1. LOLscream

LOLscream New Member

Laziness

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by LOLscream, Jun 20, 2011.

I tend to be rather lazy when it comes to writing and I've recently learned this about myself.
    When I think of something new I'd like to write about I usually have so many thoughts I can't even get it down on paper, even less put the feelings into words. It's too overwhelming.
    So, I become frustrated for not finding the right words to describe what I need to get down and for not making it happen fast enough.
    Sometimes I think my vocabulary simply doesn't hold enough words to really put the right feelings into it, or I'm too lazy to really look for them.

How would you cope with this?

2. LaGs

LaGs Banned

Practice makes perfect. Any writer who looks at themselves as the finished article is an idiot, as you need to realise you're learning all the time. I wouldn't worry if a first draft isn't up to scratch. The next time you go to write something you'll cut out the things that dragged your previous story down. But if you're lazy then i'd be having serious doubts as you really need to graft at it it, if you're serious about writing something decent.

3. Suadade

Suadade New Member

As far as vocabulary goes, read books. If you want to write in Swedish, read Swedish books, and if you want to write in English, English books, and so forth. Try to read books which are actually slightly above your level in word usage - that way you'll definitely learn some new words.

4. Anonym

Anonym New Member

If a character/plot/etc excites you enough, the enthusiasm & creative momentum wells up organically, in my experience. Wait till you come across a truly compelling concept, or perhaps invest in one of your more bare-bones concepts until it takes on a life of its own I guess. That, & read. Exercising your literary mind is probably one of, if not the best way to become a better & more confident writer. Good luck.

5. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I agree with Suadade. And Hi fellow swede! :) nice to see some more swedish people around here. What kind of stories do you write? I'd say be patient with yourself. Don't try and get the whole story down on paper (outline or whatever) right away, that sure can be overwhelming, but try with the particular scenes you see in your head and develop them as well as you can. As you go by you will have more ideas for the plot, subplots and so on. I recommend you to always carry a notebook with you so that you can write down ideas as they show up, because sometimes even though you think you'll remember them, by the time you get to take notes they have faded and those nice details has gone blurry or disappeared. Just take one scene/chapter at the time and then you can worry about tying (?) them together later.

6. SteamWolf

SteamWolf New Member

To write a huge pile of steaming tripe and never re-read it or show it to anyone is far better than writing nothing at all.

100% of my early writing went striaght from the notepad into the bin. But if I hadn't written it I wouldn't be able to do any of the things I am doing now.

I read somewhere every artist has to draw 1,000 rubbish pictures in order to draw a brilliant one.

PS: Sweden is awesome :D Still dissapointed I couldn't try ice racing when I was there.