1. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributing Member Contributor

Lea's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Lea`Brooks, Feb 3, 2015.

So the thread on losing inspiration really hit me hard the other day. A member there said what I've always been afraid of -- that there's a difference between writers and fantasizers. Because I want to be a writer, yes. Absolutely. But I've become a fantasizer.

I used to write short stories as a child and enter them into contests (though I hate saying, "I'm 26 and have been writing for 20 years"). I wrote poetry in grade school, roleplayed, and started my first novel in high school, which I abandoned after eight chapters. It wasn't until I was 19 that I decided, really, that I wanted to be a writer. Since then, it's just been a lot of planning, with only a little writing. I would write between two and eight chapters, only to decide that I hated it, and I'd delete it and never think about it again.

In the last year, the only thing I've truly written are all of my ideas and one short story. I guess a short story is better than nothing, but still. The thread made me realize that I don't WANT to be a fantasizer. I want to be a writer.

So today, I downloaded LibreOffice on my new computer.. and I wrote.

Title: None yet
    Genre: Urban fantasy, preferably directed toward the New Adult age group
    Setting: Colorado, in an undisclosed time in the future, where tolerance has become the norm and people are allowed to be live happily, mostly free of discrimination
    Inspiration: A dream I had about a young girl choosing to turn into a vicious-looking monster to prove that they are gentle, kind creatures
    Theme: Tolerance and acceptance, empowerment and coming into your own, choosing for yourself instead of following orders, appearance isn't always what it seems
    Main Characters: Giselle Lesco-- 20ish; daughter of the oppressive governor of Colorado; believes people are innately good and tries to prove this to her family; is used to doing what she's told and must learn to speak up, defend herself, and become her own person.
    Lonnie-- a golem (might change this later) with a bad attitude; used to be very close to a human woman, but she was accidentally killed by other golems; separates himself from his home town out of anger and must learn to trust people again.
    Synopsis (working): Creatures of myth have come out of hiding. Vampires, werewolves, and faeries walk the streets among humans. They seek jobs and education. Their aim is to have the same rights and acceptance as humans. But the world is unsure of what to make of them. America has become so fearful that they've made it illegal for these creatures -- or heteroclites -- to breed in any way. They must register their new addresses, vehicles, and jobs as if they were common criminals until the country can decide on a better way to deal with them.

Governor Lesco, father of Giselle, is determined to see them all locked away and studied. But Giselle disagrees with his plan. And when she is given a college assignment to argue for or against the heteroclites (commonly -- and insultingly -- known as kinks), she meets a golem named Lonnie. Determined to prove that the kinks are no different than humans, Giselle begs Lonnie to break the law and change her into a creature like him. Knowing she is determined to be changed, and not trusting anyone else to do it, Lonnie agrees.

But it soon becomes clear to Lonnie that Giselle's new life force is tied to something greater. If she doesn't make it across the country to the Stele -- the creator of the golems -- then she will perish. Lonnie is determined to save her in the way he couldn't save his friend, so he promises to get her to the Stele -- without ever telling her that her life is in danger. However, Governor Lesco, unaware of the circumstances surrounding his daughter's life, has declared Lonnie a criminal and has started a nationwide manhunt to arrest Lonnie and bring Giselle home.

Can Lonnie and Giselle make it to the Stele in time, all the while avoiding capture?

Current Word Count: 2,850 (2 1/2 Chapters)

It's not much. And it's shit. (Giselle said this. Then she did this. Then this happened.) Complete shit with no emotion and no description. But it's something. At least I have something. I can always edit it later. And for the first time in my entire life, I don't care that the first two chapters aren't perfect. I just want to put something down. I know once I get moving, it'll be hard to stop. The only reason I stopped where I did today is because I know it'll be easy to pick up from tomorrow.

So... yay me! :p

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

Wishing you all the best as you move forward. Getting that firs draft finished, beginning to end will be a great accomplishment. You're right. The prose may not sparkle at the moment, but a first draft isn't supposed to be perfect, and you'll improve and know your story, characters and setting better as you proceed, and the story will get stronger. Then, when you go back and revise/edit, it'll begin to show it's true potential. I say 'begin' because it'll take more than one editing pass.

So yes, Yay You!

Lea`Brooks likes this.
  3. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributing Member Contributor

One thing that will lend depth and drama is to make sure your oppositional characters, such as the governor, think and do as they do from real motivations and convictions, not just because you need somebody in that role.

