1. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

Scrivener research template

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Aaron DC, Nov 10, 2015.

When I am in the research folder in a scrivener project, I can right-click to add new...

No template folder set.png

Text
    Folder
    New from template >>

I have created a text item and a folder item. I want to create some templates and create from those templates instead of doing text and then updating the icon manually.

Alas it says no templates folder is set.

I have spent 10 minutes looking for a way to set the templates folder to no avail.

I have 2 questions:
    1. Will this allow me to create a research item template with preconfigured icon and what not?
    2. Where the heck do I go to set the template folder?

This should be REALLY easy to do. I feel really frustrated and dumb for not being able to do it.

Thanks!

2. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

All my googling for "scrivener templates" turns up "Project templates".

3. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

I was wondering the same thing. Since I have started using Scrivener I have stayed on the shallow end of it but I would like to explore the software more and see what it can really do.

4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I don't know if this is any help, but to create a template in Pages (which looks similar in some ways), you simply open a new document, set all your bits and bobs the way you want them to remain in your template, then name and save it as a template.

Later on, to access it, you'd go into the File menu and choose "New from Template Chooser" - or whatever Scrivener calls it. If you click that (if it exists) you should be presented with either a list or a bunch of icons, once of which should be your saved template. Just click on that and you should be able to start to write in it.

I don't know if you're using a Mac or not, or if it's possible with Scrivener, but I drag my templates down to the dock, so they are instantly accessible when I need a new one.

It's Wreybies who is likely to be the most help to you here, but you could try exploring.

Wreybies likes this.
  5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

(Important to note that all of the Fiction Project Templates that come standard with Scrivener already have this done for you. If you are using one of those, skip to #3. The Blank Project Template and a few others don't. If using one of those, read on...)

Starting at the most basic Scrivener Blank Project Template....

Screen Shot 2015-11-22 at 10.18.33 AM.png

1) To create the Templates Folder, a folder must first exist to be transmogrified. (How often does one get to use that word in daily discourse?) ;) Right click on Research, then Add> New Folder.

Screen Shot 2015-11-22 at 10.19.13 AM.png

2) You'll see I've named mine Templates Folder, imaginatively enough. Once the folder is there, click on it or stay clicked on it and go to Projects> Set Selection as Templates Folder.

Screen Shot 2015-11-22 at 10.21.19 AM.png

3) You will see that the icon for the folder has changed and it's now the T for Templates.

Screen Shot 2015-11-22 at 10.21.38 AM.png

3) Add a template into the folder either by simply creating a New Document within the folder (the big green + button up top) and making an original template from it, or by pulling an existing template from another project or from one found online. If the Templates Folder is empty, it will give you the same message that nothing is set. Here you will see that I have populated the folder with a very basic character sketch template.

Screen Shot 2015-11-22 at 10.34.27 AM.png

4) Once there is something within the folder from which to choose, you can then make use of the Add> New From Template. :agreed:

Screen Shot 2015-11-22 at 10.39.39 AM.png