List of Cliches

Discussion in 'Word games' started by Link the Writer, Feb 20, 2011.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArtWander

ArtWander New Member

(Assuming the post before be counts as (184 and (185...)

Here's some 'bro' movie cliches:

186) The main character is always madly in love with a girl that shows nothing for disdain and disgust for him, usually due to how he looks/acts.

187) The love interest will think of the MC as a 'freak' or 'loser' until they have one, solitary conversation and then she is suddenly ridiculously interested in him.

188) You WILL see this woman topless by the end of the movie.

189) The MC will have a best friend that is with him at all times, and will always be used as a 'comedic relief' character.

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

190. In romantic comedies, the guy is always, physically, a hapless schlub. If they show a guy who's in great shape with six-pack abs, he's the shallow, mean, asshole guy who makes the MC's life miserable, until the female MC realizes that the superstud guy is a ****head and she doesn't want to spend time with him. Where are the great-looking, fit, athletic guys who are also deeply caring and are wonderful? The handsome athlete is always the jerk, and the out-of-shape fatass is always the hero.

3. Mister Cheech

Mister Cheech New Member

To be fair, ripped dudes with six-packs tend to be assholes irl.

4. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Well, if it's of any comfort, this thin fella is writing a mystery series about the ripped athletic guy who is also very compassionte and caring.

191) In a story about a boy and an exotic animal, it will almost always end in the same form as if it were a story about a boy and his dog.

5. Archnenna

Archnenna Active Member

192) When the hero and villain fight and hero gets hurt - which gives the villain the advantage - the villain will never kill the him. He'll just talk some stupidities or tell all his plans and will always get distracted by hero's sidekick. That will, of course, allow the hero to put him in jail as he somehow videotaped the whole conversation and him admitting all his crimes.

193) Even if they're not minors anymore, people still need to ask permission from their parents to do things :rolleyes:

6. Link the Writer

^ That actually does happen, #193. Either because the parents make them do it or the person just isn't used to not asking the parents for permission.

#194- The villain's on the ledge and is a foot-on-fingers away from plunging to his doom. He has no fears, because the hero will take a change of heart and help the villain back up. This meets with disaster for the hero.

#195- The hero is down and out for the count. It looks like he/she is about to be beaten when suddenly one of these things happen:
    #1- The villain breaks the hero's locket that's been keeping their powers in check.
    #2- The hero just gets PO'd and uses the last reserves of their strengths to beat the crap out of villain.
    #3- A loved one screams out their name.
    #4- The hero is granted a vision of someone (a loved one or a murdered friend) imploring them to not give up.
    #5- Some little kid implores them to get up.
    #6- The villain says something that reminds the hero of why he/she is fighting.

7. Writing in the Mist

Writing in the Mist New Member

197) This one drives me up a wall. The local police force are always either bumbling idiots, or never believe the protagonist, see what's really happening, and react to it on time.

198) In horror movies cops don't exist or have terrible response times.

8. Link the Writer

199) Ghosts are almost always British or Americans.

200) Indian ghosts? Only if you had built your house over an indian burial ground. That indian you unleash is not a happy one indeed.

9. ScaryMonster

ScaryMonster Active Member

In police stations there's always a vending machine of some sort which is always broken or steals to good guy cops coins.
    The cop always strikes or kicks the machine.

10. Archnenna

Archnenna Active Member

203) Whenever there's a witch, she can't use her powers to help herself, but others. No personal gain in any way. If I had powers and those rules, I wouldn't even want powers.

204) If there are people with powers and people without them, those without them will always want to lock up the powered ones with an excuse that they're protecting their 'normal' kind. In fact they're just jealous (my opinion).

11. Link the Writer

205) Like the above, the powered ones have to hide their power or else the non-powered people will come after them. If they befriend a child, the child will quickly turn against them, even when the powerful friend uses his/her powers to protect them from incoming harm. Bonus if the kid has relatives in the higher-ups, then he/she will report them. If I had special powers and I were in a situation like the X-men, I'd let the kid get smeared.

206) People with powers use it for only two things: Destroy or protect the people that discriminate against them. The ones who protect will never have any thought of "What if I just let someone died today? On my watch? A hero doesn't have to always be a knight in shining armor 24/7." and the ones who do not protect will never have any thought of "What if, instead of frying that little brat as I've done other people, I subtley shield her from harm? After all, a villian can be kind once in a blue moon."

