1. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

KtD Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Lilith Addington, Apr 8, 2016.

Last November (2015), I participated in NaNoWriMo for the first time. I set my sights pretty low at first, aiming to write 20,000 words in a month on my vampire fantasy story Kill the Dead. I actually made it to about 25,000, but my story was still far from finished. By the end of the year, I was up to about 45,000 words and the ending still wasn't in sight. I left KtD alone for a while, but I have picked it up again and am feverishly trying to write to the ending. Currently, I am at 48,597 words and the action is ramping up. I owe it to this story, to its characters, to myself, and to my family and friends to finally finish it.
    Short term goals:
    Reach 50,000 words by 4/10
    Reach 55,000 words by 4/20
    Reach 60,000 words by 4/30
    I'd like to write 5,000 words per week, but I have a slew of concerts coming up and I won't have my usual writing time. I don't know how long this story will be, but word counts are great motivators for me so these are my next goals.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

Well, I'm up to 49,354 words, which means I wrote 757 words today. Not bad - hopefully I'll write even more tomorrow. In fact, I think I'll make it a goal to write at least 1,500 words tomorrow. My record number of words in a day is something around 2,100, so that shouldn't be a problem, just a nice little challenge.

I'm starting to look forward to editing. The idea of it used to terrify me, but now I'm somewhat excited at the opportunity to polish a story. I think it will be fun to go through a full manuscript, playing with words and making it the best novel it can be. As I'm writing, I watch so many sub-par sentences go past, and see so many little loose ends. It will be so nice to go back through and make my writing worth reading.

I just have to finish the darn thing first.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

Yay! Today I wrote 1,509 words, bringing my total word count to 50,863 words. I'm feeling pretty good about my progress - the story's moving forward, and soon, all hell is going to break loose. Or at least, all the darkness on earth is.

Tomorrow is pretty darn busy, but I'm still going to try to get 600+ words done in the morning. It won't be hard, I've just got to make the time for it.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll Bite the bullet, do your own thing. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    That's awesome. I wish I could write that much every day. Kind of a slacker.

Anywho, that is amazing that you are making progress. Happy for you. :supersmile:

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  5. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

Up to 51,509 words total - I wrote a little bit over 600 words, which was my goal for today.
    Tomorrow's goal: another 600+ words.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  6. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

Well, today went well. My goal was 600 words and I wrote 795 - I was in the middle of some dialog, and I wanted to let the characters finish their conversation. That brings my grand total up to 52,304 words. :)
    My tentative goal for tomorrow is 400+ words, but I'm not sure I'll even get to that, since I have a math meet, biology class, violin practice, math homework, and a symphony rehearsal. It's a good thing I wrote extra today, at least!

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  7. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

Shame on me! I didn't write anything on my story today. :(
    However, I did figure out what's going to happen next, so I know where to start tomorrow. I am soooooo close to the pivotal final battle, and I'm a little scared to write it. I've got to keep reminding myself that I can edit the heck out of it later: for now, I just need to keep writing.

Also, I did some fun brainstorming and general thought-collecting on a couple of other ideas. My memo pad is covered in nearly unintelligible scribbles that I'm looking forward to decoding. :p

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  8. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

Up to a total of 53,109 - today's goal was 800 words, and I wrote 801.
    Any day now, it's going to be the final battle.
    Man, am I getting nervous. My MC still needs to go through a crucial transformation in order to defeat the villain - it has been my plan all along to wait till the final battle to have her make that transformation, but it's a little nerve-wracking, even as the writer. I can only hope that it will translate into page-turning, nail-biting excitement for the reader (once I edit the stupid stuff out of it, of course).

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  9. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributing Member

I often take random notes. You're not alone on that. I've also been known to remember things oddly, and odd details of them.

10. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

Oops! I forgot to update this yesterday.
    I think I wrote 545 words yesterday, but it was slow going. Still, I finished chapter fifteen and I'm right at the climax, so it's going well overall.

I also had the random breakthrough that two of my other story ideas worked perfectly with each other, so I combined them.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  11. Oscar Leigh

Oooh, I've done that before.

12. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

I thought I was going to get more writing done tonight.

But....I ended up watching anime with a friend.....oops.......

I think I got like 380 words or something, which is better than nothing, and I've got lots of free time tomorrow to work on it. I feel a bit bad for not reaching my WCG for the day (~700 words) but it's rare I ever take any time in my life for social interactions, so I don't feel that guilty.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  13. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

Only wrote 593 words today, which is a far cry short of the 1,500 words I aim for on Saturdays. However, I enjoyed writing what I did write, which is more than I can say for the last couple of days - self esteem issues have been making writing less enjoyable, but I'm really looking forward to writing more tomorrow because I'm in the middle of the climax. It's exhilarating to write, honestly, and it's so so so nice to be truly enjoying writing again. :D

Speaking of self esteem issues, though, I was having some trouble with self esteem for my violin playing earlier. That's why I ran out of time to write my full amount today. I was super fired up and motivated about violin this morning, had a two and a half hour rehearsal, had a low self esteem fueled breakdown, then practiced for three hours straight. I know that doesn't really have anything to do with my word count or my story or anything, but I had to write it down here just to get it out.

