1. mbinks89

mbinks89 Active Member

Sci-fi novella?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by mbinks89, Apr 3, 2013.

Anyone know publishers of sci-fi novellas? I've been looking through the internet, and I see either short story or novel publishers, but haven't found any sci-fi novella publishers. My novella's 25,000 words, if that helps at all.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Novellas are very haed to sell. There is practically no market for novellas, outside of YA. And even there, opportunities are sparse.

3. mbinks89

mbinks89 Active Member

Just my luck . . .

4. alexandriadeloraine

alexandriadeloraine Member

Hey Binks;

If you're looking to sell to a serious publisher and make royalties / retain some of your rights, you might have a bit of
    a tough time about it, but good luck. If you'd be happy just earning a few hundred dollars for it and you don't mind
    selling your rights off entirely, there are a lot of folks who would pay you anywhere from $200 - $600 or more, depending
    on the quality of your work.

The downside is that you give up all your rights, and usually it doesn't even have your name on it when / if it does get
    published; but at least you get some cash for the story. It's really a matter of what you'll accept, terms-wise. -shrug-

Good luck with your work, however you decide to handle it. :)

- Alexandria de Loraine

5. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

mbinks89,

Novellas are harder to sell, but ebook publishers are more open to them these days.

I gave a writing friend publish with Musa Publishing a while back. He's moderately happy with them, but he also wants his book to come out in print and they don't do that unless the ebook takes off. His has sold some, but not enough apparently. A novella would probably only be ebook. Although his isn't SF, they do have a SF imprint.

You can check duotrope but they charge now for access.

There is Ralans Webstravaganza, which focuses on SF/Fantasy and Horror markets.

You can google the names for the links, or PM me.

Good luck!

Terry