1. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Lemex's Project Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Lemex, Oct 29, 2014.

So I've decided I can't hold off on this idea any longer, and after working on it on-and-off for a little while now I thought I'd make one of these here progress journals to make it seem all nice and official. This is an idea, and I know it will be a big one, that I've been thinking about for some time:

Title: A Serpent's Trap (Working title)
    Genre: Novel (god I hate that word)
    End Word Count: Hopefully between 80,000 and 120,000 words.
    Word Count (current): 25,964
    Page Count (current): 77
    Part currently working on: Part 1, chapter 5.

This is loosely based on the Oresteia of Aeschylus, set in the modern world, and follows Aaron Medwin the Orestes stand in.

Because I'm already rather busy I figure if I can add at least 500 words a week to the manuscript that might be enough for now, when I have more time on my hands I will obviously be speeding up. I have a few structural quirks I want to keep to for symbolic reasons. This project is to be split into three parts, and are three parts to each chapter, however the number of chapters will depend entirely on how many will be needed to tell the full story in my head. However, as previously pointed it will as close as possible correspond to the story of the Oresteia, thus this project is structured:

Part 1 - Agamemnon
    Part 2 - The Libation Bearers
    Part 3 - The Eumenides

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  2. Lemex

I wasn't feeling particularly inspired tonight, but I got an hour to myself and was able to add 800 words to the manuscript. I have one more scene to write and I'll have finished the first draft of chapter 2. When I'm feeling better I'll write it, I hope that can be tomorrow.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  3. Lemex

700 (there about) words added to the manuscript, mostly on starting part 3 of chapter 2. I'm close, a 1000 words or 2,000 words, away from completing how I want chapter 2, and I'm moving deeper into the story. :)

4. Poziga

Poziga Contributing Member Contributor

So how long are your chapters?

I'm writing a psychological thriller and chapter two contains 3200 words. There isn't any standard as to how long the chapters have to be, right? :)

5. Lemex

The first chapter is from page 3 to page 19 in the manuscript, and is 5,637 words, chapter 2 is so far page 20 to page 32, and is 4,405 words so far. There is no standard You can have chapters as long as you want, and can structure them as you want, the way I want to separate this project is that every chapter has three parts to it.

The number 3 is a major theme in the project, and relates to the core meaning of it. :)

Poziga likes this.
  6. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

I'm very curious about this. Think you could put up a tiny snippet right here, even just 100 words?

7. Lemex

I suppose I cannot see anything wrong with that. Here's the first paragraph, so rough you'd swear it's been drinking:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  8. Poziga

Poziga Contributing Member Contributor

Thanks for the info. :)

Keep on the good work, I like it that the story starts immediately with an act and emotions. :)

9. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

It's very good.
    Clean prose. Solid, emotional start. Good dynamic between character, setting, and event. Name, gender, and general setting are all displayed in first two sentence. Done like a pro. (I know you know all this. I'm saying it for the benefit of anyone else who might be viewing).

Lemex likes this.
  10. Lemex

Added a bit more to it, and also have a good plan in my head for finishing chapter 2 - I plan on having it finished by the end of the month at absolute worst. :)

11. Lemex

Since I finished all my reading for tomorrow much earlier than expected I was able to work on this, adding somewhere (I've not bothered to do a word count) around 2,000 words to it, and finishing chapter 2!

Two of the sections I'm not sure about the quality at all, but the last section of chapter 2 I'm honestly rather proud of, and I think gives a lot to the characters.

Chapter two starts with seeing Aaron's dad's new girlfriend (Cassandra - the only name I've not changed from the Oresteia) in hospital. Part 2 is about Aaron and his housemate Paul going to an old friend's house party and getting so drunk they have to get a friend of a friend to drive them home as a little relief away from the darkness that'll soon be unfolding in the story. Part 3 is Aaron trying to get to sleep the night after the party and remembering moments from his past.

12. Lemex

Planned and mapped out chapter 3. I know everything I want to happen in it. Also rethrought and remapped part 3 of chapter 1, adding some images and symbols to things that should act as allusions and references to Agamemnon, the first play in The Oresteia.

