1. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Latin translation.

Discussion in 'Research' started by CDRW, Jun 9, 2009.

I'm just finishing up a first draft of a short story, and i'm finding myself in need of having the sentences "I must go take a bath," or "I must bathe," or something close to it translated into proper Latin. The problem is, the online translators aren't giving me what I need and I don't know anyone who speaks Latin. Does anybody else know it, or where I can go?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Sorry, my Latin is a little too rusty for that. Check the area high schools for a Latin teacher. Or perhaps a college with a pre-med program.

3. mattattack007

mattattack007 New Member

I would say use a online translator, but sometimes they a unreliable. Ask a teacher or use a latin dictionary.

4. 67Kangaroos

67Kangaroos New Member

every single college roommate i ever had could have answered that question (all had latin in high school and most had taken it up further in college -- but i went to public school in tennessee and alabama... so, obviously know nothing to help).

and online translators are practically a guarantee to get it wrong and/or hilariously so. (just look at all the engrish there is!)

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

go to any jesuit school website and ask someone...

here's just one: http://www.jstb.edu/

6. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Thank you. I haven't found anyone who can do it for me yet, but you've given me a few ideas and new places to check. Mamamaia, you know, I never would have thought to ask at a church school, now I feel stupid. :redface:

7. Zieki

Zieki New Member

I'm pretty sure "lavandum sum" is the way a native Latin speaker would have said it - using the gerundive of 'lavare' (to wash, bathe). They used the gerundive for saying things like "I must" and that sort of thing.