207) In a movie set in London about foreigners, this shall happen: They walk up to a Royal Guard standing in front of Buckingham Palace. One will say, "Dude, they're like statues. They're not supposed to react, so you can do anything you want." Then they'll proceed to make faces at the guard, make passive-aggressive comments at the guard, even touch him. The guard will then respond by slamming the rifle butt into the guy's leg or privates depending on where it is at the time. (Of course, I did watch one video where a guard actually broke rank, marched over and seized someone who was mocking him. This actually happened in real life, btw.)

12. Archnenna

Archnenna Active Member

208) In the movie/series with powered people, if someone who has powers has a best friend without powers, the friend is never jealous. I mean, come one. It's not a crime to be at least tiny bit jealous and I would as sure as hell be if my friend had powers and I didn't.

209) If it's a case of a superhero, the whole world would like him, except for his family and the press, who would think of him as of a criminal.

210) If someone with superpowers runs away to his family to hide from the government that wants to capture him, his younger sibling will report him (probably out of jealousy). Have you watched the second X-men movie? If yes, you'll know what I'm talking about.

211) A teenage mind reader would never think of reading other students' minds during a test at school. Yeah, right.

212) Teens in movies, when accused of something wrong, never defend themselves, even when it's not even their fault.

213) And if those above have the power of persuasion, they'd never even think of making their parents not ground them or teachers not send them to detention. They will just try to make them 'go easy on them', but will not actually succeed.

214) Whenever someone on TV has superpowers, there are always rules to follow to use them wisely. If I had powers, I wouldn't want any rules. They're my property, nobody else's, so no one would be able to tell me what to do with them.

215) Movie with superpowered people - the whole world is against them, but they still end up saving it. If I was them, I'd only save myself. If they hate me, they don't need my help.

216) If someone wakes up with superpowers, they never think of having fun with them at school or work or something. They instantly decide to save the world, even though it doesn't need to be saved.

13. Bay K.

Bay K. New Member

(217) You open to Chapter 1 and there are always words! Anyone ever think of leaving Chapter 1 completely blank?! Or just with ---- (Watch readers trying to find out what the heck is going on in Chapter 2)

14. Link the Writer

(218) If the protag is a young prince(ss), then their older sibling is evil and corrupted.

15. Bay K.

Bay K. New Member

(219) It's always ONCE upon a time. Can't it be twice, or thrice, upon a time? Can't two or three things happen at 'once' ? LOL!
    (220) The bad guy gets the good guy and has a clear chance of killing him, but doesn't. And is of course eliminated by the good guy at the end

16. K.S.A.

K.S.A. Member

(220) Why are the male leads always Tall, dark & handsome? Why can't they be of average height, street smart, with a few freckles thrown in?

17. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

(222) If the guy is a supernatural being of some sort, then the female love interest will forgive any wrong doing on his part. Including, but not limited to, murder.

(223) The bad guy will be so amazingly transparent at the beginning, or the arrest of the wrong person will be horrendously convenient (IE, there just happens to be a "typed" letter of confession, or some other ridiculously questionable piece of evidence). And yet the cop who arrests the wrong guy will be surprised by the end of the episode. (Walker: Texas Ranger, Highlander: The Raven

(224) A guy can kill several people in the same city over the course of a year, and even though the police suspect him, they will never be able to catch him. (Highlander is the biggest offender here.)

18. Link the Writer

(225) If the story is about a dog or a horse, then everyone excluding the child protagonist and at least one parent wants that poor doggie/horse dead or otherwise exiled from the premisise somehow.

(226) Evil is black, ugly, and unattractive whole good is pretty, nice, and generally very hot.

(227) The evil overlord is usually a male. Can't a woman be evil for once?

19. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

228) Swords and armor never suffer damage or need maintanence, even after a hundred battles.

229) After using a sword, the hero or villain never wipes the blade off and simply sheaths it. (Anyone that knows about swords, realizes that is just asking for the sword to rust)

230) Why do heroes always insist on using a sword? There are axes and spears as well.

20. Link the Writer

(231) In movies about dogs, the pound is the canine version of Nazi Germany/Stalinistic Russia. The poor mutt is taken and jailed for the horrific crime of being lost and the pound owners don't give a flying <expletive> about the dog, even laughing at the prospect of killing the dog despite the waiting period.

