1. punk

punk Active Member

I'm trying to think....

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by punk, Mar 19, 2011.

What was that one children's book that had some sort of "land of melancholy"? I read it a long time ago, but I totally forgot the title...

All I remember is there's this kid who goes on an adventure, and on his travels he encounters a dodecahedron guy, a big bridge troll, and a land of melancholy. I kind of want to read it again, too.

Any clues?

EDIT: Actually, it might have been a decagon... something trippy. The whole book is just crazy awesome.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Apart from the animated polyhedron, it sounds a lot like Neverending Story (which I haven't actually read, so it could contain that element).

3. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

The Phantom Tollbooth? He went to the Doldrums, and I think I remember some weird polyhedron-type character.

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

The Phantom Tollbooth or The Children's Book by AS Byatt could answer that description but The Children's Book is only a few years old so think Forkfoot's suggestion is most likely it had a dodecahedran guy (sp??)

5. punk

punk Active Member

YES!!! it was the phantom tollbooth. Thank you!

I'm using the doldrums land in a song. I also want to read the book again... it was super cool haha.