1. sylvertech

sylvertech Active Member

Any health nuts here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sylvertech, Jan 11, 2013.

I tend to be a health freak at times.

Not always, just usually.

So for example I never buy candy or sodas or juice or potato chips or coffee,
    and only occasionally agree to have some if I am offered any.

I also intend to become a vegetarian soon.

The most irritating matter is that I constantly wander back and count what I ate that day and calculate what I still need and what I should not approach.

2. Drusy

Drusy New Member

The couting might be considered a little obsessive (no offense) but as long as it doesn't go overboard ...

I'm a bit of a health nut myself (food wise).

3. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Cardiac problems make for a list ten miles long of the things I cannot have...Skim milk, cereal, veggies, lean proteins, and fruit make up the majority of what I can have. Seven stints and two serious infarctions will make anyone a little OCD about keeping healthy. Sad thing is, mine is all genetic, not what I consume.

My dogs and yoga ball keep me very active, usually 3 - 5 miles of walking/day, if my schedule allows.

4. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

My family and I are a lot healthier than we use to be, because of new allergies and foods we have to stay away from. Main thing is sugar. My sister has bad high blood pressure, so 2 years ago we stripped refined sugar completely from our diet. I don't eat anything over 8-10 grams...peanut butter, fruit, frozen coolwhip, and granola bars are my treats. Last year my creative mom found ways to make sugarless pies and tarts with jelly which are so good. :) Unlike my sister, I could eat sugar if I wanted, but my body has grown used to the low sugar count. I ate three cups of Jello once (during my wisdom teeth removal) and that wasn't a good idea...my own blood pressure and anxiety sky rocketed. So, I dislike Jello now.

My mom can't have any kind of dairy either and we stick to organic meats too. Lately, my mom and dad have been trying to stay off of carbs, but no way will I give up my bread! I love it too much.

5. Talmay

Talmay Member

Need to be healthier, honestly.

My job ensures constant exercise, but the problem is my diet. Soda is my lifeblood. It's like coffee for me: without it, the day has not begun. I have been trying to ween off, bit by bit, only to cave in three weeks later.

6. BallerGamer

BallerGamer Active Member

I'm not a health nut but I've jumped in the recent rend of super foods. I still eat whatever I want, but I try to balance it out with green smoothies. I also drink a lot of lemon water, coconut water, acai juice, and sometimes I'll take turmeric when I eat a huge meal and I feel like I'll get indigestion. Ever since I've been taking these, while cutting down on my drinking, ridding myself completely of smoking and drinking soda, I've been losing weight without even exercising. I've started exercising recently and I've been losing weight fast.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm a vegetarian, but on moral grounds only, not for health reasons...

that said, i have been pretty healthy since giving up the eating or use of any murdered fellow animals over 15 years ago... at 74, i don't even have a doctor, as i don't need one for anything...

8. sylvertech

sylvertech Active Member

What I did not mention was that I am not yet a vegetarian since I live with my parents still (sixteen years old),
    and it would be too troublesome to force them to stop buying meats and buy more healthier foods for my sake.

I climb four flights of stairs four to five times a day,
    not including any casual walking or exercise, so I guess I'm fine. *sarcasm*

9. Pea

Pea super pea!

Not really a 'health nut', but I do believe that good exercise and good food is essential to keep the mind of a writer firing on all cylinders.

10. Makeshift

Makeshift Active Member

I have a tendency to go a bit overboard obsessing about health, although I really don't have any health problems. A while back I actually started to worry that I might be developing anorexia. Now I'm 178 cm tall and weigh about 65 kg and still occasionally I look at the mirror and think I could loose a bit more. As far as diet is conserned, since I'm into weight training, I try to get as much protein as possible. Since I moved out of my parents' house I've reduced eating meat, but not stopped it completely.

11. scrappy

scrappy New Member

Hi,

Nice to meet you all.

Yes, I'm a total health nut and I'm glad to see that other people combine writing and being a health freak.

