1. Julia

Julia New Member

Looking for epic fantasy written in first person pov

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Julia, Aug 18, 2012.

I am having a hard time finding some. :/ Actually, I only found one so far: Robin Hobbs Farseer trilogy. Google seems to be less helpful, as I keep getting results of people fighting over what is better, first or third person pov. >.<

In any case… anyone know a good book that fits the bill? I am looking for classic epic fantasy, like Tolkien or George R.R. Martin or Ursula K. LeGuin (Earthsea). Something with magic, traveling and made-up cultures.
    Not urban fantasy, or stuff based too tight on legend (vampires, werewolves) or science fiction (those seem way more common :)).

Thanks!

- Julia

2. luna claire

luna claire Member

Well, it's not epic fantasy but the only one I can think of that is written in first person perspective is Tamora Pierce's Beka Cooper series. Terrier, Bloodhound and Mastiff which is told in the form of diary entries. It is a fantasy, takes place in a fictional world, and it has glimpses of other cultures, languages, ect. Magic is used but not overly so. I'm not sure if this helps. Most fantasies that I have read are in third person persepctive. Sorry.

3. Julia

Julia New Member

Ofc it helps! Three books even. Awsome. :D

I have heard of Tamora Pierce, but never got around to read any of her stuff. The premise looks interesting.

And they are even out as audiobooks. I am one happy ‘puppy’. ;)

4. luna claire

luna claire Member

Very glad that I helped!:D. The Beka Cooper series are the only ones that I have read by Tamora Pierce, but I really enjoyed them!

5. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Consider reading Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber series. It's epic and in first person POV.

Another solid writer in first person POV fantasy would be Steven Brust, especially his Vlad Taltos series.

Those are the two I read and studied before writing my novels. Made it easy because they tell good stories.

They're fast paced with interesting settings and characters. Differenty types of POV characters as well (Corwin vs. Vlad Taltos).

6. Bagabon

Bagabon Banned

Check out the kingkiller chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. It is pretty much exactly what you asked for, magic, traveling, made-up cultures. One of my favorites.

7. Melvin Morrow

Melvin Morrow New Member

First, sorry if I misunderstood you on this, but I do believe there are three more books by Robin Hobb (Fool's Errand, Golden Fool, Fool's Fate) called the Tawny Man books or something similar. Even though I've read the Farseer trilogy I haven't read these so I can't say at all if they fit the style you're looking for, but seeing as it's the same author it's a good chance they do. Now, if you have already read them or you meant these books from the start (as said I'm a bit unsure on what these three are called) I do apologize.

8. Julia

Julia New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions! :)

I have read other stuff by Zelazny and enjoyed it. I think I even have the Amber series around here somewhere (the chiwawa killer edition). Had no idea they are written in first person. Thanks for the tip. :)

Never heard of Vlad Taltos, but they sound cool (and I like the book covers – sometimes the small things make me happy :< )

This book keeps popping up as someone or others favourites. I better read it, so I know what the fuss is about. :D

I didn't know that. I assumed there was only those 3 books, because wiki told me it was so. ;)

I just started Assassin's Apprentice a few weeks back, and so far I like it allot. Good to know there is more.

Thanks for pointing it out to me. :)

9. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Since TWErvin is too modest to suggest his own novels, I'll do it for him ;). I believe the series is meant to be a trilogy (correct me if I'm wrong here), and the first 2 books have been published. They're called Flank Hawk and Blood Sword and fit the criteria you're looking for in a fantasy novel.

Terry, I only recently found out that the second book has been out for quite some time. Shame on me for not keeping track. Congratulations once again.

10. Julia

Julia New Member

Actually, I took 'before writing my novels' as a hint, followed the link in his sig and am atm reading the free pages on amazon. ;)

11. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Thanks, Thirdwind. Yes, Blood Sword has been out a while, and I am writing the third novel in the series (working title is Soul Forge). However my First Civilization's Legacy Series isn't meant to be a trilogy. The first two novels were written as standalone, and it took me a while to study and figure out how to do that...so that readers of Flank Hawk could read and enjoy Blood Sword, but readers new to the series could pick up and start with Blood Sword, read it and fully enjoy it as well, even though many of the characters and some of the previous storyline carry over to the second novel. It's not as easy to write a sequel that compliments yet stands alone as one might think--at least not for me it wasn't.

Julia, it was a minor hint but, if you've seen some of my posts here, you now I'm a strong advocate of writers learning and developing skills by studying how successful authors have done it. If they're concerned about using "I" too often in first person POV and want to know how to avoid doing that, for example, I suggest they pick up novels written in first person POV, study the wording and techniques of those authors and apply what they learn to their own writing style and project.

Thanks for taking a look at my novels' previews. While I think my stories are a pretty darn good read (and hope you do as well), I'm not quite in the league of Zelazny and Brust. Thus, if you're looking to learn while you read and enjoy, they'd be first string while my works would be second string.

Note: With Roger Zelazny's Amber Chronicles, in my opinion, the first five in the series, that focus mainly on Corwin, are superior to the second five, that focus more on his son, Merlin.