1. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

How long will an agent usually take to respond to a query?

Discussion in 'Agent Discussion' started by DragonGrim, Jan 6, 2010.

On Nov. 24 I sent out 5 queries, and all of them have sample chapters (most wanted first 50pg.) I got one of my SASE back almost immediately with a rejection. Would it be odd for the other four to not respond at all? It’s been a month and a half.

2. Destin

Destin New Member

Hmm... never mind I have no idea as far as agents go.

3. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

That's not odd really when you consider it's been the holiday season.

Actually, you may not get a reply from all your queries, and sometimes the sample pages aren't returned if the agent didn't say they would return them. I always said in my covering letter that I didn't need the sample chapters back--but then I print stuff for free at work when everyone's left *evil laugh*.

Even if the agent requested an e-mail address you don't always hear very quickly. Up to 10 weeks can be normal I'd say. But no news is sometimes good news--maybe they are interested, and sending it on to be read by someone else, or perhaps at least they are going to write a personal reply instead of firing off the standard rejection.

4. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

You have nothing to worry about if you haven't heard from them yet, especially if they went on vacation for the holidays. I don't submit to agents, but the publishers I've submitted to varried from two weeks to six months response time.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there's no 'normal' time frame... a few agents may reply in days, many will take months, and some won't reply at all, if not interested...

didn't you check the guidelines of each one you queried, to see what they say about reply time?

6. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

Submission guidelines only specified the material they wanted from me. Each asked for a SASE, which is the only hint as to how they wanted to reply.

7. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

It's not wrong to e-mail an agent if you want more details on guidelines. So you don't sound like a desparately impatient amature, I'd suggest simply asking the question and not saying that you've already submitted to them.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you can also call and ask the firm's operator/receptionist what 'normal' reply time is for that agency/agent...

9. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

Coincidence, I got two rejections today