1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Link's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Link the Writer, Nov 21, 2014.

OK, so I've decided that I may have spent the last ten years talking about writing rather than actually doing it, and after reading threads about getting started, I decided to...get started on it. I'll give myself a deadline of November 17, 2015 to finish a rough draft of one of the three following stories I'm most anxious to write about:

(1) A historical mystery set in some point in American history.

(2) A fantasy story that's basically a blend of the Russian Revolution and World War II.

(3) A sci-fi set in space about a captain, her crew, and a peculiar destiny that awaits them.

My goal is that one of them will be finished by the affixed date. As I'm new to the whole discipline thing, I'll do 100 words a day at least. A part of me wants to alternate between each to keep them all going like one day I'd do the historical fiction, the next day fantasy and so on. :p Let's see how this goes! :write:

Lemex, GingerCoffee and minstrel like this.
  2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

The Russian Revolution and World War II are separated by decades. Time travel?

Link the Writer likes this.
  3. Link the Writer

More or less I just thought, "Russian Revolution if it broke out during World War II, ready? GO!" :p But seriously, it's basically about an empire that starts out as a revolution but then pretty much turns into a world war.

UPDATE:
    I'm 77 words into my historical fiction; love the interaction between my main character and the person he was assisting, seems they get along great. :D I'm also discovering that it's perfectly fine writing the ending first. Kind of sad that right when I discover they have a friendship, it's the part of the book where they inevitably must part. Ah well, it's for the best. Would've been too out of character for the other character to say, "Wait, let me drop what I'm doing and join you just to satisfy the whims of our author!" :p In any case, very glad to notice this.

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I find it hard to believe you've been here since 2009 without actually writing, but taking you at your word, no matter, you've found the magic. You've started!

I've always thought about writing, mostly thinking my life experiences were worth writing. But I never kept a journal and I doubt anyone I wrote detailed letters to kept them. But that world experience is still there, just under the surface. Then 3 years ago my duology just spilled out of my head, and I lucked out meeting a mentor in my writer's critique group. And my very talented son liked what I've written and brainstorms with me over dinner on a regular basis.

Now you are there too. Go for it. :D

5. Link the Writer

As of now, I'm 140 words into my fantasy. I had an urge to edit what I wrote thus far (basically it's a 'remember when...' scene), but decided to make a note of it to return to later. Onwards!!

I'm kind of kicking myself for giving away bit of the ending for my historical mystery. Ah well, it's the first draft, it'll probably change as I go along.

6. Link the Writer

Woo! My historical fiction word count jumped from a measly 77 words to 466 words! :D Not bad, not bad. Maybe I'll hit the 1K mark by next Sunday? ;)

Lemex likes this.
  7. Swiveltaffy

Swiveltaffy Contributing Member Contributor

This is exciting! (I know, pretty damn dumb to just say that) But "Onward!!" is good.

8. Link the Writer

734 words down. 266 words to go before I hit the 1,000-word mark.

EDIT: 910 words now.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    Lemex likes this.
  9. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Ace cakes, dude! How are you feeling when you actually write, does it feel good?

I ask because to be honest my current novel WIP is the first time I've attempted a long project such as this and felt completely comfortable with it.

10. Link the Writer

Feels pretty good. Not only do I feel lighter and much happier once I've got it all on paper, but I learn new things about my characters that I otherwise wouldn't have thought about. Sometimes the new information comes spontaneously in my head, or due to a typo that I catch and decide that it will actually fit in with one of my characters.

I've now hit 1,012 words.

Lemex likes this.
  11. Link the Writer

Hit 269 words on my fantasy story and 186 words on my sci-fi. :D

I think with these two stories, the sci-fi's going to be interesting because I honestly have no idea about any of the science or how any of it's supposed to work. I just sort of made a space setting, created a few alien races and ran with it.

Well, in actuality, I'm working on two fantasy stories, the second one at 191 words has a British protagonist. Since many of my characters were either from fictional worlds or were Americans, I thought I'd challenge myself by writing a British protagonist. Overall I like his character.

Swiveltaffy likes this.
  12. Link the Writer

Minor setback on one of my fantasy stories. Turns out the plot I had going wasn't working as well as I had thought. Decided to examine one of my characters a little bit closer and lo and behold, I'm finding this character's story a lot more interesting than the other one. Also, I blame Legend of Korra for giving me an idea for a new character. :p The new character is a tough, strict woman of an official authority who acts as the main character's boss.

