1. midjuneproject

midjuneproject New Member

Looking for advice

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by midjuneproject, Oct 17, 2011.

To start off, I am mostly a poems and lyrics person. I have always been interested in working in longer forms, but the timing is never there. Over the past few years there has been a lot of change in my writing. Some of it could be reflective of larger attitude changes, I think, but sometimes I worry.
    Mostly the change is I tend to write much less than I previously did, and the subject material feels shallow and tends to be angry. I find myself not taking chances, or going deep within myself to write.
    For some background, it first started around the time my grandfather passed away, I noticed maybe the writing was political rather than personal, which really isn't my forte. I didn't mind the change so much at first but much of it had an unpolished feel even from the go, I started to feel like none of it would really add up to anything. Not to long after that my mother was diagnosed with cancer and after a year long battle which was not at pleasant and a lot of time virtually waiting for her time to come, she finally found her own peace. My writing has suffered even more after this.
    I have always felt that the point to any type of art, writing included, is to discover something about oneself and in turn be revealing that to the world. Even just generally discovering something. But all I seem to have is anger, and I am starting to wonder if there is something I am afraid of finding in me.

I went through all sorts of writer's block things, but the problem is that it is not that I am not writing. The problem is the subject matter is juvenile, the general tone is just rage, and the depth is motel kiddy swimming pool. So just looking at it from a block doesn't help.

I was wondering if any one had a similar experience and maybe had some advice for how they handled it. I mean any ideas whatsoever would be just spectacular. Thank you for your help.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i can't offer any advice without seeing the best of what you've been writing, but if you'd like a mentor, or just some neutral and knowledgeable feedback on the quality of your output, drop me a line any time...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com