1. ManhattanMss

ManhattanMss New Member

Sourcebooks

Discussion in 'Publisher Discussion' started by ManhattanMss, May 22, 2009.

Has anyone here had any experience with Sourcebooks--the publisher? From what little I can track down, they are a growing publisher with a number of imprints. What I can't find is whether this is a royalty, POD, subsidy, or vanity press, and I'd be interested to know if anyone here has some experience or insights to share. Thanks.

2. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Not that I'm the expert on this, but I looked it up, and they say they only take authors through agents. All the vanity publishers I've seen, and the ones that do POD etc, will take books directly from the authors. Regardless, unless you have an agent, might as well forget about them.

3. ManhattanMss

ManhattanMss New Member

Thanks, Rei. Yes, I've looked up what I can find on the net. And, aside from their own promotional stuff, there's very little I find of substance (and maybe that's a good thing). It seems funny I've never heard of them before, having spent a good deal of time working with writers--both published and hopeful--and even a handful of publishers. I'm actually not looking to publish a book myself, but for other professional reasons. I was just curious to find someone who knew more (or anything, for that matter) about them.

4. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Best people to ask on here would be maia and Terry.

5. ManhattanMss

ManhattanMss New Member

Thanks, Torana. I sent Maia a note (Mammamaia, I'm guessing). There are several "Terry"s and I don't know which one you mean (I'm pretty new).

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Terry is TWErwin. He is a very good resource.

7. ManhattanMss

ManhattanMss New Member

Oh, thanks, Cogito.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i replied to your pm... basically, i'd never heard of them... but they don't have a warning on p&e, so can't be too bad...

9. Beaumont Hardy

Beaumont Hardy New Member

Sourcebooks is good.

Hi. I used to work at a Chicago literary agency, and we knew the people at Sourcebooks very well. Dominique Raccah, the founder, is reputable and very professional. Hillel Black, the executive editor, has worked in publishing for ages and is very smart and capable.

It's a solid publishing house that works with good authors and publishes high-quality books.

Jane

10. ManhattanMss

ManhattanMss New Member

Thanks, Jane. I'm delighted to know this.