I've been into bodybuilding about as long as creative writing- they are my two passions in life. I like to spend a couple of hours in the gym a day and eat with a goal of minimal bodyfat. Most of my friends are in the fitness industry so I don't really notice, until I'm say, at work and I'm sat with water, cottage cheese and raw veg and then I get weird looks ha ha.

12. BritInFrance

BritInFrance Active Member

Yeah, me too. But I drink (probably too much) and eat far too much crisps, chocolate and cheese. So, no not a health freak. But I do walk the dog a lot every day, and bring the wood in etc.

13. bmacd

bmacd Member

Hey guys! I'd classify myself as a health nut. I've been vegan for nine years (not that that necessarily makes me 'healthy' in its own right). I love learning about food, cooking and experimenting! Might be neat to exchange some recipes or something. I wish I had more time/motivation to work out, but I do enjoy yoga a lot and I try to do that 4-5 times a week. As a Canadian (and a baby about the cold), I find way too many excuses not to go for walks haha.

14. Jack Dawkins

Jack Dawkins New Member

I'm not a health nut but I've learned a few things over the years. Don't diet..just eat sensibly. be a sceptic, don't trust labels, Nutritionists someone is always paying them to support their agenda. There are others but just don't obsess about the food you eat. It's mainly fuel but is more palatable if it looks and tastes good.
    EAT SLOW CHEW YOUR FOOD and you will not require large portions.
    Sugar is bad but sugar substitutes are worse so if you must have sugar look into cocnut palm sugar.
    Bread is a killer literally and don't get fooled by whole wheat is okay. The problem stems from corporations genetically modifiying seeds to a point that they are no longer nutritional and digestible. If you must eat bread eat only bread made from 100% sprouted grain or ancient grains.
    Forget fat free it's not healthy. If you're a vegetarian and you're eating a sweet potatoe and if you don't put some butter or oil on it you are not getting the nuitritional value from it. Use whole butter, ghee, coconut oil, red palm oil, olive oil. (look for virgin, coldpressed, organic when possible)
    As a rule of thumb for me any way if some Corporation has produced a product that they claim is healtjier the the original, raw product I avoid it like the plague.

15. scrappy

scrappy New Member

I agree about nutritionists, Jack. I don't believe diet is that important, as long as you are eating sensibly. Diet is a very complex subject so it's easy for a personal trainer to justify their job by going on about diet.
    I avoid fat and simple carbs. I also have 30-40g of protein every two and a half hours.
    A person can control their hormone levels with diet to a minor extent but most people don't have to concentrate on that.
    I do think it's important to consume 2-4 litres of water every day, because as well as keeping the body hydrated it prevents subcutainiously stored fluid. And drinking is the worst. Stops the metabolism for three days, floods the body with oestrogen and is filling the body with lots of useless calories.

16. Allan Paas

Allan Paas New Member

I don't drink coffee nor tea anymore, been years. Haven't even tried smoking, nor beer and vodka, or any drugs, and never will. No junk food, no sodas, no coca-colas and no other crap like that.
    I work out regularly, almost every day. On average about 10-14 hours a week, plus I have a physical "dayjob".
    Not a health nut but I simply know what is good for me and what is not. Why should I knowingly harm myself, what would be the point? I'd rather live a life as healthy as possible and not struggle later in life with problems I could have prevented so easily. Plus I like being healthy.

