1. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

Reviews by user

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Thanshin, Mar 22, 2011.

This is more a spark of imagination than a suggestion.

Imagine a feature that allowed you to list the reviews of a certain forum member or simply the latest hundred reviews. By reviewer, author, date, thread name and "likes".

Imagine being able to vote "I liked that review".

Imagine having a list (a query on the previous list) of "most liked reviews each month".

It would allow us to read great reviews and learn from them.

It would allow us to aspire to greatness.

2. RobT

RobT Active Member

You can do things along these lines by using the "advanced search", and "rate thread" features of the forum, not as cut and dried as having them as a "feature", but they are sort of there.

3. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

It's not the same.

What I imagined is a button that showed me a list of the best reviews of March ordered by score to be able to read them and learn new techniques.

But it's just a derivation of other things I do on the web. It was not a serious suggestion. :)

4. KillianRussell

KillianRussell New Member

My intent is not to hijack this thread..... The idea in theory rocks.

As it stands now the review process has a Caveat emptor (Let the buyer beware) vibe. However with due diligence one can notice a pattern.The "passion extinguishers" are often themselves 'tone deaf'. Finding other posts, allowing me to consider the source here
    has not been difficult

Approach the process as you would a buffet, take what's needed and leave the rest.....One great eye for grammar does not automatically warrant the reviewer's second eye the ultimate authority on content, pacing ,tone, dialect etc. Or in my case vice versa.

We as a group need to be responsible, case in point: I never have and never will read battle,sci-fi or fantasy (honestly that **** makes my eyes bleed) therefore I need to temper my contempt when commenting on 'tone' in a genre I know nothing about other than that reading one paragraph makes me want to slit my wrist with a rusty blade .....ya dig?

I will confess to perversely enjoying the revenge reviews where writer X feels disrespected by writer Z and seeks retaliation. However I fear some here may take the hijinx to heart.

5. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

Hmm... Plus one. Good idea; never thought of that before. I'ma attn: this to Daniel; y'all should too.

6. Manav

Manav New Member

I concur. If you remember, I suggested a review competition many months ago, but it didn't gather the support of the mods because it'll be a logistic nightmare for the mods. This sounds like an improved version of that suggestion and I fully support it. TWO BIG THUMPS UP!

7. KillianRussell

KillianRussell New Member

Why not a works in progress section so we can test for example, comedic tone rather than punch line ... test segmental sections for character exposition to gauge impact ?

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Anything in the Writing Workshop IS a work in progress. If you have no intentions of making any changes in response to critique, what is the point?

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

add my wondering to cog's...

10. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

If you mean Critique Week, the mods fully endorsed it and (at least I feel) it was a complete success.

11. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

And isn't all work in progress will be re-written totally different if they really want it published?

12. Manav

Manav New Member

Critique week was a success and I participated. But that's not what I mean. I made a suggestion about starting a reviewing contest in this very forum.