1. love2listen

love2listen New Member

name changes in autobiography to prevent lawsuits and homocides

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by love2listen, Mar 11, 2009.

I'd like all the details, please.
    Bring em on.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Consult a literary attorney,

However, a name change wonb't suffice most of the time. If the character is identifiably taken from a real life person, you have to face the possibility of a lawsuit.

3. love2listen

love2listen New Member

I am writing about the time I spent at a club, and being in love with the club owner, who bent the club rules for me and is sexist towards lady DJs. I changed both the owners names, club names, staff names. I also dont specify where the club is, although its general location, in our "club district". Theme nights and night names will be changed. I do have elaborate detailed descriptions of the interior. Is that okay?

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Again, you should be talking to a literary attorney, not a bunch of strangers.

I don't doubt that those who know you or who frequent that club will recognize it, name changes or not.

Whenever you are dealing in real people or real businesses, you are in dangerous territory. It;s not a copyright issue, it's a question of exposure to defamation suits.

Consult a literary attorney. Have I mentioned that?

5. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

This is NOT a writing question. It is a LEGAL question. That's what Cog and others are trying to get people to understand. Just as you wouldn't go to a web site for lawyers to ask advice on plot development, why ask for legal advice in a writing website? I don't mean to be testy in my answer, but I have seen this kind of question a lot lately. Consult a literary attorney.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto that... ask a literary attorney, not members of a writing site!

that said, i can tell you that if anyone you write about can recognize themselves, or if anyone who knows them can, you risk being sued and losing all you own or ever will own, if they don't like what you wrote about them...