Tags:
  1. Aaron J. Clark

Aaron J. Clark New Member

I Just Want To Write

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Aaron J. Clark, Jul 1, 2016.

I just want to write things that make you laugh and cry, make you nostalgic and regretful, make you sad and angry, reconcile you with the bad, challenge you to consider that you could be wrong, state the truth, shun the false, convict the fool, tear your heart out and give it a massage -- and I want to do it all with beautiful craft, using English to the fullest of its limits, pushing it beyond that even.

That's all that matters. Who I am doesn't. I couldn't even tell you about me if I wanted to -- I would only do that or any other descriptive task through poetry and prose. Yeah, I'd "show" you -- I know, like the cliche you've heard, "Show, don't tell." Well, I've heard it enough to try and live by it.

I've written a lot of words, but not many poems. I've sculpted many characters, but not too many novels. I try to stay away from cursing, but to be honest, my production method is truly shit -- feces in its true form.

I listed some of my failures this morning on a piece of paper. I listed several stories that have taken days of my mind, but with no final product to show for it. I'm tired of not finishing, and failing at writing -- it's got me close to giving up on writing. But if I gave up now, I'd have to curse my mother for training me in English and resign myself wholly to the failure. I'm sick of mediocrity, but why give myself to it? So that's why I'm here, to push my writing.

Disclaimer: Normally I don't write like I'm stabbing somebody, but I was kind of feeling that today. I'm actually a pretty funny and goofy guy -- but hey, there I am telling and not showing. Anyways, I suppose silliness and cynicism have their own pendulum.

- Aaron J. Clark

bonijean2 likes this.
  2. A man called Valance

A man called Valance Senior Member

Hello Aaron J. Clark. Lesson number 1: There's a time for showing and a time for telling. Welcome to the site.

3. FireWater

FireWater Senior Member

Welcome!

4. Terrie000

Terrie000 Member

You are a writer with the fact you put so many words (with thoughts) on an introduction. Finishing a story is probably the hardest challenge for any writer. I wouldn't call myself a writer since I have never written a single completed story in my life, yet that doesn't stop me from trying to make my first story a multi-series fantasy novel. I don't write for a living, I don't need to sell a million books, so I'm only writing for my own self - to train myself on patience, on the language, on meeting a new community full of writers like yourself that I can learn from, and of course I would love if I can find people that appreciate my story and enjoy reading it!

It's been 8 months since I first started writing and I am just resuming on Chapter 2 after quitting for several months. Tell me about it :)

bonijean2 likes this.