As for my sci-fi, do I really need to worry, at this stage, that my protagonists (who are supposed to be members of a galactic naval fleet) seem perfectly okay with allowing a teenaged alien (who is not part of the fleet) to come with them onboard the ship just because he (a) knows how to defend himself and (b) knows certain things that are important to the plot? I mean, if a real-world naval ship tried this, everyone onboard would be court martialed. ...Yeah, probably should just pull a MST3K on myself and just go with it. :D

My historical mystery, however, seems to be having an identity crisis as it wants to flip back and forth between 18th and 19th-century America. I suppose a proper solution for this is to just write the same plot in the two different settings and see which one I like the best.

ONWARDS!

EDIT II:

OK, so I've basically taken my historical mystery plot and planted it in three separate centuries: 1700s/1800s/1900s to see which one would fit the best. I'm now 100 words into the 1900s version.

Hey, sometimes you have to do what you have to do. :p I've learned a new lesson today: if you have a concrete plot, but alternate settings, write them all at the same time and see which one fascinates you the best.

EDIT III:

384 words into my 1900s-version Historical Mystery! :D

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  13. Swiveltaffy

Swiveltaffy Contributing Member Contributor

You've become a killer!

14. Link the Writer

I have to say, the whole 'split the plot into three different settings' is working out beautifully. :) I actually feel like I have a direction now, and it's interesting to see how the same plot is morphing into three different versions for each respective setting. I don't have the conflict of 'which period do I write in?' anymore. Very exciting.

15. Lemex

I think it would be amazingly interesting if you could spin the mystery story into a code that is uncracked by three different people across three different times. :)

16. Link the Writer

Hmm...interesting. :D Very interesting. Hadn't thought of that, Lemex.

17. Lemex

Well, if you don't want it ... DIBS! :D

18. Link the Writer

You can write the idea if you'd like, Lemex. I'd love to read it. :D

EDIT: Did I mention I had yet another historical mystery I was writing? I didn't? Well, this one is set in Tudor England and I'm 505 words in. :D

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
    Lemex likes this.
  19. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Contributing Member Reviewer

Second to the right, and straight on till morning.
    That sounds like a lot of work to do for it to work well.

20. Link the Writer

456 words into my fantasy. I'm toying with a little concept that might help explain why my main character is able to do certain things. Not sure if it'll be corny or not, but it's worth experimenting with. :D

Lemex likes this.
  21. Link the Writer

Now 760 words. I know it's been a month, but other things in my life cropped up and the version I was writing felt like a horrendous train wreck. Things have now settled down in my personal life.

...I'm not doing a good job on this progress journal, am I?

Lemex, no offense, but that character Lemex you'd said I could use kinda sorta hijacked my fantasy story. :D So there was a bit of a struggle trying to figure out what to do with him so my actual main character could have her story back. :p He's still in it, but I've made sure he doesn't take over my story again. Funny how that happened, random characters you weren't planning on taking over your story just...up and does so anyway.

22. Lemex

Haha, I'd just let Lemex run wild, he's clearly a good character there. :D Not that I'm biased or anything, but I'm imagining him as this handsome British guy who tragically has to wear glasses because he was blinded in one eye since birth. ;)

23. Link the Writer

Oh now I have an image of him smoking a factory made cigar as he looks over at the industrial factories being constructed in his area. :D And funny enough, I do imagine them all speaking with Anglo-French accents (well, the humans, anyway.)

I'm torn between having him be a fully-grown man or a young teen (to make fun of the fact that most fantasy novels often have teenaged protagonists.) :p

With that, I'm off to write his introductory scene.

24. Lemex

Je parle Francies, et j'habbite la Anglez! Oui, oui! Mon dieu! :p

Mind, I like the idea of a 'Lemex' character in some sort of Steampunk wasteland setting - now I feel a mythology developing, ah-la BioShock Infinite. :D If I'd suggest anything I'd say go older - but that's just me being silly. :p

25. Link the Writer

Well I was trying to avoid the typical 'Medieval Europe with magic and fantasy race' setting that most fantasy stories have. :p

Lemex likes this.