Let Off Steam About The Author-Agent Power Dynamic

Discussion in 'Agent Discussion' started by Tenderiser, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I actually do think the prologue bias is fair.

Like Sack I don't mind prologues, but I have other biases. The moment I see something is in present tense, I ditch it and move on. I know how much blood, sweat and tears that author poured into their present-tense story, but I still ditch it without a second thought. I don't owe that writer anything, especially not a read of their book.

Likewise, if I see any mention of elves or wizards, that book's getting deleted (or, more likely, not even downloaded in the first place). Again, arbitrary. Again, fair. I don't owe it to that author to read their book.

Agents don't owe us anything. If we include something they don't like, it isn't unfair of them to not read our work.

2. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I don't think these preferences are arbitrary, at all. You're just mature!

3. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

But I like elves and wizards!
    Until I realize they're all generic and they might as well not be wizards and elves.

ManyGoblins likes this.
  4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Either can be done well. Mostly, they aren't.

5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

It's when all (or most) agents decide to arbitrarily dump the same device or topic from their potential book list that our writing options shrink.

I feel creative writing is rapidly being distilled down to a list of do's and don'ts. Not hypothetical lists either, but actual numbered lists in books about writing and marketing. How depressing is that? Conform or else. For generations, writers have often been nonconformists, whose view of the world is not the same as everybody else's. That is what I fear is changing, and not for the better. Where will the original voices go?

ManyGoblins likes this.
  6. Steerpike

@jannert these days, with self-publishing, your writing options don't shrink. Even if you want traditional publishing, there is no good reason to pursue that alone. Take the hybrid approach, and write what you want.

jannert likes this.
  7. jannert

Yes, I totally agree. In fact I've said it before on the forum, many times. Thank goodness for self-publishing. I know there are lots of problems with it, but I think it's the way forward. That and eBook publishing. Much as I'd rather hold a real book in my hand (mostly to be able to page forward and back more easily to double-check things) I recognise that eBooks create an opportunity to get something out for people to read that doesn't cost the earth to produce. Consequently the financial risk to the publisher (who is probably also the author) isn't high.

It's the way I plan to go, for sure.

My lord, it is SNOWING out there again.... And Sunday is the first day of summer?

ManyGoblins and Steerpike like this.
  8. Steerpike

I agree. There are problems with both routes, but by pursuing both at the same time you tend to offset the problems of one versus the other. When it comes to traditional publishing in particular, pursuing only that route seems to me to be a mistake.

jannert likes this.
  9. Tenderiser

Yeah but I think if that happens, there's a reason. And that reason is that the device isn't popular with readers. Because all agents and editors want is books that readers will buy.

I can't agree that writing is being distilled into do's and don'ts, mostly because I don't read writing advice articles and the ones I do read I tend to eye roll at. I don't take any of them seriously. The way to learn what works and what sells is to read books that have sold. If a certain type of book isn't on the market I wouldn't take it as a cruel conspiracy from the gatekeepers but a sign that that type of book isn't in demand.

Sack-a-Doo! and jannert like this.
  10. jannert

Well, I'm not bothering with the traditional route because 1) my book is way over the 120,000 word upper limit for a new novelist, and 2) I have a prologue. And 3) it's not a genre book. And 4) I'm on the wrong side of the Pond to sell a book by an American writer that's set in the American old west. So I'm not going to waste my time chasing these guys. I've spent many years reading the lists of agents, requirements, etc, and have not found a fit for me. Plus I'm not trying to build a career as a writer. So traditional publishing holds nothing for me, really.

Onward and upward.

ManyGoblins and Steerpike like this.
  11. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

But all the things these agents say they don't want to see, we do end up seeing in many an end product. This tells me it's about the timing of presentation of a thing in our work rather than whether it can or cannot exist. I don't think options are shrinking. I think what is shrinking is time as it relates to the onslaught of work being submitted. I think we're all pretty aware that even when we do get the agent, there's a great deal of likelihood that the original manuscript we first present will see at least some change before it gets put between a glossy cover, so I don't see why, with the clues already present that have given rise to this an umpteen number of other threads on the same topic, we cannot present an item that engages the agent, and once engaged, work on selling the whole kit and caboodle.