And Giselle. When she takes on the golem body, does she find that just maybe she's tempted to do the kind of golemish things that had people traditionally afraid of them? So that thereafter, instead of trying to prove that all sentient creatures are innately good (except for her mean daddy, of course), her new struggle is to prove that all sentient creatures can choose to do the right thing, just like humans, and should be allowed to live free until they actually commit a crime, just like humans? That would give her some doubts and inner conflicts, as opposed to "I'm 20 and I know everything. Just watch me prove the grownups wrong!"

4. Lea`Brooks

Oh, definitely. :) He's very much a traditional person. He believes in status and good family names and doing things strictly for appearances. When Giselle first tells him she chose to change into a golem, he hears her, but instead tries to make the cases that Lonnie manipulated her. Because if the governor were to have a "kink" daughter, it could ruin his entire campaign and he'd lose all his support and connections. He might also lose his eldest daughter and her family, because her husband is also in politics. So when the governor calls the police, it's to report that Lonnie illegally changed her, but also kidnapped his daughter, so that she'll seem like an innocent bystander.

Is it sad that I hadn't actually thought about that? Giselle is a "special" kind of golem, so she's going to have a certain few special abilities that other people don't have. I was going to have her struggle with that a little bit, but I didn't think much about the other stuff. My golems are typically looked at as scary just because of their appearance, not because of anything they've done. They're actually quite peaceful creatures (at least, this kind of golem because there are several).

But I focused so much on her growing up (standing up against Lonnie and her father and her sister, taking charge or her own life, being able to take care of herself), on the romantic relationship between her and Lonnie, and on her survival that I didn't even really consider her battling being a golem. I should definitely look into that.

Thank you! :D

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  5. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributing Member Contributor

Or you could ramp up the conflict and ambiguity by having someone he was close to in the past harmed or killed by one of the "kinks," and he's convinced they're all that way. He perceives a real generalized danger (rightly or wrongly) and feels it's his duty to protect the (human) commonwealth from the kink threat.

6. Lea`Brooks

I've written absolutely nothing since my first post. :D

I got married days after I started this journal, so that took up much of my time. Add to that trying to get a new social security card and a license, having to get my state inspection done (stupid Virginia), and suffering from vertigo on and off for nearly two weeks, my writing has taken a back seat.

However, I have been keeping my brain active. I've been working on my high fantasy novel Exaltation a little, figuring out the details, the Gods and Goddesses, the main characters, the story. It's still a work in progress, but I'm confident it's better this time around than it was before.

I think the MC in Exaltation will be named Seren. Her full name would be Serenity, given to her at birth because she didn't cry. But her friends would call her Seren. I like it. I think it fits her personality. It's soft and subtle, but there's also a strength to it that my character needs. Or maybe just Sera... But I think there's a character in Final Fantasy 13 named Sera.. I'm worried people will relate the two. And Sera doesn't seem as strong as Seren.

I don't know why I'm worrying about it now. I'll probably end up changing it in a week anyway. :rolleyes:

7. Okon

Okon Contributing Member Contributor

I vote Seren, but don't worry about Sera being to similar to anything. Little connections can always be drawn, it's just how fiction is.

Besides, certain people are only going to accuse you of being a hack if you write the next blockbuster. See: Hunger Games/Battle Royal nutters. And they will draw some pretty crazy conclusions about your blockbuster anyway, I.E. "The title has the same amount of syllables as X, and the same plot arc as Y!" so I wouldn't even try to please them.

Anyway, your urban fantasy sounds interesting. Hopefully life will settle so you can get back to it:agreed:.

Lea`Brooks likes this.
  8. Lea`Brooks

Thank you! :love: That's actually very helpful. Choosing names is always something I've struggled with. I never wanted to pick a name that could be related to something else. But I suppose everything has been done before, right? :p

9. Lea`Brooks

Stilllll haven't written.... anything. lol

But! I've done a lot of work on Exaltation. I changed it from New Adult to Young Adult. It was YA originally, but I felt YA was viewed with such negativity that my novel wouldn't be successful. So I switched it to NA, and it never really flowed. Everything kept pulling back to my MC being too old, needing to be a teenager. Then an idea came to me, and my MC immediately switched from 25 to 17. I didn't even plan it. I just pictured her after that and she was suddenly a teenager! And it works. Now I have stronger characters, characters that I like better, because of the age change.

The backstory for Exaltation hasn't changed too much. But the main story is finally coming together. I think I have my timeline down. Now I just need the details. I can't decide if I want to plan every scene like I did with my urban fantasy or if I should just go with the flow. I think I may do a mix of both: plan the major events, let the rest write itself.

