1. SplashPlane

SplashPlane New Member

Listening to Movie/TV Sountracks while writing?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SplashPlane, Feb 11, 2012.

Hey all!

I was wondering if any of you ever listen to soundtracks while you write, or if you just like movie soundtracks in general. I'm talking about original soundtracks.. with instrumental music (Film scores) made specifically for a particular movie/show. Composers like Hans Zimmer, Joe Hisaishi, John Williams, Thomas Newman, Howard Shore, etc. Think of any favorites that you'd like to recommend? Post here!

2. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

I love to listen to music while I write, not neccessarily soundtracks but always some form of music. The song I listen to changes depending on what I'm writing.
    "Fairy Tail [Original Soundtrack vol.1]" is a good one for any build up/ fight/ hopeful scene.

What songs do you use?

3. JPGriffin

JPGriffin New Member

I don't usually have a specific song that I listen to, but I enjoy a little instrumental jazz for the calmer parts, and the faster, more exciting tempos and sounds of "Electronica and Dance," as iTunes is describing it. Sort of fast-paced, auto-tuned instruments in what usually sounds like a soundtrack to some lively anime fight sequence. Although I can't emphasize my discomfort when I'm typing and the lyrics slip their way into the writing. Sort of why I avoid soundtracks, and many genres un general, when writing.

4. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I listen to the POTC soundtrack, the LOTR soundtrack, the Resident Evil soundtrack, and some of the new stuff for the Hunger Games soundtrack (the instrumental stuff). I also really like "Requiem for a Dream" theme song, but as far as I know it's just that one song; I'm not familiar with the soundtrack in its entirety.

I also listen to non-soundtrack music when I write: Evanescence, Godsmack, Guns n Roses, old-school Linkin Park (the kind that was popular when I was in middle school; their softer new music is not my cup of tea); Lacuna Coil, Three Days Grace, etc.

5. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

Last night I wrote a short story while listening to the soundtrack of the musical Taboo (the London, rather than Broadway, version). Usually I listen to ballads, so it was a nice change of pace.

I don't listen to movie/TV soundtracks with the exception of intro/tie-in songs - but that is more to do with the fact that my favourite band releases 3~4 singles a year and almost all of them (plus some of the B-sides) will be recorded specifically for a TV show or advert. :rolleyes:

6. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Hi SplashPlane,

I enjoy many different types of instrumental OSTs. Hans Zimmer is one of my very favorites, and I have many different songs from many different movies by him. In addition, I also tend to listen to OSTs from video games and the likes.

If you like instrumental music, I suggest you look up X-Ray Dog, Two Steps From Hell, or ES Posthumus.

7. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I make my own soundtracks to the stories I'm writing. Songs that has inspired the idea for it or that has helped me along the way, or even that just fits the mood or with lyrics that goes with the plot. For one of my stories I even have some songs that Would be perfect for some of the scenes in the future movie based on my novel :D (of course they would ask for my opinion :) )

8. Mr. Bergstrom

Mr. Bergstrom New Member

I like to listen to The American Beauty soundtrack whilst walking my dogs, very inspiring!

My favourite song from a soundtrack has to be the main theme for Cast Away by Alan Silvestri. I just think it's so powerful and moving!

9. cold grave

cold grave Member

The Elder Scrolls -- Skyrim
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Check them out on iTunes