1. kmet

kmet Member

lenght of synopsis for novella

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by kmet, Mar 7, 2010.

What is the proper length of a synopsis for a short novel or novella? My story is only about 24,500 words. (I know this puts me in a bad range, I can't cut it down to a short story, or lengthen it to a full novel.) So, I'm not sure if I am still supposed to stick with the two page synopsis. I tried to find some info online, but didn't come up with much.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, feedback from anyone who also finds themself struggling with the length of their novella would be great.

Thanks

2. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

If the publisher/agent specifies a length of two pages, that is the maximum. If you need only one page or a page and a half that's what you use.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i you're trying to get this accepted by a magazine, check each publisher's guidelines... there won't be many that take novellas...

book publishers in the us don't publish adult fiction that short... but if it's for the YA market, shorter novels are the rule, not the exception...

not everyone even wants a synopsis and size wanted will vary, so prepare a 1-page and wait till you see if anyone wants a longer one...who said you should 'stick to the two page'?...

4. kmet

kmet Member

I haven't chosen a specific publisher to submit to, I was just giving it a try as I thought I should have something to build from when the time comes.

Actually, I do consider it YA. I didn't think a short novel would work for any other genre. Otherwise, I thought maybe the e-book market would be more likely to pick up a novella...

5. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributing Member Contributor

For a manuscript this short, anything over one page would be way too much. If it takes 250 - 300 words to synopsize a 25,000 word manuscript no publisher is going to be very impressed. Keep it brief and to the point. A publisher reading two pages of synopsis for 100 - 125 page document will think you have got a lot of waste in the manuscript... wordy synopsis, they will figure, translates to wordy manuscript. And, if you need two pages to tell what the story is about - NOTE: not re-tell the story - then you probably want to go back and re-think/re-work your synopsis. Just like the manuscript itself, you want to keep it tight.