Names. Sigh... lol I'm losing a lot of characters and changing the ones I'm not losing, so I need new names for nearly all of them. At the moment, I have Serenity, her mother Dymnsi, and her friend Echo. I'm still torn between Icha, Ika, and Ochen for Echo's brother. I like the sound of Ika, but I like the look of Icha. But I think Ochen might fit his personality more.

I wonder... Can you change pronunciations? lol I know Icha is supposed to be pronounced "itch-uh" but if it's placed next to Echo, would people naturally pronounce it "eye-kuh?" I wish... If so, I would totally use it instead! lol

Anyway. Been doing a lot of planning, so I'm feeling more confident in Exaltation again.

10. Lea`Brooks

Still in the planning stages of Exaltation.. I wish I could just get my urban fantasy written, but I can't focus on one book when I have a different one stuck in my brain. So I'm gunna work on this one until the inspiration leaves me, then I'll move on to another.

I have the basic plotline blocked out now. I feel pretty good about it. I keep trying to look at it from an outsider's point of view. I think the Divergent series really drove me to do this. I love the movies, mostly because of the entertainment value. But the story wasn't well thought out, the characters don't make any sense, and the plot holes are big enough to jump through. And I don't want someone to ever read my book and think that about something I wrote.

Anyway. Looking at it as an outsider helps. It points out the flaws. It makes me reevaluate things, question why I did it, does it make sense, how did it get there. And I think it's good. Or it's getting better, at least.

I've finally got most of the names down. They are much simpler now. I think it's more effective that way. Before, I had Anana, Myirna, Udiya, and Heimir mixed with Naomi, Lila, Nanette, and Greyson. They names just didn't have any continuity. And I think I knew that. I was just hoping that adding a few normal names would make the weird names seem... less.. weird....... Somehow...

Anyway. Now ALL the names are weird, but pleasantly so, in my opinion. Now I have Seren, Merda, Vordys, and Levon mixed with Sirena, Dowr, Illi, and Carran. I think they are much more powerful now. Simple. Easy to pronounce (hopefully). I still have a few more characters to name, but that's pretty much done.

Now it's on to creating races! That's going to be the tricky part. Before, I had about 20 different races. All different names, different abilities, different strengths. And all that is very important, because a big chunk of my book is going to focus on the strength of magical beings. But I don't know if I need 20. But I guess I have to have 20... I have 10 gods and goddesses, and if I want two races representing each god, that's 20 races in total. Ugh. There's a reason I saved this step for last. lol

11. Lea`Brooks

Exaltation: I only need three names. Earth goddess, and the Life and Air gods. For some reason, I'm having a seriously hard time finding names for them. But I don't need them right away, so I've moved on. When I think about it, I pull up a baby name site and do a little browsing. But it's not such a big focus anymore.

I made significant progress on the races. I decided to do one elemental per god. And they aren't going to evolve like Pokemon anymore... lol I'm going to have upper class, middle class, and lower class creatures. I've determined which ones are rare and which are common. I've got most of them already planned. I just need a few little things done.

I'm feeling really confident about this story, even though I haven't written a word, and even though it's cliche. There's nothing wrong with cliches as long as they are entertaining. And I feel I have a lot of original ideas mixed with the cliche story, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Urban Fantasy: I made a major break in on of my main characters. For some reason, this story came so easily to me. But I've always gotten stuck in the writing part. I think I figured out why.

I haven't figured out my main character's personality! I used to write her as a Mary Sue. But that didn't work. So then I wrote her as annoying and talkative. And that didn't work. So I changed her again, and I think it's going to work better. She's going to be shy, too shy to speak up and defend herself. But she WANTS to be stronger. In her mind, she goes through all the things she wants to say, things she SHOULD say... But she's too shy and scared to say them. So her journey is going to involve her growing into her strength. Which is basically how she was before, just going to be written differently. She's actually going to acknowledge her anger and sadness and hurt now instead of just sweeping it under the rug.

I haven't written any more on it yet. I've been so focused on Exaltation. But it's there. And it's waiting. And I'll get to it when the inspiration hits me. I'm most confident about this project than any other I'm working on. I know it's a different concept. I know it's something that's never been done before. I just have to make sure I do it justice in the writing.

Good luck, me!

12. Lea`Brooks

I've been struggling something fierce with Exaltation. It just isn't flowing the way that it used to. I don't know if it's a block or what. But it's not moving forward. Every time I open my notebook to work on it, I just end up going backwards. I have a plotline, but it doesn't feel right. I have characters, but they don't feel complete anymore. I have a setting, but it feels weak.