13. Lemex

Added: 1,300 words to the manuscript, making it now three pages more and 14,200 words,. ^.^

I've started chapter 3, and the story is just about to really start moving. The 1,300 words involve Aaron waking up hungover from the party in chapter 2 and then getting a visit form the police suggesting that his father's death is suspicious.

Because I've had to write academic stuff, this has been a welcome return to fiction. And honestly, I picked up exactly where I left off. It's nice to have the story feel like it's really picking up speed now and soon things will start to unravel around Aaron's father's death, and I can start dealing with the more complex aspects of my plan.

Wonderful! I feel at home, and am happy. :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  14. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

Lemex, it's neat that you can just pick up where you left off, especially after engaging in other writing that takes you away from the story.

15. Lemex

I was terrified I wouldn't be able to. I helped myself by starting a new chapter, but still. As soon as I started writing a lot of things just came back to me, and I was able to write 1,000 words in about half an hour while sipping on a rum and coke. The alcohol may have helped, but still, I'm thrilled.

16. Lemex

By contrast, today's writing session has been very hard.

I've not really known what to write to be honest. But by the end of this first part of the third chapter I ended on what I think is some good writing. I don't know though, but I've managed to add another 900 words to the manuscript by 13:30, starting at 11:00 on a day of non-inspiration.

Now on to part 2 of chapter 3, which should start on much more solid ground.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  17. TWErvin2

What works for me is to edit the last section (what I wrote the previous writing session). That way I'm reminded of what was happening and the text is cleaned up while getting the flow and action back in my mind. But everyone has a method that works for them :)

123456789 and Lemex like this.
  18. Lemex

That's a good idea. I'll be writing again tonight, and if I become terribly stuck I will give this a go. Thank you. :)

TWErvin2 likes this.
  19. Lemex

Added 500 words to my manuscript, not feeling not particularly inspired I must be honest. I can see myself deleting what I have just written actually, and if that happens I'll not be upset.

I wish I could find my plan for chapter 3, as that would make my life so much easier right now.

20. Lemex

Added 702 words to the manuscript, just to get me to where I want to be when I get more free time. I've been working on this, but doing things around the manuscript. Planning and making notes mostly.

I did find my notes on chapter 3 from early December and they were not as detailed or impressive as I remember, also, I think I ... HAVE FOUND MY TITLE! :D I've changed the name of my manuscript, changed it to:

'A Serpent's Trap'

Which seems a much better fitting title for the project in every way, much more fitting.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    GingerCoffee likes this.
  21. TWErvin2

I've found myself going back to my spiral notebook notes and finding them not exactly what I'd imagined I'd written/detail wise. Great you've found a more appropriate title. I think in the back of my mind, having a title that's on target helps me focus on the project a little more.

Lemex likes this.
  22. Lemex

Obviously it is early days for me to find if this is the case for me, but it feels like it is the case. It certainly feels more solid as an idea in my head now I have this title. The first title, 'The Libation Bearer' didn't really even make much sense in one big way.

23. Lemex

Ok, so I've been really inactive on this project recently, mostly because of pressures of work and such other things, however I had an hour free before a symposium so I decided to write and add more to this manucript. I've added 1,091 words for the final part of chapter 3, first part of chapter 4. I'm still only half way through part 2 of chapter 3 still, but still. I plan on bridging the gap between this and the rest tonight at earliest.

The bit I've added is a reflection on a story told to a character by their family friend, who is an American working here in Blighty, and the story of when he tried to enlist in the US army during the Vietnam War. I hope I haven't taken it from somewhere unconsiously, and I think if it can happily fit in with the rest, it will be a really good way of dealing with one of the major themes of this project - really the core theme, actually.

I really really hope this can fit in somewhere, I really want it too. I honestly think it might be one of the better passages of the project so far if it can.

Also, a lot of this current first 'part' is pretty well in my head, and I know basically how the next few chapters are going to all pan out.

peachalulu likes this.
  24. Lemex

Added a further 700 words to the manuscript tonight. :)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  25. Lemex

Added about 500 words today while I studied for a paper and a coming speech. Most of them were silly jokes I thought up as I read about Frost's critical reception.

Edit: ended today having written somewhere around 1,200 words. Woop! Good for a day that wasn't dedicated to writing. :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    GingerCoffee likes this.