So those days were pretty much a wash, but at least I forced myself to write something. (Also, 20 words of a poem takes longer to write than 20 words in a story)

Running total: 793 words this week. Not even halfway there :( I will have more time on the weekend though

9. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

So clearly last week was a complete bomb, didn't write every day and didn't even reach 1,000 words. Which is okay, because I will probably do better this week.

Didn't write yesterday, but today I wrote 940 words on a story I just started. I started this story just for fun to practice plotting a story. The protagonist is completely the opposite of me and kind of not a likeable person (possibly an anti-hero? something I never thought I would write, honestly), and the story is kind of out there, so I'm hoping this will break me out of my bubble a bit and get me away from being too fearful in my writing. So far, it's not bad! I mean it might be terrible writing but I wrote it anyway. :D So we'll see how long I work on this for!

10. Bryman

Bryman Member

It's a curse of any artist to forever think their creations are god awful. That can be good or bad in different ways, but I prefer to see the good in it. That being that it always puts you in a mindset to want to make it or the next thing better!

I like the sound of Author. I love it when someone writes a bunch of short stories that end up tying together in some way.

So stay motivated! (Advice I probably shouldn't be spouting since I rarely follow it myself >_>) As long as you reach your goal, even if you hate the writing, you come out on top.

KokoN likes this.
  11. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

Thank you! :D That's what I'm trying to do right now, reach my goal without worrying if it's "good" or "bad."

I finished a short story today! I'm not sure exactly how much I wrote but I'm guessing about 300 words. (I didn't check how much I had previously written.)

Bryman likes this.
  12. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

Really struggling to write, what with depression and a ton of life crap going on. It's hard to get to a place where I feel like I can be creative. Hopefully I find a way around it. :/

13. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

Last night I wrote 876 words in "water." I also wrote a rough outline. I've never written and plotted a novel at the same time so it's interesting.

I also forgot that on Monday night, after I posted that I only wrote 300 words, I had some burst of creativity or something and wrote 773 in "Water" and 313 in "Author" for a total of 1086 words! So although I failed my goal last week, this week I wrote more than half of it in one day. :p Maybe there's hope for me as a writer...

I plan on writing more later today after class.

14. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

Today I actually wrote twice, for a total of 1,845 words in the story "Water." I was surprised how long that took me. The second session I wrote about 1,400 words and it took over an hour. I'm proud of myself for accomplishing so much today, especially since I had a lot of unexpected stuff come up. Yay!

Tomorrow is the last day of the week, and obviously I have exceeded my 2,000 words a week goal this time, but I'll post the final count tomorrow. I probably will still keep the same goal for next week in spite of this, just because last week it was so hard for me to meet my goal. If I can keep this up I probably will up my goal so it's not ridiculous.

After updating my OP I just realized that I nearly doubled the word count for "Water" today than what I had before. :)

Lilith Addington and Oscar Leigh like this.
  15. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributing Member

You go girl!

KokoN likes this.
  16. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

Wrote 833 words in "Water," or another scene. This brings my weekly total to 5,860 words! Woohoo! To be fair I wrote most of it in one day, on Monday. I must have been feeling extremely creative that day, lol. I didn't meet my goal of writing every day, as I only wrote on Monday, Friday, and Saturday. Oh well! Next week I'll still with my goal of 2,000 words (for now) and try to write every day this time.

Bryman and Oscar Leigh like this.
  17. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

Week 3, Day 1: Wrote 766 words in "Water," aka another scene. Writing one scene at a time seems to be working for me. Also, a few days ago I wrote a very, very rough outline of my novel. I wrote major points in the story, and then divided each of those into five sub points in the story. I'm still in the first major section. Interestingly, I've been expanding the outline as I go along. For example, I had "Back home, sister-in-law is freaking out about her stolen box." I originally intended that to be one scene, but then after I wrote that scene, I realized I needed a follow-up scene about that, so I plugged it into the outline to write another time. I did a similar thing with another subplot. I keep adding scenes and then crossing them off when they are written. This is a method I've never used before, but I kind of like it!

Also, "Water" officially has the second largest word count of all my stories that I've been working on! :D To be fair, all the others are pretty low, but it shows I'm finally making progress on one. :)

18. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

Week 3, Day 2: Wrote 734 words in "Water;" another scene and a half. I can't finish the rest of the second scene until I flesh out one of the characters more. Which could be interesting, because this character is the main villain. So the meeting between the protagonist and the antagonist had better be good. :) Even though the MC doesn't know he's a villain yet...it needs to be memorable. And I want something interesting about this villain that makes the reader want to know more and keeps the story rolling. But first I need to discover stuff about the character, which shall be my mission for the next couple of days. Figure out who this guy is.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  19. Oscar Leigh

I could give you villain advice if you want. Villains are often, but not always, my favourite characters. And I think they're more often mistreated so I care about the issue.

KokoN likes this.
  20. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

@Oscar Leigh Advise away, please! :D I came up with some ideas last night but I can always use more!!

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  21. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

Week 3, day 3: Wrote 656 words in Water again. (By the way, the actual title isn't "Water" that's just a word from the title I'm using.) I'm hoping my scene between my MC and antagonist wasn't too dull. I also need some other reason for them to build some kind of friendship but I'm starting to wonder if that's possible. Oh well, more brainstorming!

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  22. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

Last week I didn't make any further progress after day 3. Today I wrote 582 words, one scene. I'm almost done with part 1 of 5 in my novel "Water!" :) I have 2 or 3 more scenes I want before I move on to part 2.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  23. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

Today I wrote 1,042 words in "Author." This story is pretty ridiculous and I doubt anyone would ever want to read it, it's just becoming my way of forcing myself to write when I don't want to.

Last week my word count total was 2,156. I think my goal of 2,000 per week is turning out to be pretty good for me. That way I have a goal but I feel it is attainable even when life gets in the way, as it often does.

24. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

I totally know what you mean here - I feel like no one will ever want to read my book. I think that's kind of a writer thing. I just saw something recently though (it might have been on this site, I can't remember) that made me feel a bit better: someone said that you see your writing all the time, so you find it unpolished and uninteresting, knowing the plot inside and out and knowing all the little things you want to change. But give it to someone who's never seen a word of it before, and they'll think it's amazing. What are awkward scenes to you become quirks to them. The plot that you've trodden a million times in your rewrites is fresh and new and exciting to them.
    Don't be afraid to write ridiculous things; often, they are the most entertaining. Revel in the ridiculosity of it. :p

And good job for reaching your goal last week! :D

KokoN and Oscar Leigh like this.
  25. Oscar Leigh

Also, if you in any way enjoy it, even just the concept, the there's bound to be people like you who will be at least interested.

KokoN likes this.