17. Knarfia

Knarfia New Member

I've been a vegetarian all my life, a very unhealthy one for most of it. It wasn't until I became pregnant with twins that I realized things had to change. I finally developed a taste for vegetables. People think they don't like vegetables because they don't treat them with the same respect they do meat. Vegetables need to be fresh, cooked properly (roasting or grilling is usually best) and well seasoned. If you wouldn't like your steak canned, boiled, or devoid of seasonings, then why do that to your veggies? My OB, an overweight, red faced and bleary eyed man, was concerned about my diet, but my boys were born perfectly healthy and right on schedule. I made eating right my main priority, making sure to eat lots of beans, legumes, fruits and veggies, and LOTS of healthy fats. Fat is not the devil it's made out to be! It actually helps us to feel full so we end up consuming less calories. I've also found that as long as I'm eating well my cravings are spot-on. If you're eating foods that contain msg or loads of preservatives, your body gets confused and can't remember what's good for it. I know that if I'm craving salt, it's because I need iodine, so I eat something with salt. And so on. There is a lot of misinformation out there. Some of it even comes from the ADA, who are still clinging to outdated findings. It's all about listening to our bodies. I know what makes me feel good, and what doesn't.

18. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Being diagnosed with a double copy of homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia puts a damper on even wanting to eat. Nearly everything causes massive chest pain because I can't deal with the lipids. Raw veggies and fruits, whole grain, and skim milk are about the only things that don't, but I'm a fussy eater, a whole texture palatability issue, I can't seem to wrap my head around. I'm not a vegetarian in any sense of the word, but I avoid most animal proteins, with the exception of milk, at all costs.

Everyone tells you what not to eat, but not everyone understand the difference between saying, I shouldn't have that and I cannot have that. It makes an uphill battle just that much tougher. My family fusses at me about my weight, which is low, but how can one possibly explain the pain? The answer is simple, you can't. Until you've experienced it, there is no understanding it.

Some people count calories, carbs, points, reps, laps, or a number on a scale. I track my LDL, HDL, and triglycerides weekly and count the number of weeks I can go without apheresis. Six weeks has been the milestone to beat. I walk to maintain the endurance I have and keep my heart in condition. My life has become a series of numbers, neat and orderly, but so very complicated at the same time.

Don't know if this makes me a health nut, or just overly cautious. I live in the midwest and food here is something of a religion. People love it and lots of it. Ordering skim milk or a chicken sandwich with no mayo, cheese, or bacon will garner you a look that says you have grown a second head. Or my favorite comment, which I've received on more than one occasion: "Do you have an eating disorder or something?"

Sorry about the rambling, but a word of advice from one on the outside looking in: Enjoy the good things in moderation and keep active. If something doesn't feel right, listen to your instincts and get it checked or seek a second opinion, as may be the case.

19. Junipergins

Junipergins New Member

I'm not a health nut, but I have good habits, which I owe entirely to my parents.

I run a lot now. I'm not good at all.
    I'm not saying I'm getting better at it, or that I enjoy the results of it (looking fitter, feeling healthier). I suck at it. I look like a sweaty turnip when I run. I'm slower than a one legged turtle on dial-up.

But its the weirdest thing. I'm starting to like running, just for the sake of running. I'm trying to maintain this "run for fun" attitude, but its hard. Sometimes I take a coupl shots before a strap on my sneakers :)

20. marilynt

marilynt New Member

I'm certainly no health nut but I do try to stay away from sugars and do pretty well except for my morning apple juice, it justs seems to start my morning off well. Working at switching the usually morning carbs like toast or cereal for a more protein focused plan. Any ideas for something other than cheese and eggs?

21. onlybacon

onlybacon New Member

IM HUNGRY. I weigh 120. I have a million unhealthy habits due to poverty. I don't get breakfast. I eat free donuts and popcorn all day long while at work. I drink on average six cups of free black coffee a day. What is possibly wrong with coffee?!! (It even makes you poop!) I do get dinner -which is either: Mac/Cheese. Pancakes. Rice. or Potatoes.

But I also live in Alaska where we depend on food that is shipped to us and therefore more expensive. Plus welfare resources are limited.

Honestly I get use to eating so little (brain manipulation) so it doesn't really bother me. I dislike the feeling of gut busting fullness.

IF I had the money to afford it, I would put the effort into being a health nut so that I could gain some healthy looking weight.

but at least I don't need to pay for a gym membership when there is a free mountain in my backyard.