Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Sci-Fi Writing Contest

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Daniel, Jan 7, 2012.

Hey WF,

I'm pleased to announce a new writing contest. I know it's been a while, so hopefully we can have some fun with this one. This writing contest will be a science fiction short story, and has our largest prize pool yet.

Contest Requirements:

• Must be a science fiction short story
    • Word count must be between 3,000 & 10,000 total words
    • Submissions must be received on or by February 20th, 2012

Contest Prizes

• 1st: $250, Featured in 1st Edition of our e-zine (Q1 or Q2), 2 years Supporter Membership
    • 2nd: $50, Amazon book credit (up to $20), 1 year Supporter Membership
    • 3rd-5th: Amazon book credit (up to $20), 6 month Supporter Membership
    • 6th-10th: 6 month Supporter Membership

Contest Judging

The judging for this short story process will come in two parts. During the first part, contest judges will select the top ten entrants. These judges will include myself, prominent forum members, and other volunteers. There will be ten contest finalists. Submissions will be judged on traditional writing merits, such as plot, character development, style, etc. Judges will rank stories based on these criteria, and the top stories will make the public vote. To vote in the public, you must meet certain requirements and confirm that you've read all ten finalist's stories.

Once the finalists have been selected, the top ten entries will face a week-long public poll. The top finalist after one week is the contest winner.

Additional notes:

- By entering, you consent to allowing WritingForums.org publish your 1st place short story in the first edition of our e-zine, whenever that may be released
    - We are looking for a few contest judges. Judges agree to review their stories unbiased, and are ineligible to enter the contest. Staff are also ineligible.
    - We reserve the rights to change the terms of the contest at any time.
    - We will take precautions to prevent voter fraud
    - When you enter the contest, your entry is final; you will not be allowed to edit your entry, so make sure it's perfect.
    - Please share this contest on facebook, twitter, your blog, and elsewhere on the web. If this contest helps us get publicity, we'll see more of them in the future.
    - To enter, simply start a thread in this writing contest forum.

If you have any questions regarding the writing contest, please ask them here.

Good luck!

Please direct questions to this thread.

2. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I apologize for being missing and not addressing the contest judging. Early this month I ran into some misfortune, a serious personal issue, which I've been dealing with all month. It was a serious issue that has taken up all my time and resources, so I had to delay contest judging. It's been taken care of, for the time being, and judging is finally underway.

If you were unable to post your full entry, email it to me at support@writingforums.org ASAP. If I don't receive it in the next two days, I can't guarantee it will be judged.

Public voting of the top entries will happen this week.

If you have any further questions, feel free to post them in this thread or PM me.

Additionally, to encourage participation in the public voting, only the top five entries will be selected, instead of the top ten.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.