1. Winterchase

Winterchase New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Loglines, synopsis and scripts

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by Winterchase, Sep 23, 2011.

I'm about ready to run a script up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes, but first...

I've written a dozen or so loglines and have one I believe stands out over the rest. It’s 32 words long, well within the so-called “industry standard” for length.

The script is the best I'm capable of. It's 117 pages, properly formatted (MovieMagic) and flies or dies on its own.

The synopsis, however, is the problem. One version is "short," nearly 500 words, but, in my opinion, while it may convey a “feeling” doesn't tell much about the story or the characters. The other version is "long," some 1,400 words, and tells it all without going into finite detail nor does it include unimportant points, secondary characters, descriptions or the usual “stuff” that’s included in the script. In other words, it's bare bones but succinct.

I paid to have coverage done, it received a “consider” ranking and the criticisms were appreciated and useful, but the synopsis (and logline) that was included with the service, quite frankly sucks and I'm not about to put it out there.

I know readers simply skim loglines, synopsis’ and scripts but if the opening paragraphs of the synopsis manages to get (and hold) their attention, is 1,400 words used to describe the story going to automatically send it to the circular file cabinet?

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

For what it's worth; I've read the synopsis of dozens of films on IMDb and the "Story Synopsis'" there run 2-3,000 words, and higher. I realize, I think, they're not the same as a reader would get but....
  2. AmyHolt

AmyHolt Contributing Member

Jun 22, 2011
    There is a similar thread right now in Publishers

To answer your question - sometimes. Most agents specify exactly what they want included with a query. Many are looking for a shorter synopsis. If you send something that doesn't match their specifications, you will start out with with a strike against you.
  3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

Nov 21, 2006
    ...not really... optimum is 25 words or less...

The script is the best I'm capable of. It's 117 pages, properly formatted (MovieMagic) and flies or dies on its own.

...current upper limit is 110... but if the query is good enough, the extra 7 may not matter...

the standard, acceptable size for a screenplay synopsis is a single page, single-spaced in tnr 12 pt, consisting of one paragraph for each 'act'... there is no acceptable 'long version'... some agents/producers may at some point ask for a 'treatment' but that is a totally different thing...

just one reason why i would never recommend that a newbie pay for coverage!

probably, because that's several times over the mandated 'single page'... and if the newbie didn't even bother to find out what's 'normal' in the biz, they're not likely to take him/her or his/her work seriously

those are not even close to submission quality synopses [that's the proper plural spelling, btw], so to use them as an example of what you need to send agents/producers would be nonsensical, sorry to say

if you want tips from the pros on how to write proper, effective loglines and synopses, you can email me any time...

love and hugs, maia