12. Tenderiser

Memoirs of a Geisha is a 186,000-word non-genre debut novel with a prologue, set in Japan, from an American author. Arthur Golden's agent is Leigh Feldman. It clearly can be done.

Not wanting to pursue traditional publishing is different from being unable to and your post seems a mix of the two. Also not forgetting you don't need an agent to be traditionally published.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    Sack-a-Doo! and jannert like this.
  13. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Non-sequitur aside: Great book! :agreed: I'm not often playing outside the land of spaceships and aliens, and I really, really, really liked this book.

14. Tenderiser

Me too!

15. jannert

Well, we'll need to agree to disagree on this. I don't think it's a cruel conspiracy, but I do sense flocks of running sheep....

As in my example earlier of the coffee shop, stuff doesn't sell if it's not available. So it's easy to say 'it doesn't sell,' as an excuse for not offering it or giving it a chance.

I am a huge consumer of books, and just gave 10 bin bags full of them to charity, so I have room on my 7 bookcases (5 shelves each) for more. I am a reader. And I'm a reader who has been disappointed in most of the recent books I've bought. They're not terrible, but there is a samey-ness about them that I find discouraging. The genre ones seem shallow and predictible, and the literary ones lack heart. I find most of them easy to put down. I'll pick most of them up again and finish them, but they don't stick with me, and most of them go straight on to the give away pile. The books I keep re-reading are, for the most part, the older ones. Not 'classics,' but just books that were written 10-20 years ago.

Maybe this just means I'm old fashioned. Or maybe this means that recent writing lacks something that draws me in.

ManyGoblins likes this.
  16. jannert

That book was published in 1997. Nearly 20 years ago. Good luck getting your first non-genre novel that's 186,000 words long published today.

That's exactly my point. Back when I first started writing my novel (ironically around the same time as Memoirs of a Geisha was published) I fully expected to try for a traditional publisher. Times have changed.

17. Tenderiser

How common do you think 186,000-word debuts were in 1997?

18. Tenderiser

I don't know why I'm getting into one of these arguments again. The bitterness and vitriol about agents is quite upsetting.

BayView and jannert like this.
  19. jannert

I'm not bitter about my own situation, actually, and I'm trying to avoid vitriol. But the reality is I realistically don't have a hope of getting my novel traditionally published—mainly due to my story's length, but also its subject matter and lack of genre. I think what irritates me is people telling me I should just go for it anyway, that others have succeeded, etc. Show me one single first-time author who has succeeded in the past couple of years with a project similar to mine (in length and subject matter) and I'll eat my hat. I've looked and looked, and can't find any.

It's easier to list what my book is not than it is to discover what it is. It's not a historical novel (although it's set in the past it's not about the past.) It's not a Romance (although there is a love story in it, the love story is not the purpose of the story, and the pair get together in the middle of the story, not the end of it.) It's not a thriller, a mystery, horror, or any other genre I can think of. It most certainly is not a Western (although it is set in the American old west.) I don't consider it 'Literary' either, as my style is ordinary, and I'm not trying to be a poet. I just wanted to create a story about ordinary people trapped by a situation from the past that threatens their lives and their happiness. I tried to tell it in a straightforward, but emotionally engaging manner.

I truly cannot categorise it other than to call it General Fiction—but categorise it I must, and in a couple of short paragraphs as well. I have no idea what sort of agent would be interested in it, even if it was half the length it is.

I have done my research on this issue over a number of years, and have yet to come across a single agent or publishing house whose requirements match what I've written. It seems a huge waste of my time to pursue them, when I can simply self-publish and keep writing. As I've said, I'm not trying to build a career. I just want my book to get out there. I'll worry about getting the word out myself, and maybe catch a few readers. It's the story I wanted to write, and that's what matters to me.