So I'm starting over. Not entirely, of course. But I'm looking at it as if I just started. I need to remember why I wanted to write this novel in the first place. I need to find the magic and romance that it used to have.

So far, I've taken one location and changed it back to the original. The castle was supposed to be minimal. The queens in my story aren't materialistic. They're spiritual and kind and all about progress, not material possessions. And the castle reflected that. It was more a house, not a castle, with a small village surrounding it that the workers lived in. And in my attempt to make my story grand, I lost the simplicity. I made a grand, huge castle with rich finishes and furniture. So that's all gone, and I'm back to what I had before.

I changed some characters too. Not as much change there, but I scrapped some characters and brought back some old ones. The characters are what I loved about the story, and I lost them. But they're back now!

I've stopped caring about cliches. Maybe it'll mean I'll never get published. But the cliches made my story. I had a prophecy that drove the story when I first started it. I scrapped it because I read how much readers hate them. But I loved the prophecy. And I don't care if it's cliche. It's back, and it's going to bring my story back to where I want it.

So... Some progress. But it's still a long way off. One step at a time.

13. Lea`Brooks

I'm ditching Exaltation. Not forever. Just... for now. :(

I've been working on that story for longer than I want to admit. And it's changed so much. But it's always gotten better. But now it's getting worse. And I don't know why. I don't know what I don't like about it. But it makes me sad to even look at it anymore. So it's going away for a while, until I can get enough distance to really figure out what's wrong with it.

For now, I'm going to focus on the urban fantasy. After the world history question I posted, I realized I don't have a clear backstory, mostly because I don't have a sense of economics. If the sea levels started rising, what would that do to the economy? How could half of the country fall into disrepair?

I think at this point, I'll just forget it for now. It's not the driving point of my story. Just the setting. So I'll add some segments in once I figure out the history.

Until then, I'm going to try to write every day. I've been out of sorts recently so writing is the last thing I want to do. But I want to get back into it. So when I go out to smoke, I'm going to take my notebook and write until I'm done. Even if it's only a sentence, at least it'll be something. And eventually I'll write more and more until I get back into it....

Right?

Viridian likes this.
  14. Woof

Woof Contributing Member

Sounds like you've got a bit of burnout so yes, I would say you're doing the right thing by suspending that one for a little while. And yes, keep writing, but allow yourself to try something wholly different perhaps? Something throw-away that you wouldn't normally do and can just do for fun. If I lose the plot -- figuratively and literally! -- I write poetry, or take my characters out for a spin somewhere they'd never normally go (like a garden party!) and write something daft.

Did you know that Seren is Welsh for star? :)

15. Lea`Brooks

I did know Seren was Welsh for star! :) Most of the names I choose have meaning, and I thought star would fit my character well.

I've actually done pretty well today. I wrote my urban fantasy as soon as I posted this and got half of the first chapter done. And I must admit, it's not terrible! I've been so focused on trying to write my MC's personality perfectly that I've gotten stuck. So I started the chapter differently and her personality just came out naturally. So it's good!

Just a little a day. :p

Woof likes this.
  16. Lea`Brooks

I've been feeling very down on myself lately. I don't know if it's the failure of Exaltation or what. But I'm starting to think I'll never finish a novel, ever, so I'll never be published.

I have the worst work ethic in the world. lol Actually, that's not true. I do great at work -- I've always been the kind of person people can rely on to get shit done and get it done right. However, when I have no one to impress, to applaud me for helping them out, or to acknowledge my hard work, I procrastinate. My husband has tried to set deadlines for me -- "I want two chapters by the time I get home from work." He's just trying to help, I know. But for some reason, even that doesn't work for me. If anything, it makes me want to write even less. lol

I think the problem is that I'm afraid I'll fail. I won't be able to get two chapters done, or even one chapter, or five hundred words, or less than that. So then I'll not only disappoint him, but I'll disappoint myself. That's why I've always hated making writing deadlines for myself. Because I'm so afraid to fail that I'd rather not attempt it at all. So then I can just say, "I didn't want to do it," instead of, "I tried and failed." I know it seems backwards. But I'd rather do nothing and admit to doing nothing, because if I don't even try, then I don't really fail. Because I didn't put in the effort.

But if I try and put in my best effort and still fail, then suddenly my best effort isn't good enough. I did all that I could, and it still wasn't enough. And then I'm not just quit-face. I'm failure-face. I'm not-good-enough-face. And I'd rather be quit-face than failure-face.

