1. quotations here?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Deleted member 11749, Jul 31, 2009.

Hey all.
    I'm writing a piece where a character can communicate through his thoughts.
    For example, he will be sitting across from someone and his voice will be heard in that person's mind.
    So, are quotations used here?
    And if they are, and he said, for example:' "Hi," the voice said in his head.'
    And then later, after making it clear Man a) is speaking mentally, I can just say:' "Bye," the man said.' Rather than saying:'"Bye," the man said, his voice ringing through David's mind.'

This is confusing to explain I hope someone gets what I'm saying and thanks for your help if I get it !! :)

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's dialogue, whether face to face, over a comlink, shouted between mountain peaks, wigwagged with semaphores, or telepathically sent. Enclose it in quotes.

He said, she said - Mechanics of Dialogue

3. thanks Cog

4. architectus

architectus Banned

Once you have established they are telepathically talking, you don't have to keep using tags. You might want to remind us every once in a while they are still talking in their minds, though. However, once there is a change from mind to outloud, then you should make that clear.

5. Lijde

Lijde New Member

Personally, I just use italics for the first few lines, and then gradually switch over to quotes.

Or you could do it with just quotes, or just italics.

Also, stay away from the apostrophes when it comes to this- 'Hi.'

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

That is not a correct use for italics.

Single quotes instead of double quotes is a standard in UK English, although it it is going out of style in favor of double quotes.

He said, she said - Mechanics of Dialogue