1. bsbvermont

bsbvermont Active Member

Logline or blurbie in query ??

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by bsbvermont, Jul 15, 2012.

Hi folks...Help Please!!! I have been wrestling with my query for weeks...and have to admit I have sent some off that weren't well thought out. It is my synopsis paragraph for Policy 99 that is challenging me. I have tried the logline and jacket blurbie formats. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Should I be writing a pragmatic synopsis to give my agent more info? Does the word "love" in the jacket blurbie version just make you think it belongs in the Romance department? ..any thoughts?

Logline Version:

When a coed unwittingly posts a photo online, it unleashes the upheaval of three lives: Anne Cooke who is ultimately responsible and the only online tie to the photo, Duncan McLean, the Australian visiting professor who risks his own life to keep her from harm, and Humara Abdi, the Somali mother who has fled the terrors of her country only to be rediscovered four years later.

Jacket Blurbie Version:

In the college town of Burlington, Vermont, the cultures of three continents intertwine in this tale of suspense, multiculturalism, and love. Anne Cooke chooses to find a new life filled with the self-realization she had denied herself in her recently dissolved marriage. Duncan McLean flies halfway across the world to rebuild his life and forget his past, and Humara Abdi, flees a country and a marriage that would have chained her ideals and those of her children. Wary of what life has brought them up until now, each one works together in this utopian refugee resettlement city to build on a future of promise, only to discover that the past is frighteningly close behind.

2. Maryea Curtis

Maryea Curtis New Member

I like the longline. Do you read query shark? I think it may have some information that you may find helpful.

3. Show

Show Contributing Member Contributor

From some of the stuff I've read, the shorter one is definitely better. You wanna condense your story as good as you can in the query. So I'd go with the logline.

4. bsbvermont

bsbvermont Active Member

Thanks to both of you...just checked out query shark...great tip! Thanks!

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

a logline is typically 25 words or less, so what you have there isn't one, really...

however, just a logline isn't enough... you can open the query with a short one, but you'll also need to include a full paragraph summary as the middle paragraph of the three that should make up the query letter... that's what you're calling a 'blurbie' [actually called a 'blurb' in the publishing business]...

6. bsbvermont

bsbvermont Active Member

mammamaia...I totally appreciate all the wonderful comments I see you make all over this site. You are truly a dedicated mentor...Thanks...I have also found query shark to be great as well.