1. thejakeman

thejakeman New Member

Interpsed

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by thejakeman, Sep 17, 2008.

I couldn't find the exact best place for this, but here we go:

Interpsed apparently does not exist as a word, and yet, word 2007 marks it as correct. If you look it up using the dictionary function, it does not come up. If you look it up online at dictionary.com or other such resources, it does not come up. If you google it, you can find several examples of its usage in various writings, but no definition.

I understand it to be a synonym for the word " interposed, " basically meaning placed in between things. The examples i found agree with my definition, more or less.

So what is the deal? Is this the word that the internet forgot?

2. stoned4assassin20

stoned4assassin20 New Member

The would postulated that "interpsed" is merely a typo of "interposed." The fact that it is only missing an o, is used in the same way as interposed would be, and is not in any dictionary that I can find seem to make this a strong possibility.

Even if it is a real word, "interpsed" doesn't quite roll off the tongue the way "interposed" does. Not enough vowels...

Someone may correct me on this, but I would write it off as a typo.

3. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Dude, you forgot to click on the "Spelling & Grammar" tab. Go to the document, click on REVIEW tab on top, then click on "Spelling & Grammar." It'll instantly conduct a spell check, and will say that the word isn't in the dictionary. Click on S&G again, and it'll suggest "interposed."

4. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

Microsoft Word AUTOMATICALLY CHANGES the spelling 'interpsed' to 'interposed'. There is no such word as 'interpsed'. If yours doesn't change it and it shows up as correct, you probably accidentally clicked 'Add to Dictionary'.
    As for it appearing on the Net, it's a simple misspelling. Easily done.

5. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

A likely possibility is that, at some point, someone using your word processor typed "interpsed" instead of "interposed" and then, during a spellcheck, clicked "Add (to dictionary)" rather than "Change."

That means that your version of Word has been informed that "interpsed" is a real word. The examples you've found online are likely typos as well. You can edit it out of your dictionary, if you like.

6. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

My thoughts exactly.

7. thejakeman

thejakeman New Member

How strange. Using the spelling and grammar function fixed it when usually it would have auto-fixed. I could've sworn I've heard this term in daily usage. I guess not. How odd.

8. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Make lemonade out of lemons.

You now have a perfectly good "word" without a definition. Do you want it to be a noun or verb . . . maybe an adjective? How will you define it? Very few people get the chance to add a word to the English language. The world is your oyster - grab it! LOL

The interpsed grown marked his panic as the gallows floor dropped away.

Kelly fought against her restraints as the doctor interpsed his scalpel without benefit of anesthesia.

As the jetliner shuddered and edged towards an uncontrollable death roll, the pilot struggled to prevent disaster. "Right rudder! Full power on the left engines! Turn off the interpsed! Deploy the airbrakes! Come on baby, pull up!"

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

I could've sworn I've heard this term in daily usage. I guess not.

you may be confusing it with 'interspersed'...

and i was going to raise the 'add to the dictionary' solution to the mystery, too... it's the most likely scenario...

10. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

I'm going to say that this is probably the most accurate response you're going to get, pertaining to what actually happened.