ManyGoblins likes this.
  20. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Again, though, it's no one's job to offer it or give it a chance. Nobody needs to offer any excuses to you because nobody owes you publication. If you ask why someone does something and they tell you why, that's not offering you an excuse, it's doing you the courtesy of explaining something that isn't really any of your business. Publishing is, for the most part, a private enterprise. If the government refused to publish something, you'd have a right to at least some sort of an explanation. But you expecting a private business to give you an excuse for why they don't want to publish something makes as much sense as you being expected to offer an excuse for why you don't want to write something.

I really feel like there's a weird sense of entitlement to some of these attitudes... nobody owes anybody publication or representation or an explanation of why one or the other is not being offered.

jannert likes this.
  21. A.M.P.

If you can't fully categorize it, maybe it'd be either best to give it the closest general genre and maybe an age group (ie: males 20-32) just because it deals with characters of that age and situations that those of such an age can understand/relate to.

Just from reading tweets from agents, quite a handful want to know that the author themselves understand where it belongs in a bookstore.

jannert likes this.
  22. jannert

I think you may have misunderstood my meaning. I'm not saying that a publisher not wanting to publish something needs to offer an excuse. They're perfectly entitled, as individual agents or publishers to say 'I don't like prologues, so I won't look at them.' However, saying it's because they don't sell is another thing entirely. That's become one of those 'truths' we're not supposed to question. But books out there with prologues do sell, so I AM questioning it.

It's like my experience with the chocolate. In fact, dark chocolate assortments do sell, but only when they're in stock. No, everybody won't buy them, and some people hate dark chocolate, but enough people do like it that it's worth making it available. Dark chocolate is still being stocked in that same Thornton's store, years later, and I still go in and buy it. (My Easter Egg this year was dark chocolate and came from that store.)

That day I mentioned—the day they didn't have any in the store— is the only day I've ever tried to buy it there and couldn't. So it doesn't sell was an excuse.

We're being told that prologues don't sell. So ...that means most books that have been published with prologues have failed? I see quite a number of books out there that have prologues that do sell, so I just don't buy that. Unfortunately, it's now become such gospel that many folks (quoted on this forum thread) are putting it about as such. Don't write a prologue, because it won't sell.

Nonsense. It's a self-perpetuating myth. They don't sell because agents and publishers don't put them out there for sale.

(Obviously, like any other writing, these prologues have to be well written and appropriate to the story. But if they are good, they sell.) The milk chocolate readers won't read them, but the rest of us will.

23. jannert

I could probably work around the genre thing if the story was half its length. I'm a world champion waffler, in case you hadn't noticed. :) But it's twice the 'acceptable' length these days, and no amount of waffle is going to conceal that.

Here's the Writer's Digest breakdown of acceptable first novel lengths these days:

http://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/guide-to-literary-agents/word-count-for-novels-and-childrens-books-the-definitive-post

Now here's a breakdown of the famous novels that would not have seen the light of day if they had been submitted by a first-time author using today's criteria. Not because of the quality of their writing, but simply because of the length. Instant reject pile as soon as the agent sees the word count figure.

The ones in the 100-109K group MIGHT get looked at, but they would probably be urged to cut out the 10,000 'extra' words. The others would get the immediate boot. Some of the sci-fi ones might scrape through, because a slightly larger word count is 'allowed.' But apparently anything around 120K is now classified as 'epic fiction.' What a laugh.

