Lines that get you.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SHorgan

SHorgan New Member

"Spare the rod."
    V, V For Vendetta There are various others in the movie (Such as "Ideas of bulletproof") that get me, but this one was just so witty. :D

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Reminder: Unattributed quotes WILL be deleted.

3. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I can't remember any specific lines, but I loved the entire scene from Jane Eyre when Mr. Rochester asked her to marry him. :) One of my all-time favorite books!

4. SHorgan

SHorgan New Member

Is my quote considered unattributed because I didn't state the name of the director/script writer etc. ?

5. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

I felt like adding the whole book when looking for lines that touched me in 'The Little Prince' by Antoine de Saint Exupéry. But here's a few:

As The Little Prince discovers a whole garden full of roses, similar to his one rose:

When he meets the fox, later:

And finally return to the garden of roses:

I know it's sentimental but it gets me every time...

6. sidtvicious

sidtvicious Contributor Contributor

Inferno, office 752. Take a right turn at the wat
    "There is no God. And we are his prophets."
    Cormac McCarthy --The Road

7. Rimuel

Rimuel New Member

I wonder....perhaps in the azure blue sky.
    No one would know my quotes, but, w/e.

Everyone has their own little internal world--a secret garden only they can enter. Each world follows its own internal logic--individuality. And the logic of one world means nothing in another. Understanding other people isn’t hard, Neku. It’s impossible. - Yoshiya Kiryuu

But Neku... I thought you couldn’t afford to lose. Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world. - Yoshiya Kiryuu

Listen up, Phones! The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. - Mr. H

8. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

These two come from Neil Gaiman's Sandman comic series, both of which I have always loved - for different reasons - and continue to quote often enough.

Desire smiles in brief flashes, like sunlight glinting from a knife-edge. And there is much else that is knife-like about Desire. From Seasons of Mist, a moniker I have adopted elsewhere. :-D

Lady, I'm your worst nightmare - a pumpkin with a gun. From The Kindly Ones.

9. sidtvicious

I love merv.

10. Rimuel

Rimuel New Member

I wonder....perhaps in the azure blue sky.
    "If something is too good to be true, it usually is." :D I forgot who wrote this.

11. Sonic

Sonic New Member

"In Communisim, everyone is equal. Only some people are more 'equal' than others"
    I don't know who wrote it.

12. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

I'm not 100%, but I certainly know that Orwell paraphrased it in Animal Farm. It might have been Marx, but I'm not sure.

13. rory

rory Active Member

"I just want to be so much"
    It's a lyric from the song Saviour, by Lights

14. LadyLazarus

LadyLazarus New Member

"She has power, true, but it's hunger-magic, ****-magic. It has kept her alive in this land for so long, but for everything else she uses her sharp eyes and her mind, her height and her presence." - Neil Gaiman, American Gods.

"Yeah, and if wishes were horses we'd all be eatin' steak" - Jayne Cobb in an episode of Firefly - I don't recall which.

"Killing things is not so hard, it's hurting that's the hardest part." - Trout Heart Replica - Amanda Palmer.

"The longer I lay there in the clear hot water the purer I felt, and when I stepped out at last and wrapped myself in one of the big, soft, white, hotel bath towels I felt pure and sweet as a new baby." - Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar.

15. sidtvicious

That opening scene is still disturbing to me, and beautifully executed.

16. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

On the show "House, MD," after coming out of a blackout, Lisa is standing above Greg and he says, "I think my penis stopped breathing; Do you know CPR?"

My girlfriend said she doesn't. :(

17. Piestein

Piestein Active Member

Pardon me -- I replied here without reading the important, written in red big letters. Add to that my character, wanting people to guess where I saw what I wrote and voila -- my apologies are due.

Anyway, to the subject -- favorite lines:

"It's fun being me. Is it fun being you?" Denny Crane, Boston Legal.

I would probably remember more when I'm done posting, but for now, my memory is at a loss.

18. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane, Boston Legal

"You think that's enough? I'm Mr. Hyde! Show a little respect!" - Hyde, Jekyll

Incidentally, that line is screamed at a line of soldiers who have just pumped Hyde full of lead.

"He's had a helicopter lesson, hasn't he? Wait, he had a lesson - yeah, he did, I thought he did - I've got him sitting in a helicopter. No, it's a moped. No, it's a helicopter. Actually it could have been a horse. His attention really wandered, didn't it?" - Hyde, Jekyll

"People think that Hyde is Rage. Or Hate. Or Greed. Or Lust. But Hyde is far worse. It's our oldest, deadliest impulse, the need to protect our own at the expense of any other living thing... and we give that impulse such a nice name. Hyde... is Love. And Love is a psychopath." - Tom's Mother, Jekyll

19. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

One of my favorites has to be Socrates: "As for me, all I know is that I know nothing. "

And as for everything else, there are snippets that make my mind think all the time. Most all my music has a line in it that I adore, hence, the reason I listen to it.

I've already quoted TWT, but here's this song:

"Silence, I can't begin to tell you, how much I've come to miss you. Where have the people chained you, and left you for death?

Patience, I can't begin to tell you, how much I've come to miss you. Where have the people chained you, and left you for death?

Kindness, I can't begin to tell you, how much I've come to miss you. Where have the people chained you, and left you to die alone?"

-The Working Title, "Might as Well"

I could go on and on, but that is my point. :)

20. LadyLazarus

LadyLazarus New Member

"Here in cyber space there's no disease." -- Do you wanna date my Avatar - The Guild.

21. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

I have a favorite from the Michael Mann film, Heat. When Al Pacino and Robert De Niro are having coffee, DeNiro's character says,

"Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner." DeNiro

I have long loved that line and its relevance to the movie as a whole.

22. breakingwave

breakingwave New Member

Piestein:
    Your line made me miss one of my favorite shows, I loved Denny Crane and that whole crazy bunch.

23. Shaz

Shaz New Member

I don't know why, but I always remember this scene from A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin, when Jaime tries to kill Bran:

The man looked over at the woman. 'The things I do for love,' he said with loathing. He gave Bran a shove.

An example of really destructive love.

24. Sielas

Sielas New Member

Aragorn: Take some rest. These borders are well protected.

Boromir: I will find no rest here. I heard her voice inside my head. She spoke of my father and the fall of Gondor. She said to me, even now, there is hope left, but I cannot see it. It is long since we had any hope. My father is a noble man, but his rule is failing, and our people lose faith. He looks to me to make things right and I would do it. I would see the glory of Gondor restored. Have you ever seen it, Aragorn? The White Tower of Ecthelion, glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, its banners caught high in the morning breeze. Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?

Aragorn: I have seen the White City, long ago.

Boromir: One day, our paths will lead us there and the tower guard will take up the call: The Lords of Gondor have returned.

Great lines. Really show how much of a hero Boromir is trying to be and how he secretely looks up to Aragorn.

J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.

25. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I've seen quite a bit of Tolkien's work here. I have to agree; I was going to post some of my own favourites from his LotR trilogy, but we musnt go quoting the whole book. :p

There's something about it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.