1. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

Defining Factions in a Story

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Seraph751, Oct 19, 2016.

So I am currently working on defining the 3 Factions I have and so far I have turned my brain into pretzel and its had babies.
    :superthink:

I need for the Grey to be able to balance and at times have the strength/cunning to whack the other two into some semblance of normality.

Here are some ideas that I am currently bandying about:
    Light: Order/Possibilities/Absolutes
    Grey: Fate/How you define whatever....
    Dark: Chaos/Impossibilities/Non-Absolutes

I did not want Light and Dark to be good or evil, just needed them to oppose. The whole thing behind the possibilities and impossibilities is that the followers would decide what is possible or impossible. Another theory on this is that Possibilities are what we define and Impossibilities are what defined that we do not understand which grows evermore for with each possibility. Does this make sense? Taking Fate from the perspective that you make your own then this could serve to balance or whackage the other two, but I am not sure if it just seems like I am setting myself up for a fun fest... :wtf:
    Does this make sense? My concern is that it is going to end up too convoluted. I know the lines between light, grey, and dark are smudged so it needs a flexible, but no so flexible that the concept isn't understandable.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  2. IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName Senior Member Community Volunteer

I don't really understand, no. I mean, I see that Light is Order, and Dark is Chaos, and Grey is a balance between the two. Fate is the belief that everything is ordained (or at least the major events), which seems too far toward Order. Balance would be a better descriptor here - from what I understand, they exist merely to keep the other two factions from getting out of hand. Without a better explanation of what they do and their roles in the world/cosmos, that's the best I can offer.

Seraph751 likes this.
  3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    @Seraph751 might I suggest 40K Lore to help you figure this out, it kinda has a similar dynamic.
    Also it might help you get a better idea of how to make it work. Here are two playlists of Lore
    from the guy I like to explain the inner-workings of what you are looking at in terms of your
    factions dynamics. (The first is a mix of Pre-Horus Heresy and 40K proper, the second
    is more 30K to Pre-Heresy). Hope this helps a tad in figuring out what you want to do
    with your factions. :)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLx6N3LVwgba2DoXWGXq-lANYAamQTsWw9
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLx6N3LVwgba3qIaTE8xbtEwek8JpIfJMo

Seraph751 likes this.
  4. Seraph751

@Cave Troll thanks I will take a look!

5. Seraph751

Think of them as deity like beings. Light and Dark intrinsically do not like each other, but are dependent on the other for their world's balance. Grey came about due to the inevitable friction between the both deities. So for me, in order to a clearer picture on Light and Dark and what they represent as well as how they operate, I have based Grey on Fate as the jumping point to develop Light and Dark. I am just struggling with figuring out how they oppose each other with canceling the other or making one be "good" or "bad."