"Learn dialogue". How do I do this?

Discussion in 'Dialogue Development' started by Link the Writer, May 24, 2015.

1. Phil Partington

Phil Partington Member

This is fantastic, though I would point out that real people DO repeat themselves, just not when asked to. It's common for someone to come full circle in a story or over-elaborate or explain in clunky ways...all things that don't work well for the flow of a novel. But, for all intensive purposes, the article you supplied is spot on.

2. Phil Partington

Phil Partington Member

This is fantastic, though I would point out that real people DO repeat themselves, just not when asked to. It's common for someone to come full circle in a story or over-elaborate or explain in clunky ways...all things that don't work well for the flow of a novel. But, for all intensive purposes, the article you supplied is spot on.

3. Phil Partington

Phil Partington Member

This is fantastic, though I would point out that real people DO repeat themselves, just not when asked to. It's common for someone to come full circle in a story or over elaborate or explain in clunky ways...all things that don't work well for the flow of a novel. But, for all intensive purposes, the article you supplied is spot on.

4. Phil Partington

Phil Partington Member

Damn. I've tried to reply to this several times, and it even shows it there but then it's not...so if my reply suddenly appears like forty times, my sincerest apologies.

Anyway, this is great stuff, Ginger. I would add that in real life people DO repeat themselves, just not when asked to. They repeat themselves all the time, in stories they tell, when they come back to a point...and it's obnoxious sometimes :p. Point being, while we want to write believable characters through believable dialogue, there's still an element of sifting through believable and what works best for the fluidity of the story.

But I realize that wasn't your point, so I guess I'm splitting hairs. The bigger point is that the article is great!