1. Chewie

Chewie Member

Writing Attraction

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Chewie, Jun 24, 2015.

I have finished the first draft of my book and I am trying to build an attraction between my two main characters. For an advancing romance in the following novel. Romance is always been my weak point when I comes to writing. So was seeing if anyone had any tips.

2. Victoria Griffin

Victoria Griffin Member

There are two aspects to attraction, emotional and physical. Focus on what your MC finds attractive about the other person in those two areas. Write about their face and their body. Write about how they make your MC feel, the emotions they bring out in him/her. Try and reveal the attraction through the small things people do—leaning a little closer, touching their face, unconsciously imitating each other. Think about it in terms of symptoms. Don't try to describe attraction; describe the small things that result from or point to it.

Renee J, BookLover and GingerCoffee like this.
  3. EmptySoul

EmptySoul Active Member

Victoria has given you a solid framework to build on. The only other thing I will add is take it slowly. I personally despise books wherein characters become attracted to each other simply because the author wishes them too and, as a result, it happens with a speed that is completely unrealistic.

4. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Attraction can be really quite instant in real life, though.

What I find a bit harder to believe is insta-love. But even that can be believable to those who don't define or see love the way I do.

As for the OP, I suck at writing romance too, so I'm looking forward to reading others' replies :D.

5. EmptySoul

EmptySoul Active Member

I agree attraction can be instant in the real world, and will confess I was thinking of two authors in particular when I wrote my post.

6. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Only two? :D

I've read some awfully forced attempts at romance too. I usually notice what bugs me about it, but struggle to translate on paper what I feel "should" be there. :meh:

7. EmptySoul

EmptySoul Active Member

The fact it is only two is more a reflection of the genres I gravitate towards than how many abysmal examples there are. Yet to avoid derailing the thread, I think we can both agree that the key is to make it as realistic as possible even if it makes the writer's job a bit harder.

8. Chewie

Chewie Member

Thanks everyone I have written a few small things in like Victoria suggested. Just wasn't sure if that was enough. Cheers.

9. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

This is a good thread, as I think a lot of people struggle with this - I'll expand the question a little if you don't mind...anyone have tips on writing attraction from female vs. male POV?

In my case I have a female protagonist, but I find myself lapsing into her male love interest's POV when writing that subplot, because I can get his head-space a lot more accurately. But at some point I'm going to have to dive back into my actual main character's head. (I have them hating eachother at the beginning - which for him I'm flipping the switch from hate to unwanted sexual attraction rather suddenly because he's in a high-stress situation - which is really funny to watch from inside his head - but for her all I've managed to do is slowly warm her up to the idea that he's not such a horrible person - haven't flipped the switch yet.)

10. BookLover

BookLover Active Member

You could pull on your own experiences. What goes through your head when you're attracted to someone? How do you act?

I felt an instant attraction to someone over the weekend, and I tried my hardest not to let him catch me staring at him. I assumed it wouldn't be mutual. Then he sat next to me and started talking to me, and when I realized the attraction was mutual, that only upped my overall attraction level to him. I liked that he liked me, as stupid as that sounds.

Of course, a lot of it is going to come down to your characters' personalities. For instance, a shy character might act like me. Avoid eye contact. Assume the worst. Try to act uninterested. A more extroverted, confident character might act like the guy I met. Initiate conversation. Put himself out there. Take risks.

Once they both figure out it's mutual, they either get together or there has to be some sort of obstacle in the way to keep that romantic tension going. Think The Office. Geesh, how many seasons did they drag out that whole Pam and Jim thing? They were definitely attracted to each other though, and for some reason I found their relationship much more interesting before it was a relationship.

As for @Commandante Lemming 's dilemma, hate sex is a thing. ;) No reason the girl can't switch to sudden unwanted sexual attraction as well.

Or, if that's just not something you want to be an aspect of her personality, maybe have him do something specific that would make him suddenly seem attractive to her. Example: He sees a lost dog in the middle of traffic, pulls over, and goes out of his way to save it. I think most people feel attracted to people who show love to others. It can instantly change the way you see someone. Likewise, if someone you like kicks a puppy, that will also instantly change how you see them. :mad: Attraction can be destroyed pretty easily.

Commandante Lemming and dbesim like this.
  11. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

Haha - you could have just stopped there and finished with *BookLover drops mic*

Not her style but there are definitely some things I can manipulate. My "Nina" is the doe-eyed small-town girl in the big city and recently out of stable-but-boring relationship with a guy who dumped her because of her career ambition...and Aiden just dangerous enough to be interesting at the moment if she realizes he's not a total misogynist pig. So it can work.

BookLover likes this.
  12. drifter265

drifter265 Banned

I think the best kind of attraction or love is the kind that isn't forced but that you know is there. Like the iceberg theory: you're saying everything except the actual attraction but it's obvious because of everything that's happening around it.