1. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Roommates

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by adamant, Aug 11, 2007.

I'm about to be shipped off to college soon enough and was wondering if there were any things you've found to help ease the experience. Establishment of rules... and things like that. Living with strangers just seems ...strange, no?

2. Night Haunter

Night Haunter Banned

Well number one. be the first to move in. Number two. change the damned locks when you are the first to move in. number three. Stick a NO Vacancies sign on the doors. Then you've cracked it.

Other than that. Be not nervous and remember they are all in the same boat as you. Arguments could ensue down the line but basically everyone has pretty much the same idea and respect of private space. well those apart from the smelly ones.

3. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I am a bad room mate, I have sharing my room so yeah! I am not any help sorry!

4. pyrox91992

pyrox91992 New Member

lol i am a good roomate but its with my bro and u know, u can only take so much of an annoying brother, so idk how to help u, make sure u r really patient

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Well, you could move in first, and make the place look like a pig sty to discourage any potential roommate.

Except that would attract the roommate who likes it even messier than you were able to tolerate.

Or you could place everything in neatly ordered stacks, alphabetically order your books, and put numbers neatly on every visible item.

But then you'd end up ith a real OCD neat freak as a roomie.

Or you could eat something really nasty and flatulate all through the room. I won't even hazard a guess as to what you would end up with for a roommate then! Besides, you'd probably pass out and die before an hour was up.

Or you could be your most considerate and natural self. But since roommates are usually assigned by the school, it probably won't much matter anyway. Except, of course, for the inner satisfaction of being true to your own best nature.

6. Night Haunter

Night Haunter Banned

Sounds like one of my ideas lol

Isn't that always the case.

7. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Buy a lot of weapons. A lot of weapons.
    Get into the room at least an hour before your roommate.
    Hang the weapons throughout the room.
    Get a very sharp knife as well.
    Make a list of rules that you would like them to abide by.
    Using the sharp knife pin the rules to the wall directly opposite the door where it will be noticed.
    Smile very politely, and as you sharpen a sword, ask your roommate(s) if there are any questions.

Or you could avoid having the police, or administration called and just act normally.
    Just make sure you both have some basic ground rules laid out, like when do lights go out, when are parties allowable, and things like that.