1. Atlas

Atlas New Member

Looking for a collaboration partner

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by Atlas, Aug 30, 2008.

I am currently looking for someone to collaborate with on a fictional fantasy story. The plot is fresh and new and its all mapped out. Character descriptions along with the setting are also finished. What I really need help with, and thus the collaboration, is the detailed writing part. Its not that I couldn't or wouldn't do it, it is that I am looking for someone to make my writing better and more detailed. I would like to get to know anyone who volunteers first, as this story has been brewing in my head for some time now. Thanks very much.
    -Atlas

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Atlas,

I'll give my honest opinion here. Good ideas and plots? That's the easy part. Putting them to paper. That's where the time, sweat, skill and even talent come in. I would venture to guess that upwards of 95% of those on this forum have good ideas for plots, themes, characters, etc.

Are you looking for a collaborator or a ghost writer?

I guess I don't get this statement:
    What does the collaborator get out of the partnership? To write your ideas with your guidance into a novel fit for publication?

If you're willing to do the actual writing, then write it. After you've done that, find a crit partner or a crit group, or a pool of readers, or even find (pay as a last resort/if absolutely necessary?) someone to edit.

Maybe there will be takers for your offer, and if so I hope the relationship works out and you're both successful in the endeavor.

Good luck with your project.

Terry

3. LBK

LBK New Member

I suppose that even though I share many of the sentiments listed by TWErvin, I would like to offer my help. I'm willing to take the challenge and contribute to the best of my abilities, whether this makes me collaborator or ghost writer.

I look forward to sharing a part in your ideas.

For me, any writing experience is good writing experience.

4. TWErvin2

A thought that crossed my mind after posting. Any collaborators should form a binding agreement before the project gets underway.

Some things to consider:

If the project is sold, what is the royalty split? Or will a fee for the co-writer, ghost writer, collaborator be paid up front, or on contingency?
    Who has the say to the contract terms offered by a publisher? Do both have to agree?
    Who 'owns' the characters and such, especially if the partnership does not go beyond the first works.
    Who will work with the editors of the publishing house? Or will be be by committee?
    I don't know if this is an issue, but whose name will the copyright go into (if there is more than one?).
    How will the costs for printing, submitting, marketing, etc. be determined/split?

Those are just a few off the top of my head. I am sure there are more. But I think it should be determined, preferably before the work is started, but certainly before it is submitted.

Good luck.

Terry

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what terry says is valid advice that must be taken seriously, if you don't want to lose your 'baby'... i'll repeat what i wrote in your intro post:

you'll find a very good collaboration contract model at www.wga.org in the 'for writers' section... while it's obviously for screenwriters, it still covers all the things terry mentioned, as well as the raft of other important things beyond those, that you must deal with BEFORE you start working together... after is ALWAYS too late...

don't learn the hard way, as some i've known did...

love and hugs, maia

6. Ommonite

Ommonite New Member

why work with somone who hasalready planned everything?

7. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Doesn't the publisher take care of marketing and printing?

8. TWErvin2

Acglaphotis,

I was talking about printing mansucripts for submission, for example. Marketing...especially for first time authors, most publishers do not put a lot into it. So that falls upon the writer...going to conferences and being on pannels, traveling and doing book signings, paying for a domain name, website hosting and maintaining a website, etc.

Sorry I wasn't clear on that. But your right, a publisher will pay for the printing, cover art and distribution of a novel.

Terry