What I need to do is set up my desk properly, keep my notebook on it, and treat writing like a job. I need to set aside an hour or two every day where I just sit at my desk and write like I'm getting paid to do it. Like someone is expecting me to come into work, clock in, put my words down, clock out, go home. No option. No excuses. No laptop. Just me, my notes, and my notebook. And if I don't get anything down, then at least I sat there and looked at it for an hour a day. Hopefully I'll get into the routine of it and writing will come easier.

But first.... I must set up my desk... And get a chair. 'Cause standing while I write just isn't my jam.

Viridian and HelloThere like this.
  17. Woof

Woof Contributing Member

Don't forget the 'Do not Disturb' sign!

Lea`Brooks likes this.
  18. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributing Member Contributor

We should work on NaNoWriMo together! By together I mean give each other moral support!

Remember my friend. I believe in you. :)
    Once you are published I am going to buy your book for my bookshelf :D. Once I buy a bookshelf that is.

Lea`Brooks likes this.
  19. BookLover

BookLover Contributing Member

I look at things in the opposite way. For years now I've held onto the idea that the only real failure is not trying. Actually I think it was the movie Little Miss Sunshine that helped cultivate my ideas around that. lol.

A quick google search and I found a quote from that movie that sort of sums up what I mean, although I remember the quote being about failures not losers, but whatever. It's the same idea.

Olive: Grandpa?
    Grandpa: Yeah?
    Olive: [tearfully] I don't wanna be a loser.
    Grandpa: You're not a loser. Where'd you get the idea you're a loser?
    Olive: [breaking down] Because... Daddy hates losers.
    Grandpa: Whoa whoa whoa, back up a minute. D'you know what a loser is? A real loser is someone who's so afraid of not winning, they don't even try. Now you're trying, right?
    Olive: [tearfully] Yeah?
    Grandpa: Well then you're not a loser! We're gonna have fun tomorrow, right?
    Olive: [more cheerfully] Yeah.
    Grandpa: We can tell 'em all to go to hell.

That was a good movie.

Viridian, Lea`Brooks and HelloThere like this.
  20. HelloThere

HelloThere Contributing Member

I know what you mean, it is a tricky mentality to move past, cos in a sense getting past that mentality is just another test you'd rather quit than fail at. Let me know if you stumble upon some magic cure for it!

21. Lea`Brooks

Title: Exaltation

Genre: High fantasy, no defined age group

Setting: the fictional country of Arlynon, mainly in the capital city Preithos

Main Character (working): Serenity "Seren" Sandrin -- a girl between the age of 18-22. Her mother died of an illness when she was nine. When her father became sick, he left their home to die so that Seren wouldn't have to take care of him. She was 14. She continued to live on the farm she was raised on, taking care of the animals and crops with the help of neighbors. She's become very strong and independent from having to take care of herself, but she's also very generous. Since their world has gone downhill, she does all she can to help others, often forgetting to take care of herself. She has white hair, tanned skin from working outdoors so often, and a deep scar across her left cheek where she was kicked by a cow after her parents died.

Synopsis (working): A mysterious crystal, nicknamed the Shard, appeared in the valley near Seren's town Preithos. For some unknown reason (to the characters), the ground around the Shard began to die. The grass withered away, the dirt turned black, and many of the animals became ill and died. Many flocked to the area, trying to break the crystal. But in their attempts, they were killed. Trying to break it sent out a shockwave that threw everyone near it backwards, often killing them. Touching it infected them with the sickness that would later take their life. Anything thrown at it would ricochet off of it, often hitting another bystander. Discovering that nothing physical could destroy it, spellworkers and mages gathered in an attempt to counteract the magic of the Shard. But all failed.

It became the queen's sole responsibility to try to destroy the Shard. After her attempt killed her, a new queen was crowned. After that queen was killed, another took her place. Fifteen years later, no queen has survived their effort to destroy the Shard.

Meanwhile, the sickness of the Shard continued to spread. Crops were destroyed. Wildlife and farm animals died, either from the sickness or starvation. The carnivores that didn't die from the sickness became mad with hunger and would kill anything with meat. With the rulers so focused on feeding their people, the city started to crumble around them. The townsfolk grew hopeless, seeing no victory in sight.

In Preithos on business, Seren decided to watch the ceremony to choose the next queen. And to her horror, she has somehow been chosen. Refusing to accept her fate, Seren tries everything in her power to bring hope back to Arlynon, discover the origins of the Shard, and to destroy it once and for all.