(232) Mental hospitals are evil. If you're mentally ill, you'll be treated like a prisoner from the Medieval period (Like you'll be tortured, forced to wallow in your own urine and feces, sleep on an uncomfortable cot, etc). As an added bonus, the hospital is haunted by the tormented souls of former patients.

21. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

I had to search to see if this one was done yet, but:

(234) The MC who previously worked for the military metaphor will change sides when he falls in love with a woman from the Native American metaphor.

22. LucifersAngel

LucifersAngel New Member

have these been done yet?
    (235) the old Romeo and Juliette story about lovers not allowed to be lovers. Seriously this has been milked forever, even in Disney. Lion King 2 for example.

(236) The Christmas Carol. My god they have milked and milked and milked it some more.

(237)The people who hate each other spend time together and suddenly fall madly in love. I mean come on? You hated him/her now you can't live without them? geesh. This also happens with mortal enemies.

23. Link the Writer

Not sure if this had been done before either...

(238) Have a movie set in Great Britain and want to pull some heartstrings? Have a chronically ill, orphaned kid (bonus if he's disabled in some way, usually crippled). Even better, make him a protagonist and have everyone hate his guts. (Oh, and the setting has to be around London in the grips of the Industrial Revolution.)

24. Drusilla

Drusilla Active Member

239: In real life, most crimes are committed without any warnings and threats. In movies, the villain is always threatening the main character before the violence comes true.

240: There is always the dark haired man and the blonde woman. Not the other way around.

241: Villains are usually male.

242: The middle aged (or old) male villain is often sexually attracted to the 20 years (or more) younger heroine.

243: There's always the black man and the white woman. Not the other way around.

244: There's always the white man and the asian woman. Not the other way around.

245: We never see black men and asian women or asian men and black women.

246: In fantasy novels, there is almost always an old (normally male) character who acts like some kind of advisor to the hero.

247: Men are always more educated, with better salaries than women.

248: In almost all scifi movies/shows, there are sexily-dressed women with supermodel faces and bodies.

25. Link the Writer

(249) Despite a sci-fi setting being set centuries into the future, you'll still see blacks, hispanics, and Asians being discriminated against.

(250) Some sci-fi episodes that deal with human versus alien cultures go down the same pattern.

#1- Alien culture has a belief that is totally against human culture. For example, let's say they believed that disabled kin must be shunned and exiled to remote areas far away from civilization. For the sake of this example, let's assume that an alien father (who is a really important guy, like a general or ambassador) is beamed into the human ship with his blind daughter with the expressed intention of carrying this out.

#2-Alien father speaks of this culture to a human who asks what he and his daughter are going to do. Human gets angry and talks about this with friends. Friends immediately agree that this is cruel and barbaric. They never say, "Uh, that's part of their culture and we shouldn't intrude..."

#3- Sympathetic friends speak out against this to the captain. Captain most likely says, "We must respect their culture, even if we don't agree with it." and is of no help. (Usually its because he's presently trying to keep his ship from falling apart in the sub-plot that's playing along with this plot.) Sympathetic friends ignore the captain's advices and make excuses like, "But WE don't dump our blind children in the middle of a desert because they might be a burden to us. We care for them! Help them! We're humans. We're 100% right and these nasty, dirty, barbaric aliens are wrong!"

#3.5- If there are any other alien species on the ship, they do not have a say. Neither the humans nor the alien father consult them for advice.

#4- If the sympathetic friends are that desperate, they'll kidnap daughter and hide her from her own father. Why? Because her father is the bad guy here. We do not see how he really feels about this, and if we do, he's totally into the culture thing and he's totally not concerned that his daughter is MIA at the moment. We do see the daughter's POV. In most cases, she's totally against this, totally agrees with her kidnappers, doesn't want to die. Hell, she probably even breaks down into tears and is rocked gently by one of the female human friends to show how very, very evil her father is for following his culture. Very rarely do you see the intended sacrificee of said culture having resigned to his/her fate or...just not give a <beep> about what anyone thinks.

#5- Eventually a compromise is hammered out and everyone is happy. The captain was right all along, the daughter does get exiled, but she's not out in the wilderness to die so it makes both the sympathetic humans and father happy. In no way is anyone upset that by kidnapping the daughter, the sympathetic humans could've sparked a war or at the very least, make this ambassador reluctant to deal with humans as they've proven that they'll uproot a way of life if it didn't suit their taste.

#6- A few episodes later, it happens again in another set of circumstances!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.