Let's talk about movies

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CurtisDawson, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

With respect, I don't find a series that's basically how many different ways can you brutally torture and/or kill somebody all that fun. If I want glorified violence and psychotic mayhem, I'll load up Grand Theft Auto V or Saints Row 2 and go nuts there.

My Favorite Movies:
    -> The Star Wars franchise
    -> The Fly (with Jeff Goldbulm)
    -> The Lord of the Rings
    -> Under Siege
    -> Aliens
    -> Starship Troopers
    ->
    The Classical Disney Movies
    -> Airplane
    -> The Terminator Trilogy
    -> Jurassic Park. (The first two movies. The third. Did. Not. Happen.)

IOI643189 likes this.
  2. IOI643189

IOI643189 New Member

For me, its gotta be

Primer- low budget head frak. (Watched it at least 10 times - still dont really get it)
    Time crimes- beautifuly put together looper masterpiece
    Blade runner- first sci fi crush
    Dredd
    Serenity
    Battle beyond the stars
    Silent running
    Philadelphia experiment
    Countdown ??? Time travel war stuff
    Ice pirates
    Westworld

Oldies

One flew over the cuckoos nest - epic ! Book and movie
    Calamity jane- dont ask- but its always in my collection - first cowboy crush??
    Mr hollands opus
    Magnificent seven
    Westworld
    Hang em high
    Good bad ugly
    Kellys heroes
    Bridge too far
    The big red one
    Dirty harry

I have too many mood swings to say which of my collection is my favourite, if its sci fi or war...

I always go for a clint movie when bored, the only one he is missing from is The Gunslinger- but that movie remains in my head, (fan boy story hidden away)

Seriously, Primer- watch it and tell me if you get it?

Worst in my collection, bottom drawer stuff - real disapointments that got only one viewing...

Jupiter rising
    Starsky and hutch
    The day
    Alex cross
    Man of steel
    Slow west
    Beasts of the southern wild
    Monsters dark continent

3. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

I gotta ask the following: -

Which is better: Alien or Aliens?
    And, next question: Terminator or Terminator 2?

I think these two pretty much divide people down the middle. For me I think Alien is vastly superior to Aliens (although I like Aliens a lot) and I think Terminator 2 just edges Terminator (although it is essentially the same film with bigger explosions).

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

For me, it's a toss-up between Alien and Aliens. I probably prefer Aliens because it's a flat-out action movie. Alien is a horror thriller, and I don't really go for those.

I definitely prefer Terminator to Terminator 2. Watching that chrome skeleton rise out of the gasoline flames chilled me. This machine is unstoppable and nightmare scary! Terminator 2 was okay, but it looked to me like it was trying to make up with high-budget effects what it couldn't do with solid storytelling.

5. pyroglyphian

pyroglyphian Word Painter

Nice! That would be on my list too.

The Crow is one of my favourites.

Big fan of James Horner - it was the scoring of Braveheart and Titanic that made those films particularly moving.

6. Chinspinner

Titanic is essentially Terminator 2 on water. Just exchange Leonardo Dicrapio with Arnold Schwarzenegger; Kate Winslet with Edward Furlong and Billy Zane with Robert Patrick.... same movie.

7. minstrel

Sure. Liquid-metal Billy Zane desperately tries to marry kill have a relationship with little Eddie Furlong who instead falls in love with indestructible future assassin Arnold Schwarzunspellable who contains within himself the Big Evil Thing That Must Die so, despite that, he aids little Eddie and his mom (where is she in your analogy, anyway?) until poverty-stricken Leonardo Unspellable begs Kate Furlong's mom to lower him into the molten metal (feverish moneybags Billy Patrick?) so he can give a hopeful thumb's up gesture as he (who?) dies, thus foiling the Evil Plans of the Machines of the Future (Kathy Bates? Bill Paxton? Ancient Gloria Stuart?) and ultimately allowing little old Grandma Eddie to throw his her someone's precious expensive gemstone into the sink ocean kiddie pool because he she them has no further use for it because he she themselves can't masturbate any more anyway and has no descendants except for his her thems great granddaughter who might really like to inherit something that valuable. Plus William Shatner (I guess) as the iceberg and Christopher Walken as the explosions (okay, it took some makeup).

:D

8. Chinspinner

Obviously Kathy Bates is Linda Hamilton; and the iceberg is the nuclear war.

Zane/ Patrick pursue an essentially destructive relationship with Winslet/Furlong. Winslet/ Furlong are saved from imminent death/ suicide by Dicraprio/Schwarzenegger. Despite being very different they gradually forge a relationship against all the odds. Hamilton/ Bates helps protect our MCs from the looming threat of Zane/ Patrick. A lengthy chase scene ensues where Dicraprio/Schwarzenegger and Winslet/ Furlong desperately try to escape Zane/ Patrick. They make their escape, Winslet/ Furlong survives and DiCraprio/ Schwarzenegger tragically sinks in the depths of the ocean/ molton metal.

9. minstrel

The good guys defeat the bad guys! Every movie is just like Terminator 2! James Cameron invented storytelling and all of human culture!
    :p

10. Chinspinner

Interestingly they are both exactly the same movie as Avatar as well... oh wait, Avatar does not have a plot.

11. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Sure it does! :p It's basically ‘white guy learns the culture of the Natives and takes over as leader as he bands with them to fight against the guys who put him there in the first place!!’

*flees*

12. pyroglyphian

pyroglyphian Word Painter

Good observation, although Brad Fiedel doesn't come close - no disrespect to him.

13. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Alien.

/endofdiscussion

14. Tom Fitch

Tom Fitch New Member

I like to watch movies based on novels after having read the novel. Not the other way around.

Sometimes the movie adds to the novel. Other times it is a disappointment.

The Wright Stuff is an example of the movie being at least as good as the novel it is based on.

The Bonfire of the Vanities-movie however was a deep disappointment. Tom Hanks was a complete miscast in my opinion. How could they overlook Alec Baldwin for the part of Sherman? Beyond me.

Tom