Progress: No word count yet, but I have ten chapters outlined and ready to be written. :)

I'm so proud of me. :love: You go, Beth! Show that writer's block who's boss!

22. Lea`Brooks

Exaltation: Apparently, I misjudged how many chapters I had outlined yesterday. It was just a rough guess, not an actual count. Because after reviewing further today and setting the proper boundaries, I only had six chapters planned. Boo. :(

But after a significant amount of work today, I have raised that number to fourteen! Woot woot!

I'm so in love with this story. I've always liked my story ideas before. But I truly love this one. It has the fantasy element that I enjoy, plus it's a little dark and gritty. The characters are fitting in so perfectly and their connections are happening naturally. Everything is falling into place with little effort, and it's very exciting.

The only worry I have is that the story is moving too quickly. Maybe once I start writing, I'll be able to slow it down some. I just struggle to write character building scenes that have little to do with the plot. Hopefully I'll get the hang of that.

23. Lea`Brooks

Didn't make as much progress today as previous days. I'm only up to eighteen chapters planned now. But four new chapters is better than nothing!

However, I'm starting to get really worried now about the pace. I'm planning to have around forty chapters at 2k words each, bringing it up to 80k, which seems like a good length for a novel. But I'm planning Ch19, not even halfway through the book yet, and I'm about to get to an important part of the story...

My MC Seren discovers that the Shard hasn't spread its illness across the entire world yet. There are still parts that are green and healthy, with thriving wildlife and food and zero restraints on magic. So she decides to travel to a neighboring country that has yet to be infected and ask for their aid.

But... I'm not sure if I'll be able to drag that out for another twenty chapters. I know I'll have a little tug-o-war between Seren and the other country's king. His people are safe and comfy, so why would they share their food when the sickness may spread to them soon? Why would they travel to her country to help destroy the Shard if it could potentially kill them? But eventually, they come around and help. I might be able to stretch that through three chapters. Five at the most. Then, Seren learns about a secret underground group. They eventually help her train to become stronger. Again, three to five chapters at most. And then another three to five chapters for the ending.. And that only brings me to nine to fifteen addition chapters, putting me at Ch28 or Ch34. That's a long way from forty. And at 2k words a chapter, that only brings me to 56-68k... And the typical novel is around 80k, with Sci-fi/Fantasy being well over 100k.

Hopefully, once I start planning the remaining chapters, some additional scenes will come to me and stretch it out. And I'm sure once I start actually writing it, it'll change. The word count may grow, I may incorporate more scenes, have more dialogue than I thought I would, etc. But there's still a lot of work ahead of me... I'm just glad I'm getting into the habit of working on it every day. Hopefully I can stick with this routine when it comes time to write.

24. Lea`Brooks

Five more chapters planned today, even with my husband being off work and distracting! I don't know if the last scene is the most effective way I couldn't gone about it, but I'll review it tomorrow and see how it feels.

Also, as it turns out, my main character has an aunt I didn't know about! Funny how that works.

I'm still a little concerned about the pace. But I'm not rushing it or slowing it down to fit. I'm just going to let it plan itself out and worry about the word count once I actually start writing.

25. Lea`Brooks

I.. am officially.. stuck. I've been staring at my notebook for two and a half hours and have come up with nothing.

I originally planned to make two books out of this story, possibly three depending on how the second went. But now I'm halfway through the first book, and I'm realizing that maybe that's unrealistic. The story has come to a point where I need to release more information. But if I release it now, I'll have nothing to focus on in the second book.

So I thought, okay. Not all books have to have sequels. It'd be nice, because I know I always look forward to them as a reader. But I guess it isn't necessary. So I'll make it one book. But I didn't build it up for one book. The main bad guy is never even mentioned. I could go back and talk about him, but it would change everything. And I'd have to completely start over. Definitely not doing that.

So then it's back to being two books. But then I worry about the second book and if I'll have enough content to fill it. So I go back to the one book idea. I could just insert the bad guy now. But I've planned over half of the book so far. Focusing on a new bad guy now would drag it out at least twenty more chapters. And at that length, the book would be huge. So I go back to two books, but...

You get the picture. That's all I've done today. Back and forth and back and forth. Not a single chapter planned today. Actually, I went backwards because I combined two small chapters.

So I'm giving up for the day. If I'm not feeling it, I'm not going to force it. Forcing makes bad stories. I'll keep my brain on it and look at it later tonight or tomorrow morning. Hopefully a solution will come to me.