1. terrwyn

terrwyn New Member

Race Reproduction?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by terrwyn, Feb 3, 2012.

One of the races in my book, called the Specters, are a plantlike race. The veins in their faces are distinguished and look like vines and their skin is a very pale green. The gods created a special tree where the Specters stemmed out from through the trunk, but that was thousands of years ago. How could I tie in the tree to reproducing and having a baby? I thought maybe a male and female could go to one of those trees and touch the trunk. Vines could form from their hands and tie into the tree. The "ritual" could be somewhat like praying to the god of earth and the goddess of fertility. If their "wish" or prayer" is granted or answered, the baby will form inside the tree and will stem out of the tree and cut it's way out when it will be born. What do you think of this?

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

If you can make it work, and there's sound logic behind it, go with it. Any story can be believable as long as the characters are believable and the story is well-written.

If it were me writing it, I'd do something involving seed germination. But yours sounds fine.

3. Anonym

Anonym New Member

Not bad, sounds plenty plausible.
    That, and using the tree's sap for fertilization or somethin' comes to mind, but then again, that might result in a style of reproduction not unlike cloning, perhaps making racial purity a big deal in their society, depending on how you play it out. I like your idea though, definitely fits into the fantasy ethos, if that's what you're going for.

4. Kitty08

Kitty08 New Member

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe have the baby be born from a pod that the tree produces, kind of like cocoa tree pods?

5. RickySchaedeWrites

RickySchaedeWrites New Member

I think it would be really neat if the species grew as a fruit on the tree, and hatched when ripe. Then they get to eat all of the yummy fruit, like a mother's milk.

6. Kallithrix

Kallithrix Banned

That just made me wonder about predators, seeing as fruit is produced by a tree or plant in order to encourage animals to eat it, thereby spreading the plant's seeds through the animals' faeces (which also helps to provide nutrients for the seed to grow).

So, does this race have any natural predators that might want to eat said baby pod?