1. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

leaving yourself out of a query

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by afinemess, Jan 28, 2010.

Alright, so I have been working quiet hard on my query letter. And by that, I mean I have spent numerous hours upon hours googling what NOT to do. I wrote a quick one up before I started, just as a draft to see where I should improve, and I have noticed many mistakes and corrected them, and I think I'm on the road to a good, interesting, thought provoking, noticeable, amazing, slush pile smasher of a letter. (I kid, I kid...)

Big problem: I haven't mentioned myself once in this letter.

I figure the story was the interesting part, and since i have no credentials, I just told about my story, and left much mention of myself to a minimum. (I mean, really, the only relevent writing fact about me is that I'm dyslexic and that I failed English 101. That's nothing to brag about.)

Is it bad to leave myself out? I understand how'd they like to know something about me, but I can't come up with anything. Thoughts?

(and I promise, no more questions from me until it's finished after this.)

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Only include relevant personal information. If, for instance, you are writing a book aboutthe aviation industry, it may be relevant to mention your time in the Air Force as a pilot over Iraq, and your current job as a pilot for a major airline.

Other than biographical points that add to your credibility, keep the biography to a minimum. If they want a biographical blurb for the dust jacket (or an "About the author" block in a magazine), they can get that after the piece is accepted.

3. NaCl

NaCl Contributing Member Contributor

Sorry for picking on your post structure, but if this illustrates your attention to detail, then your query letter may trigger an unwanted response. At an absolute minimum, that letter must be professional and flawless. You may only get one paragraph to impress the agent.

4. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

Thank you.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

aside from book-related experience, as noted by cog, all they want to know is if you have any significant paid credits as a writer... so, if you have neither, you're wise to leave yourself out...