1. mastermx

mastermx New Member

Querying for a Screenplay

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by mastermx, Jun 15, 2010.

Hi guys,

I'm new here, but after a while of lurking I thought I could get some advice from my fellow writers. Whilst I have seen plenty of posts websites address the issue of getting a Literary Agent. I have seen very few that cater advice to those who aspire to be screenwriters. Most Agencies these days accept a 3 chapter sample from a novel a synopsis and a query letter. But what does one do when sending query letters regarding a feature length screenplay.

Looking at the directories I have noticed that very few agents clarify whether they represent screenwriters or not. Instead of going on a tangent I'm gonna sum my post into a few simple questions, that I would be extremely grateful if you could give me some help with.

1. How can I tell which agents accept submissions regarding screenplays?

2. What should I send with my submission? This is currently the most important question for me. This is because currently I am only sending query letters (Well actually I've sent only two so far) with a SSAE. Is a preliminary letter with SSAE enough? Should I be sending more?

3. Lastly this question is rather trivial and is not as important as the others. But generally how long should I wait for a response? And how many simultaneous submissions can I send out at once?

Again I would be very grateful if you guys can help me with these three questions. I'm sorry if they have been asked or answered before but I used the search function and couldn't find anything, Google wasn't very helpful either as every site i found contradicts the next. I just wanted to know what is the standard procedure in the industry.

Thank you in advance.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

by checking their listings... you can email me for several good agent listing sites...

i can't tell if it's enough without seeing your query... for screenplays, you must include a logline, which would appear at the opening of your query letter... and, if an agent's submission guidelines specify it, a standard one-page synopsis... for most agents a good query is all they want for starters...

i usually say to wait a month more than their guidelines say they take to respond...

first, get your terminology straight... a 'query' is a query letter only and a 'submission' is actually sending them the script... you never send the script till it's been requested... and if the agent says they want an exclusive submission [which most will], then you can not submit the script to other agents [= 'simultaneous submission'] till the first one has told you they aren't interested in representing it...

i mentor many aspiring screenwriters, so if you want help with anything to do with writing screenplays, or submitting scripts, just drop me a line anytime... i can also send you a format guide and tips from the pros on all aspects of the craft, including how to write good queries and loglines...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com