1. Jamie Sanders

Jamie Sanders New Member

New York City

Discussion in 'Research' started by Jamie Sanders, Jun 2, 2016.

My main character is a young columnist living in an apartment in New York City. From leaving her apartment to reaching her office building, what is the most probable way that she would get there?

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Subway, cab or walk—what's the distance?

Jamie Sanders likes this.
  3. Jamie Sanders

Jamie Sanders New Member

In the story, I originally had her driving to work until I realized that probably would not be the case in NYC. I think cab would work well.

4. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

The subways are way more common to take to work than a cab, cabs are expensive comparatively. Also, where is the apartment compared to the office? If they aren't in the same borough, a cab ride is probably out.

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Yes, subway and walking is probably how most people do it. Taking a cab can get expensive quickly.

Biking can work, too.

6. Jamie Sanders

Jamie Sanders New Member

Had not even considered biking. That may work. Thanks.

7. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Depends on where you are. In Brooklyn? Yeah. In midtown? No. There are bike lanes, but i rarely see anyone other than delivery people on them.

8. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Yes, we would need more information from the OP.

9. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

Respect the setting, props.

It depends on multiple factors. This includes distance, time period, and income.

If we're considering a more modern aspect there are multiple apps which allow easier travel. These include Uber, Lyft, and certain other NY specialized apps (taxi mainly).

Biking, walking, or the subway have been standard transportation for a long time now.

With each choice there are other considerations. If your M.C. uses a bike it's more than possible that at some point it gets stolen. Even with the best of locks, take Kryptonite for instance, can be dealt with quickly by a professional criminal ring. Walking can incur mugging and subways have always been seedy.

Taxi fare is incredibly high. However, Uber and Lyft are cheaper and more reliable. Distance is the largest factor here.

NY is based off grids and systems. There's normally a combination of transportation to get from point A to point B. You may have to walk or take a taxi to get to the subway station. Then you take a few stops, transfer over to another train, and take another taxi home.

Want versatile? Folding bike. Even if they use the subway or a taxi cab they can attach it to any bag with proper straps.

JadeX and Jamie Sanders like this.
  10. tropicanahana

tropicanahana Member

NYC also has a public bike system in place, inspired by the kinds that Paris/european cities use. It's called citibike. They are inspiring more bikers, I could never be brave enough to take a bike in the city personally, seems ntensely dangerous and not for the fant of heart or novice biker haha. I have seen a 100% increase in bikers over the past decade though! Think of where exactly she lives and where exactly she works, think of an actual address that fits your story. Then put the two into google maps for directions, and your best routes will be displayed.