1. thedrunkenwarrior

thedrunkenwarrior New Member

Literal Images

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by thedrunkenwarrior, Nov 21, 2016.

I wasn't sure where to post this one, but I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong.

I'm reading the Straw Men by Michael Marshall, and giggling to myself about certain imagery that is conjured up during certain lines.

These lines are his surprise about his parent's actions that are, to him, out of character:

1. "My eyebrows crawled slowly up my head in bemused embarrassment, as I tried to get my head around the idea that it might be my father operating the camera."

And

2. "By this stage my eyebrows were raised so high they were hovering over my head."

Of course, I'm picturing two hairy caterpillars that have now moved from his brow to the top of his head, and they are spinning into a daze.

Anyone else read any one-liner gems that confuse and amuse when taken literally?

cydney and Peper Shaker like this.
  2. cydney

cydney Banned

I do! I don't mean too but it's fun to do sometimes. Almost everything I do is random - & then I go back & look what I did I die laughing. It pays to have a sense of humor sometimes. Especially with yourself! I like your examples, btw, they made me smile & I was at the friggin' dentist's office. The bastard! lol ;)

3. cydney

cydney Banned

Hey have you read the poem about straw men. It's an awesome poem. I'll see if I can find it. I'm in just the right mood!

4. cydney

cydney Banned

oops it's the hollow men by T.S. Eliot but it's about having your head full of straw. :) I can relate!

https://allpoetry.com/The-Hollow-Men

thedrunkenwarrior likes this.