On a more positive note, I've been doing some research into self publishing, and have decided to self publish my book for family, friends, and facebook acquaintances once I've edited it to my satisfaction. I've already secured three amazing beta readers, too: one is an English teacher, one is a librarian and a writer, and the third is my friend who writes as a hobby and is of the age group my book is meant for.

Anyway, I'd better hurry up and post this before I ramble on too much further. Four hours of sleep is not enough for my teenage brain, and consequently, I am somewhat incoherent. :p

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  14. Oscar Leigh

You know, I just realized your 14. Woah. I see promise in your future.

Lilith Addington likes this.
  15. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

Again, I didn’t write quite as much as I had planned. Today I told myself, “you’ve been slacking off on your word count recently and your deadline is coming up. You should write 1,500 words, or better, 2,000.” I made it to 1,006 words, which is still pretty good (for me). I’m currently writing the climax, and I can already see how much editing I’ll have to do to make it more exciting. No matter - I’ll get there when I get there. Right now I just need to finish this first draft, and I’m so so close. My total is 55,576 words as of today. I’m estimating another 8,000-10,000 words to get to the end of the story, but then again, I also started out thinking I could get it all down in 20,000 words. :p

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  16. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

Today was a good day. :) My writing felt a bit slow as I was going, but I still maintained my average typing speed. My goal was 1,000 words today - a bit much for most Mondays, but I got my other stuff done early today. I ended up writing 1,219 words, putting my grand total at (drumroll please) 56,795 words. I never thought I'd get this far. But here I am, having just finished Chapter 16 (the climax), and there's probably only two or three more chapters left in the entire rough draft before it's done. I am feeling so very pleased with this story: in my writing and re-reading today, I came across a couple of lines I was genuinely proud of, and that's a rare occurrence for me. I know I'll still have a butt-load of editing to do, but right now I'm just amazed that I've gotten this far. :write:

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  17. Oscar Leigh

Your new nickname shall be "blazing pen". :p

18. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

Wow, kudos to you for sticking to your word count goals so well! I like your idea of giving yourself a date/word count goal. Keep it up! :)

Lilith Addington and Oscar Leigh like this.
  19. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

I was going to try to write 850 words today, but I'm still pleased with the 537 I made it to. I might try to write more after rehearsal tonight, but at least I'm fine with where I'm at if I don't. I've just delved into the antagonist's memories, which is an interesting change of pace to write. It's like I've suddenly switched stories. At any rate, my total word count is now 57,334 words, and I'm finally starting to like what I'm writing. :)

KokoN and Oscar Leigh like this.
  20. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

Today was another good day - wrote 1,023 words for a grand total of 58,358 words so far in this rough draft. :D I've really been enjoying writing this chapter, because my protagonist is seeing some of the antagonist's memories. It feels like starting a new story, but I'm still making progress on the same story I've been working on for months. My only concern is that my antagonist's backstory is sounding too much like Harry Potter. :p
    Since I've gotten to the last 8,000 - 10,000 words in my story, I've started keeping a couple of jars of marbles: words left and words written. I would have to use some gigantic jars to track all of my writing progress, so the jars just represent this last word count shove, and each marble represents 100 words. It's satisfying to see "words written" filling up.
    Also, I've started thinking about my next novel most-likelies (I love getting the cart before the horse when it comes to projects). I've got it "narrowed-down" to the top seven, and every day, I'm making a note of which one I'd most like to write. That way, I'll get a good idea of which one of them interests me the most over the long term.

Oscar Leigh and KokoN like this.
  21. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

Today was a big day.
    I wrote 1,673 words.
    Grand total: 60,032 words.
    I cannot believe I have passed the 60k mark.
    My story has come so much farther than I ever thought it could.
    I'm closing in on The End.
    I'm getting so close.
    More writing to come :D

Oscar Leigh, KokoN and ToDandy like this.
  22. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

That's so great! :) Is this your first novel or have you written others in the past? Either way, it must feel pretty good to be so close to finishing it!

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  23. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

It's my first novel, so it's super exciting :) I mean, I've started others in the past, but this is the first one that's gotten past 7,000 words and isn't entirely rubbish :p

ToDandy, KokoN and Oscar Leigh like this.
  24. Oscar Leigh

:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

25. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

*bows* Thank you, thank you :superagree:

Oscar Leigh likes this.