1. cuzzo

cuzzo New Member

Best Bildungsroman Stories (Non-Series)?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by cuzzo, Oct 2, 2011.

I've spent my whole life reading almost exclusively Bildungsroman (coming-of-age) type stories and I always try to expand into other genres there's just something about those stories that, no matter how old I get, I can't get enough of them.

Anyway, it seems that the older I get, the more I appreciate brevity in writing (which I think is the opposite of how it's supposed to work =[ ).

I used to hunt out series books. I always liked how familiar that I could get with characters in them. But, as I get older, series are starting to become somewhat of a turn off. It just seems that the non-series books like Phantom Tollbooth have started to dominate my list of favorite books. The problem is that it's really easy to find out about a good series book, but finding good non-series books is a lot harder (at least for me).

If any of you would like to post your favorites, I'd really appreciate it.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I can only think of two books off the top of my head. One is Portrait of the Artist by James Joyce, and the other is Black Boy by Richard Wright.

3. cuzzo

cuzzo New Member

I've heard really good things about Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, so mayhbe this will be my next one then. Thanks!