1. lavendercloud

lavendercloud New Member

List of Writing Books: My Self-Education

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by lavendercloud, Aug 7, 2009.

I love checking out library books about writing. It certainly complements my college education, and I usually fill my summers with reading. Of course, I try to balance this writing-book addiction with other kinds of non-fiction as well as a healthy dose of fiction, and sometimes a smattering of poetry. Here's what I'm in the middle of right now:

Reading Like a Writer, by Francine Prose - I'm slowly falling in love with this book. The only way I can convince myself not to reread each paragraph multiple times is by reminding myself that once I finish it, I can always go back to the beginning.

The Writing Life, by Annie Dillard - Beautiful essays that make for easy and elegant reading.

A Novel in a Year, by Louise Doughty - Fun, light, encouraging reading with some interesting writing exercises.

The Best American Short Stories 2000 - Pure fiction that's teaching me a lot, especially coupled with Prose's book. I wanted to get the Best American Short Stories of the Century from the library, but it was pretty hefty and I didn't think I'd get through it all, so I settled for this - and I love it!

I also picked up Writer's Digest's Novel Writing issue today, which has some helpful and entertaining articles.

What are you reading to spur your writing along?

2. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

I'm not--too busy with other reading right now. You really should read Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird. She's like a very maternal, compassionate creative writing professor. Perfect.

3. lavendercloud

lavendercloud New Member

I just looked at that at the bookstore yesterday and determined to get it from the library. It looks quite promising!

4. arron89

arron89 Banned

I don't read writing books as such...I looked at a few once and the two I happened to grab had contradictory bits of information so I decided that wasn't right for me (one of them promised to teach how to write a "modern" novel, but the advice was already out-dated and sounded flat out wrong in the first place...)
    Instead, and I feel like a bit of a dick for admitting it, I read critically acclaimed fiction. I figure that if someone who reads for a living says there's something of value here, I should take a look and work out what it is.
    Especially prize winners, and especially if the judges are writers themselves. That way you're kinda guaranteed to find something interesting/original/inspiring.
    And it means your book-buying money is rarely wasted :D

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I don't have much faith in How-to books about writing, other than standard references like The Elements of Style by Strunk and White, The Little, Brown Handbook for Writers, The Chicago Manual of Style, and a pile of dictionaries and such.

I don't just read fiction, though. I dissect it. I analyze why I like or dislike a particular novel, or part of a novel, especially if that's not my usual reacrion to that writer's work. I've learned far more from that than from the How-to books.

And yes, I have read a few How-to books. In every case, I've seen plenty of that author's personal biases mixed in with solid advice. Many aspects of writing are highly individualized, and it;s important to know when "This is what you should do" only really means "This is what I do" or even "This is what I think I should do, although I find a hard time sticking to it."

6. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Elmore Leonard's Ten Rules of Writing. This small book is more about increasing the flow of the story than anything else and is just a great read.

7. Aidura

Aidura New Member

I've read a part of "How Not To Write a Novel" by Howard Mittlemark and Sandra Newman. It was pretty funny and spot on. But I'd rather use the money to buy a storybook than that because it was wayyyy to expensive for a self-help book. It's more of the type of books that you'd borrow than buy.

8. tourniquet

tourniquet New Member

I've read a couple useless 'how to' books but a good one (and a classic) is Aspects of the Novel by E.M.Forster. It's a fun reading with some cool perspectives.