word count for books

100,388 – To Kill A Mockingbird – Harper Lee
    100,609 – Ender’s Game – Orson Scott Card
    103,090 – A Distant Shore – Phillips, Caryl
    106,821 – Prisoner of Azkaban – JK Rowling
    107,349 – Gullivers Travels – Jonathan Swift
    107,945 – Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte
    109,571 – The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn – Mark Twain
    112,737 – McTeague – Frank Norris
    112,815 – The Golden Compass – Philip Pullman
    114,634 – Walden – Henry David Thoreau
    114,779 – The Tenth Circle – Jodi Picoult
    119,394 – Sense and Sensibility – Jane Austen
    119,529 – My Sisters Keeper – Jodi Picoult
    123,378 – Atonement – Ian McEwan
    127,776 – Life on the Mississippi – Mark Twain
    128,886 – The Yearling – Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
    130,460 – War Trash – Jin, Ha
    134,462 – The Return of the King – J. R. R. Tolkien
    134,710 – Schindler’s List – Thomas Keneally
    135,420 – A Tale of Two Cities – Charles Dickens
    138,087 – Moll Flanders – Daniel Defoe
    138,098 – Snow Falling on Cedars – Guterson, David
    138,138 – 20000 Leagues Under the Sea – Jules Verne
    143,436 – The Two Towers – J. R. R. Tolkien
    144,523 – One Hundred Years of Solitude – Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    145,092 – A Tree Grows in Brooklyn – Betty Smith
    145,265 – Cold Sassy Tree – Olive Ann Burns
    145,469 – Last of the Mohicans – James Fenimore Cooper
    155,887 – Emma – Jane Austen
    155,960 – Oliver Twist – Charles Dickens
    156,154 – Watership Down – Richard Adams
    157,665 – Alias Grace – Margaret Atwood
    159,276 – The Kitchen God’s Wife – Amy Tan
    161,511 – Cold Mountain – Charles Frazier
    166,622 – Uncle Tom’s Cabin – Harriet Beecher Stowe
    169,389 – White Teeth – Zadie Smith
    169,441 – Half Blood Prince – JK Rowling
    169,481 – The Grapes of Wrath – John Steinback
    174,269 – Catch-22 – Joseph Heller
    177,227 – The Fellowship of the Ring – J. R. R. Tolkien
    177,679 – The Poisonwood Bible – Kingsolver, Barbara
    183,349 – Great Expectations – Charles Dickens
    183,833 – Little Women (Books 1&2) – Louisa May Alcott
    183,858 – Jane Eyre – Charlotte Brontë
    186,418 – Memoirs of a Geisha – Arthur Golden
    190,858 – Goblet of Fire – JK Rowling
    196,774 – The Corrections – Franzen, Jonathan
    197,517 – Stones from the River – Hegi, Ursula
    198,227 – Deathly Hallows – JK Rowling
    198,901 – A House for Mr. Biswas – V.S. Naipaul
    206,052 – Moby Dick – Herman Melville
    208,773 – Midnight’s Children – Salman Rushdie
    211,591 – Crime and Punishment – Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    216,020 – The Amazing Adventures of Kavelier and Clay – Chabon, Michael
    225,395 – East of Eden – John Steinbeck
    236,061 – A Prayer for Owen Meany – John Irving
    257,154 – Order of the Phoenix – JK Rowling
    260,742 – Cloudsplitter – Banks, Russell
    311,596 – The Fountainhead – Ayn Rand
    316,059 – Middlemarch – George Eliot
    349,736 – Anna Karenina – Leo Tolstoy
    364,153 – The Brothers Karamazov – Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    365,712 – Lonesome Dove – McMurtry, Larry
    418,053 – Gone with the Wind – Margaret Mitchell
    455,125 – The Lord of the Rings – J. R. R. Tolkien
    561,996 – Atlas Shrugged – Ayn Rand
    587,287 – War and Peace – Leo Tolstoy
    591,554 – A Suitable Boy – Vikram Seth

24. A.M.P.

If it's good, maybe an agent would be interested in splitting it into two parts?
    Or maybe you can.

I think part of the author-agent relationship is that the agent wants authors who understand the product they're creating from a commercial point of view.
    Because, if the author doesn't then odds are their writing reflects that.

jannert likes this.
  25. jannert

I added more to the post you quoted that you might find interesting.