1. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

Lies, and More Lies...

Discussion in 'Word games' started by Snoopingaround, Sep 24, 2011.

Okay, this is the lying-truth finding game, where we examine a statement or description of something, and based on our own analysis, try to determine if what is presented to us is true or not true. We have to state our reasons along with our answers. You guys can obviously present your own interesting conundrums for others to solve. Also, it is okay to present situations where the answer is probably true or probably false, based on the evidence presented in the case. I was inspired to start this topic based on that scene in the film "Labyrinth", made in the 80's starring David Bowie and Jennifer Connelly. For those who have seen this film, I am referring to the two talking doors, where one door always lies and the other one always tells the truth, and you had to pick the right one or you would fall into some dark pit or something like that if I remember correctly.

Okay, to start off, I got one here for ya:

The captain of a sailing ship was telling this interesting story: "We traveled the sea far and wide. At one time, two of my sailors were standing on opposite sides of the ship. One was looking west and the other one east. And at the same time, they could see each other clearly." So, is this captain drunk on rum, or is there a situaton where this scenario can be possible?

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Seems to me the sailor standing on the east side of the ship is looking west, and thus back across the span of the ship and past his companion on the west side, who is looking east.

3. Anonym

Anonym New Member

Steerpike beat me to it but didn't post a truth/false thing, so I'll try.

Cool thread idea, I like it! Although I now feel the urge to employ the liar's paradox and stump everyone forever :p

The sailors are.... standing on opposite sides of the ship, but looking toward the opposite end of the ship relative to them, at each other - one technically looking west and one east? If that makes sense, I've never been much good at describing logistics. Basically what SP said. That, or he's drunk?

Okay here's one:
    "A man lives in a house with four walls, each with a window. He looks out the window of each wall, but no matter what window he looks through, he is always facing north."
    Possible or not?

4. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

Possible. The house is at the south pole. Then again, that's prime real-estate, I doubt just any dude could buy a house there.

Two men are playing tennis. Both men played 5 sets and each won 3 sets.

5. bobnr32

bobnr32 New Member

A woman joined them for a threesome?
    Good Friday fell on Boxing Day.

6. Cacian

Cacian Banned

true days got shorter and the credit crunch meant both celebrations joined forces to become one and save money.
    the Nazis Eva Brown is a made up name, we surely could not have a brown lady next to a nazi.:rolleyes:

7. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

Hmmm...since there is no assertion they are playing against each other, then they could be playing 5 set matches with other players on the court with each man winning 3 in their respective games.

8. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

Indeed. They were playing doubles.